BUILT
Victoria Press Building
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 2621 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
The Victoria Press Building is a redevelopment of the Times Colonist Building along the 2600-block of Douglas ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Victoria Press Building on Citified.ca
Photo

Victoria Press Building | Rentals; commercial | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

So sawassen? Or Ts-wassen?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

The first one.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

Oh. So isn’t that how everyone pronounces it? I don’t think I’ve heard it pronounced any other way.
  • tedward likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:46 PM

Some people say t-wassen.

#45 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:12 PM

Oh people that live there call it Tah-wassen I was just trying to help VHF with his spelling.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#46 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:37 AM

Apparently it is supposed to be Tah WASS en.  I've kind of always done it more Sah WASS en, but with a hint of that starting T still. Any Tsawwassen nation folks around who can chime in?

http://www.timescolo...lace-1.2179942 

#47 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:08 AM

I've always heard and said tsah-WAH-ssen.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#48 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:22 AM

I've been told by Tsawwassen people that it's Tah-wass-en and that us Vancouver Island people say it wrong (sah-wah-sen). 

#49 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:38 AM

I've been told by Tsawwassen people that it's Tah-wass-en and that us Vancouver Island people say it wrong (sah-wah-sen).

they don't say it wrong, they say it in a different language. the saanich word for it sounds to me more like ss-CHOO-athen. click here for what our locals call it. they're both salish languages so they might sound similar, but not the same. it's like comparing french & spanish.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 11 January 2018 - 09:39 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

OK I held off as long as I could...

off-topic.jpg

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

I predict that the end - as we know it - is near for the TC.  The workers will likely be locked out by this time next year.  Then the paper will either fold or emerge from the labour strife with a very different looking workplace.

Or Glacier and Black Press will do some type of swap that works for them both, as they have done in many communities already.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 January 2018 - 09:54 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#52 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:56 AM

There's a thread we can dump these posts in:

https://vibrantvicto...-in-our-region/

#53 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

I predict that the end - as we know it - is near for the TC.  The workers will likely be locked out by this time next year.  Then the paper will either fold or emerge from the labour strife with a very different looking workplace.

Or Glacier and Black Press will do some type of swap that works for them both, as they have done in many communities already.

As it is now you get the online version free if you subscribe to the paper version. If that ends then they would have to charge for the online version. I'm not sure that would survive.

#54 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:16 AM

It Might be too little too late but they need to lower their prices. If a paper subscription was like $5 a month i might do it for the novelty.

#55 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

Well I like to read a real paper in the morning with my coffee on the patio, tablets get too washed out in the sunlight for me. I don't think I will renew my subscription to the TC tho, missing too many times and lack of any in depth reporting on anything local is scant.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

Well I like to read a real paper in the morning with my coffee on the patio, tablets get too washed out in the sunlight for me. I don't think I will renew my subscription to the TC tho, missing too many times and lack of any in depth reporting on anything local is scant.

And it’s $30/mo. I pay zero and read daily.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#57 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

Mods: the official name of this project is "Victoria Press Building."

A website is up and running now at https://victoriapressbuilding.com/ .

One of the renderings from the new site: 

vpb.jpg

Rooftop Restaurant and Green Space:

vpb2.jpg

The site indicates that rezoning is underway for residential apartments but I haven't seen anything yet on Dev Tracker:  "Currently, under zoning application, a modern tower of urban living spaces connects to the roof-top garden to create a community-driven, work-live-play urban ecosystem. Throughout the site, culinary destinations, cafés and craft brewers will serve up fresh new concepts in a neighbourhood thirsty for change"

• Nparker likes this

#58 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

I really like the design, although the Douglas street frontage is still a rather boring looking wall. My favourite part of the website is the way they describe the nearby Rock Bay area: "For a taste of contemporary urban life complete with coffee shops, breweries and boutique eateries, walk 7 minutes or bike for 3 to the happening Rock Bay area." That's one way to describe it...

#59 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

the kings rd frontage looks a bit familiar

UBC_Pharmacy_Saucier___Perrrotte_4548785

https://www.archdail...te-architectes/

#60 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:23 AM

the kings rd frontage looks a bit familiar...

If somewhat less dramatic.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users