PROPOSED
Victoria Press Building
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 2621 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
The Victoria Press Building is a redevelopment of the Times Colonist Building along the 2600-block of Douglas ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Victoria Press Building on Citified.ca
Photo

Victoria Press Building | Rentals; commercial | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,194 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:19 AM

...I don't even think this thing will come to fruition...

You may be right. The quality of even these initial renderings is terribly amateurish.

With the right backers, a redevelopment of this site could be spectacular.

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,322 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

Not sure what this will translate to, but Victoria Buzz reported yesterday that the residential component will add "150-thousand square feet purpose-built rentals." http://victoriabuzz.com/2017/09/merchant-house-capital-reveal-plans-historic-times-colonist-building-revealed/

Yeah, we've got that info via the developer's press release but there's no concrete data beyond the generalized numbers they released.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:28 AM

“Those newspapers merged in 1980, creating empty space,” said Obee. “Over the years since then, technological change has revolutionized the way newspapers are produced, so our staff is much smaller than it was in 1980.

“The Times Colonist will remain in this building as a long-term tenant,” said Obee. “We are looking forward to many more years at 2621 Douglas.”

There will be an extensive renovation. Fullbrook said the plan is to have a glass atrium that will bisect the existing structure. There will be street-level retail and 120,000 square feet of office space.

Merchant intends to establish a roof-top space with a restaurant or café, while the existing print building — an extension that was added to the main building a quarter-century ago — could, over the longer term, become commercial or entertainment space.

Again, I have no confidence that this developer can pull it off.  But see above, they even admit the press will be gone at some point.

http://www.timescolo...ment-1.22489332

TC managers should make enquiries of the commercial operators at the Dominion Rocket and see how great a landlord this developer is.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 September 2017 - 06:36 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:55 AM

Per that same article it appears that the residential component is quite a ways off...

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:34 AM

Obee says there are no current plans to contract out jobs in the company's press room. Instead, the newspaper is looking at moving its printing press operations elsewhere.

The unions representing workers in the building say they haven't been told of any changes.

In a statement today, the Joint Council of Unions told CHEK News, "We, as the Joint Council of Unions, have no information on the future of this building."

https://www.cheknews...st-says-363444/

Ya, that sounds like a well-functioning workplace, the unions/staff have been told nothing.  I think the long-term plan for the TC does not include union staff, if they can help it.  Contract ends January 2019.  Now, seeing as how Glacier has no other printing press on the Island, it's hard to see how they plan this.

To me this is leading to a Black/Glacier flip like they have done in other markets.  They simply shut down one of the two operations.

August 2015:

http://willcocks.blo...d-news-for.html

It’s a bad sign when even newspaper companies no longer like the business.

Glacier Media’s latest quarterly report, released last week, suggested the corporation has pretty much given up on a long-term future for its 30 newspapers across B.C.

Vancouver-based Glacier had been seen as a newspaper company (to the detriment of its share price). But it also has information services aimed at more specialized markets - real estate, agriculture, energy and mining, for example.

And that, management says, is where the corporation’s future lies. Newspapers are in decline. The company’s plan is to extract cash during their remaining time and invest it in businesses with growth prospects.

Glacier puts it fairly bluntly: “The Company’s objective is to grow its business information assets and the portion of cash flow generated by these operations, which have higher growth profiles and valuations, and harvest the cash flow from community media assets and reduce the related financial and operating exposure.”

Conventional wisdom has been that small community newspapers - the core of Glacier’s holdings - have a brighter future than urban dailies.

But the corporation no longer shares that optimism.
Newspapers do “generate significant cash flow and provide scale for the Company,” the quarterly report says. “Efforts will be made to restructure community media assets to create greater direct value and simplicity for Glacier, or monetize where appropriate value can be realized.” (Restructure usually means cuts. Monetize means sell, which raises some other interesting questions. )

It’s hard to argue with management’s conclusions.
Glacier’s newspaper revenue fell 9.8 per cent in the last quarter, continuing a long skid. And that is after the corporation swapped papers with Black Press in December to eliminate competition in parts of the Lower Mainland and on Vancouver Island and, theoretically, increase profitability.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 10 September 2017 - 11:47 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:52 AM

Less than 2 years ago, the usual pattern, buy them then close them:

Glacier Media Inc. is shutting three more community newspapers in British Columbia as the company continues to cut costs to offset declining revenue.

Staff at the Burnaby News Leader, New Westminster News Leader and Tri-Cities Now learned Thursday morning that their papers will be shuttered after publishing their Oct. 1 editions.

Glacier bought the two News Leader papers from the province's other major publisher, Black Press, in a deal last December that swapped titles and doubled Glacier's presence several cities. Although the company's chief executive officer, Jonathon Kennedy, suggested at the time that it planned to keep the titles open, Glacier has since slashed its community news portfolio, also shutting the Richmond Review last July after 83 years in print.

"That was the hope and time has passed since then, and we feel it's a better model going forward with a single title," said Alvin Brouwer, president of Glacier's Lower Mainland Publishing group.

The closings are perhaps not surprising given that Glacier had come to own two community papers in each of the Tri-Cities, Burnaby and Richmond, and had already cut some of their publication schedules from two weekly editions to one.

https://beta.theglob...obeandmail.com

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 10 September 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

Daily papers eliminated or downgraded

• Prince Rupert Daily News
  • Nelson Daily News

Black Press purchased both newspapers from Glacier Media in 2010 – but then quickly shut them down, opting to continue publishing the competing weekly paper they already owned in both cities.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

• Abbotsford News Daily
  • Courtenay Comox Valley Record Daily
  • Kamloops This Week
  • Kelowna Capital News
  • Parksville Qualicum News Daily
  • Terrace-Kitimat-Prince Rupert Northern Daily
  • Penticton Western News Daily
  • Maple Ridge Tri-City News Daily
  • Surrey Leader Daily

While no paid daily newspapers shut down in 2011, many free papers owned by Black Press either merged (the Maple Ridge and Langley papers became the “Golden Ears Daily”) or decided to publish less regularly (including Kelowna Capital News and Kamloops This Week, which now publishes three times a week).

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

• Kamloops Daily News
  • Dawson Creek Daily News
  • Peace Arch News Daily
  • Vernon Morning Star Daily

Glacier Media announced the closure of the Kamloops Daily News and the consolidation of the Dawson Creek Daily News into the Alaska Highway News early in 2014. Black Press also turned the Peace Arch and Vernon newspapers into twice-a-week operations.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

• Alberni Valley Times

Black Press purchased every newspaper Glacier Media owned on Vancouver Island (with the exception of the Times Colonist) in December 2014, and they shut down the Alberni Valley Times (and two other Island papers) the next year.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

• Nanaimo Daily News
  • The Alaska Highway News

One of the papers Black Press purchased was the Nanaimo Daily News, which was shut down in January. In March, the Glacier-owned Alaska Highway News, which covers the Peace River region in northeast in B.C., announced they were “returning to its roots” as a weekly newspaper at the end of the month.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

Other smaller B.C. newspapers that have completely closed since 2010

Quesnel Advisor (2010)
100 Mile House Advisor (2010)
Abbotsford Times (2013)
South Delta Leader (2014)
North Shore Outlook (2014)
Burnaby News Leader (2015)
New Westminster News Leader (2015)
Tri-Cities Now (2015)
Richmond Review (2015)
Oceanside Star (2015)
Campbell River Courier-Islander (2015)
Harbour City Star (2015)
Cowichan News Leader (2015)
Chetwynd Echo (2016)
Northeast News (2016)

In all of these cases (with the exception of the Chetwynd Echo), the closures have come shortly after Glacier Media or Black Press purchased the rival newspaper in the community from the other company.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 10 September 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

And finally...

http://globalnews.ca...wn-this-decade/

Daily papers remaining

The Province
The Vancouver Sun (the two papers, both owned by Postmedia, will be merging their newsrooms)

24 Hours

Metro

Times Colonist

The Kelowna Courier

Penticton Herald

Prince George Citizen

The Trail Times

Cranbrook Daily Townsman

The Daily Bulletin (a paper in Kimberley, which is published in conjunction with the Cranbrook Daily Townsman

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 10 September 2017 - 11:58 AM.

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,322 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

Were we aware that the Province and Van Sun have removed their logos from the Harbour tower overlooking Coal Harbour? They were fixtures of that building for time immemorial.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

Were we aware that the Province and Van Sun have removed their logos from the Harbour tower overlooking Coal Harbour? They were fixtures of that building for time immemorial.

Ya, it was only leased space.  They moved to East Van.

• Mike K. likes this

#36 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 447 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

It's been that way for some time. Was in Van in May and went up the lookout. Could easily see that the logos were not present on that building.

Interestingly I found out that Vancouver Harbour Control is located atop that same building, it was quite visible from the lookout.

Edited by grantpalin, 11 September 2017 - 09:17 AM.

#37 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:53 PM

The developer is marketing approximately 40,000 square feet of office space here (large banners have been hung on the outside of the structure). They are calling it the “Victoria Press Building.”

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

The developer is marketing approximately 40,000 square feet of office space here (large banners have been hung on the outside of the structure). They are calling it the “Victoria Press Building.”

24899220_10155040041125887_2047927695_n (1).jpg

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

The real estate team leasing up the new project approached Victoria Buzz to see if they might be interested in moving across the street, and into the new building.  That would be awkward if the TC was/is still there.

#40 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

^Really? When the Colonist and Times were in the same building some called it the golden age of good-natured media rivalry.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.