Photo

Robert Mueller Investigates

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,918 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

Special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election has widened The Washington Post  reported, citing officials.

The probe now seeks to determine whether President Donald Trump attempted to obstruct justice, officials told the Post.

A spokesman for Trump's lawyer told NBC: "The FBI leak of information regarding the President is outrageous, inexcusable and illegal."

People familiar with the matter told the Post that the obstruction of justice probe started in the wake of Trump's firing of former FBI Director James comey.

Mueller's team will interview Dan Coats, director of national intelligence, Mike Rogers, head of the National Security Agency, and Richard Ledgett,

former deputy director of the NSA, the Post reported, citing five people briefed on the interview requests.

http://www.cnbc.com/...ngton-post.html

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#2 Jables

Jables
  • 100 posts
  • LocationCentral Saanich

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

I would suggest that this be merged into the pinned U.S. politics thread; between that thread and the Comey thread there's already a couple of threads going about the same topic.

Either way, thanks for posting.  This is huge news, even if it's confirming what most of us suspected.

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

Interesting news regarding Don Jr.'s confirmed attempts to get dirt on Clinton from Russian government contacts, despite dad's promises that Russian collusion is a hoax.

Mueller I'm sure is very interested. It's tempting to compare the Trump family with The Godfather's Corleone family but it seems the Trumps are all Fredos.

Edited by Rob Randall, 11 July 2017 - 11:28 AM.

• Bingo and johnk like this

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,918 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

It's tempting to compare the Trump family with The Godfather's Corleone family but it seems the Trumps are all Fredos.

If I were them I would be very concerned about any offer to go fishing on the lake in a small boat.

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#5 spanky123

spanky123
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:05 PM

Interesting news regarding Don Jr.'s confirmed attempts to get dirt on Clinton from Russian government contacts, despite dad's promises that Russian collusion is a hoax.

Mueller I'm sure is very interested. It's tempting to compare the Trump family with The Godfather's Corleone family but it seems the Trumps are all Fredos.

Nonsense. Every day countless people reach out to politicians with dirt on their opponents and I would estimate that 99.99999% of the time they get an audience. I seem to recall last fall that the Dems received information from Russian sources with dirt on Trump and alleged prostitutes. Does that mean that the Dems were also colluding with the Russians?

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

If we learned anything from Nixon it's that you don't do the dirty work yourself. For God's sake you get underlings to do it. It's called plausible deniability.

The problem comes is, you want the people far enough away from the boss that he can deny it, but the farther away they are the more likely they are low-level nincompoops that easily screw up. Also runs the risk that too many people know about it and it leaks. 

Now Don Jr,--who is in a race with brother Eric to see which is the most Fredo of the family--made a really moronic mistake in bringing in Manafort and Kushner into the meeting. Now everyone's implicated, including dad because the source offered to send the info to Trump's private secretary and gatekeeper. 

Amateur Hour. 

• shoeflack and nerka like this

#7 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 910 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

Nonsense. Every day countless people reach out to politicians with dirt on their opponents and I would estimate that 99.99999% of the time they get an audience. I seem to recall last fall that the Dems received information from Russian sources with dirt on Trump and alleged prostitutes. Does that mean that the Dems were also colluding with the Russians?

I think one of the key difference is that the Administration has been touting the "we don't know who the Russians support" or "we didn't get any information from the Russians" lines since day 1.

Now not only do you have emails to state that DJ was aware that the Russian government wanted to support the Trump campagin, but that DJ was "lovin it".

Just furthers the whole, holy baloney this Administration can't keep one lie going without screwing themselves on another.

#8 spanky123

spanky123
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

^ Some lawyer who had done work for the son of a VP of a company that was in Russia is hardly ties to the Kremlin. 

#9 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

^ Some lawyer who had done work for the son of a VP of a company that was in Russia is hardly ties to the Kremlin. 

I think the point is Donald Jr. still jumped at the change weather it was legit or not and that is where the problem lies.

#10 Greg

Greg
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

You mean like when Gore was approached with the Bush debate briefing book and handed it over to the FBI?

• Rob Randall likes this

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

You mean like when Gore was approached with the Bush debate briefing book and handed it over to the FBI?

Or when President Grover Cleveland was offered scandalous dirt on his opponent: The president paid for it and promptly burned it, unread. He did it for moral reasons, the Gore campaign did it for security reasons. 

Daddy Trump must have been in on it:

• June 3, Don Jr. got the text message regarding the dirt on Hillary; meeting starts to be scheduled
  • June 7, Donald Sr. gave a public speech promising to dish the dirt on Clinton sometime around June 13
  • June 9, meeting at Trump Tower with Russian lawyer, Manafort, Don Jr., Kushner

Edited by Rob Randall, 11 July 2017 - 02:36 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#12 johnk

johnk
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

If the Gropenfuhrer wasn't their daddy the Trumpf spawn would have difficulty getting jobs at a car wash. All of them in way over their heads and their toes are nowhere near bottom.
Won't be long before the whole mob turns on each other to try and save their arses.

#13 LJ

LJ
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:15 PM

The Trump faithful just point out that they are not politicians, they did not know how to work secret backroom deals like the Clinton's and that's why we elected them. And will vote for them again.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 837 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

The Trump faithful just point out that they are not politicians, they did not know how to work secret backroom deals like the Clinton's and that's why we elected them. And will vote for them again.

I know when I want to get something done, I always hire the people least qualified to do it.  It's the only way to be sure you're getting the honest effort.  I mean, why would you trust someone who went to plumber school to do your plumbing - they're just in it to get rich.

• Nparker and nerka like this

#15 johnk

johnk
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:10 AM

Look deeper. I recommend Talking Points Memo for background.

#16 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

Makes you wonder if the whole thing was a Kremlin fishing expedition to test the Trump family's ability to be attracted by shiny objects and be compromised. 

Moscow spies must be laughing at how easily they were able to dangle a Russian lawyer in front of them and the whole Trump campaign leadership came sprintng with their tongues hanging out like the Beacon Hill Park goats.

Edited by Rob Randall, 12 July 2017 - 11:32 AM.

#17 Greg

Greg
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

You do know that suspicions about the Agalarovs being the Putin -> Trump conduit go all the way back to the retired MI6 agent report last June, right?

#18 spanky123

spanky123
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

Look deeper. I recommend Talking Points Memo for background.

Right and the so called proof is that the only people in Russia who would have dirt on Clinton would be living in the Kremlin and thus anyone claiming to have such dirt must be working with them.

#19 spanky123

spanky123
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

You do know that suspicions about the Agalarovs being the Putin -> Trump conduit go all the way back to the retired MI6 agent report last June, right?

That was entirely discredited.

#20 Greg

Greg
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:10 PM

That was entirely discredited.

That's an overstatement. Largely unverified so far would be more accurate, but some items were corroborated in February. And some more last weekend by Donald Jr., which is my point.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users