Photo

2017 Saanich municipal by-election

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#141 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

I'm familiar with the business and while the printer will ask the customer several times if the copy has been triple-checked, they should never offer to proofread it as that leaves the company liable for any and all errors. You don't want the customer saying, "there's a comma where a semi-colon should have been, you said you'd proofread it, you'll have to reprint the entire job at your expense". You could point out an error but not promise to proof everything.

If accuracy is vital, hire a professional editor--then the liability is on them. That said, I have, on occasion, pointed out some unfortunate typos for a customer.

My election sign graphics were submitted as a .pdf or .jpg so altering them was impossible.

Overall, I think the quality of all signs is pretty good for a municipal by election.

Edited by Rob Randall, 16 September 2017 - 07:35 PM.

#142 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

.....at least we won't have to rename it.

#143 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

A lot of people wanting to vote at Gordon Head. A wait to get your ballot and another lineup to stick it in the single electronic ballot reader. More volunteers and a second machine would have sped things up.

I think I will vote for Geoghegan. Density is the key issue that is being ignored and the fact that a small single-storey bank building is under construction on a prime commercial lot in the heart of Gordon Head's urban village centre points to the insanity of the situation.

Polls close at 8 pm.
  • jonny likes this

#144 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

^ I don't think it is being ignored, I just think that the majority of people are happy with the density we have. I haven't seen anyone out protesting that we should become another Langford with 30 minute waits to get to the grocery store due to congestion.

#145 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

A lot of people wanting to vote at Gordon Head. A wait to get your ballot and another lineup to stick it in the single electronic ballot reader. More volunteers and a second machine would have sped things up.

I think I will vote for Geoghegan. Density is the key issue that is being ignored and the fact that a small single-storey bank building is under construction on a prime commercial lot in the heart of Gordon Head's urban village centre points to the insanity of the situation.

Polls close at 8 pm.

Uhh, council rejected that proposal once. The property was marketed for years as a multi-story office development that never took off. Council can't dictate that.

As for who to vote for, Geoghegan definitely wouldn't get my vote if I lived in Saanich. Temperment is all wrong to be a good  councillor (I do agree with some of his ideas, but his tax proposals are ludicrous at best)

• Rob Randall and John M. like this

#146 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

I voted for Mike G. Painless to vote at Commonwealth, but they were saying turnout has been very good.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#147 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

Went back to the Gordon Head rec centre at 6 pm, this time the place was dead. Glancing at the big book, hardly any names were crossed off, implying voter turnout was predictably poor.

I recognize Geoghegan could be a bomb-thrower and his lower tax pledge is laughable. He's not mayor material but as councillor he can't do much harm.

The rest of the field didn't stand out very much for me. Same old bunch of hand-wringers.

Edited by Rob Randall, 23 September 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#148 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:15 PM

Went back to the Gordon Head rec centre at 6 pm, this time the place was dead. Glancing at the big book, hardly any names were crossed off, implying voter turnout was predictably poor.

I recognize Geoghegan could be a bomb-thrower and his lower tax pledge is laughable. He's not mayor material but as councillor he can't do much harm.

The rest of the field didn't stand out very much for me. Same old bunch of hand-wringers.

Who'd you vote for!!?/!!!!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#149 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

Geoghegan. He won't get in but what the hell.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#150 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:04 PM

I didn't make it to a polling station today.blah.

#151 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

So was Derman really that great? Most of the candidates seem to gush over the guy.

#152 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:14 PM

Results:

http://www.saanich.c...y-election.html

#153 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:18 PM

Karen Harper won. Explains all of the elderly folks I saw at the polling station. She seems alright, but her platform is super vague.
  • Coreyburger likes this

#154 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:18 PM

Looks like Karen Harper? When does it become 'official'?

I like her better than the other two top runners. Sorry, Mike, 4rth place...

#155 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:23 PM

Her website, which has a lot of details: https://www.karenharper.ca/

She was the one Attwell supported as well.

#156 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

And in 13 months they'll go through it all over again.

#157 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:29 PM

So was Derman really that great? Most of the candidates seem to gush over the guy.

Some folks loved him, some thought he was a zealot. 

#158 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:29 PM

She won with less then 25% of the vote! Even in her best precint, Gordon Head, she didn't even pull in 30%! Democracy at its finest. 

#159 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

Left (Chambers, Wickson, Mersereau, Taylor): 55.4%

Right (Geoghegan, Harper): 33.7%

Everyone Else (Davidoff, Henderson, Newby, Pollard: 10.9%

#160 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:36 PM

Glad that Harper got in over Chambers. Lets hope she can cut her teeth over the next year and hold the spot. Be good to have a numbers person that isnt part of the NDP kindergarden class.

Surprised Wickson polled so poorly, I thought he would have had a lock on the Gorge Tillicum crowd.

• John M. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users