BUILT
Victoria Press Building
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 2621 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
The Victoria Press Building is a redevelopment of the Times Colonist Building along the 2600-block of Douglas ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Victoria Press Building on Citified.ca
Photo

Victoria Press Building | Rentals; commercial

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#161 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 06:43 AM

Robbins has available parking at 2300 Douglas at $140/mo.

#162 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 02:54 PM

Robbins has available parking at 2300 Douglas at $140/mo.

That will go up... Then at some point it will be developed..

#163 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 04:18 PM

Of all the places to build a no parking building, this is one of the better locations. Less than 200ft from tons of major bus lines running all over the city, located near some quiet side streets in a disused part of town, and a few new major protected bike lanes opening nearby (Gorge Rd will be under construction soon).

I understand there’s parking panic from people who are heavily car dependent because they can’t imagine that there are actually people out there who don’t own a car, but I can confirm we do exist and there are more and more of us as the cost of car ownership cuts into the cost of living. However, if they incorporate a carshare into this project I think that would be ideal.
  • aastra, grantpalin, GaryOak and 2 others like this

#164 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 04:22 PM

Of all the places to build a no parking building, this is one of the better locations. Less than 200ft from tons of major bus lines running all over the city, located near some quiet side streets in a disused part of town, and a few new major protected bike lanes opening nearby (Gorge Rd will be under construction soon).

I understand there’s parking panic from people who are heavily car dependent because they can’t imagine that there are actually people out there who don’t own a car, but I can confirm we do exist and there are more and more of us as the cost of car ownership cuts into the cost of living. However, if they incorporate a carshare into this project I think that would be ideal.

It's just not very close to things is it?  Even people who live right downtown with amenities, transit all over, many/more car share opportunities and in buildings with no parking, many still have cars and are trying to figure it out.  Sadly folks with cars still try to rent places that are more affordable and cringe at spending $100-$200/mo to store their vehicle.

Edited by Ismo07, 07 March 2023 - 04:24 PM.

#165 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 08:18 PM

It's just not very close to things is it?  Even people who live right downtown with amenities, transit all over, many/more car share opportunities and in buildings with no parking, many still have cars and are trying to figure it out.  Sadly folks with cars still try to rent places that are more affordable and cringe at spending $100-$200/mo to store their vehicle.

The OCP for the Burnside Gorge neighbourhood is for that area to become a mixed use area, so I believe that while it may be a bit far from amenities now, it’s going to change a lot over the next decade or two. This is just one of a number of medium density projects going up along the Douglas corridor. Anyways, it’s right on the new rapidbus route, so it’ll be easy to get to Uptown/Mayfair and Downtown within less than 10 minutes.
  • GaryOak likes this

#166 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 08:19 PM

I believe the vision of our city council is to strve to be more like North Korea, so why should the average person need a car. Lots of bicycles should be just fine. Or just walk. 

#167 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 08:23 PM

I think it’ll take a little while longer to create that destination-style neighbourhood.

Victoria is a small city still, we just don’t grow fast enough for major change over the span of a decade. This building won’t reach occupancy until ~2027, provided the approval process doesn’t drag on too long.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#168 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 12:50 AM

I think it’ll take a little while longer to create that destination-style neighbourhood.

Victoria is a small city still, we just don’t grow fast enough for major change over the span of a decade. This building won’t reach occupancy until ~2027, provided the approval process doesn’t drag on too long.

We will have self-driving pods at some point.   Then car ownership will diminish more.  

Would be helpful if Uber could show up too.

#169 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 12:51 PM

I believe the vision of our city council is to strve to be more like North Korea, so why should the average person need a car. Lots of bicycles should be just fine. Or just walk. 

Why not like Amsterdam instead of N. Korea? 

• GaryOak likes this

#170 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 01:00 PM

Why not a bit of both?

#171 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 01:00 PM

North Amsterdam perhaps?
  • Mike K. likes this

#172 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 08:09 PM

screenshot-listingsprod.blob.core.windows.net-2023.07.31-00_08_12.png

screenshot-listingsprod.blob.core.windows.net-2023.07.31-00_07_13.png

screenshot-listingsprod.blob.core.windows.net-2023.07.31-00_07_37.png

https://www.colliers...nada/can2005388

#173 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 08:14 PM

Did I read at some point that Codan Communications from James Bay was moving into that building? I see a notice on the Codan building about who the contractor will be for whatever will be happening there on Erie Street. Anyone know more?

Codan is there now.  2nd floor.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 July 2023 - 08:28 PM.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#174 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 08:20 PM

Tenants announced:

We are especially excited that Vancouver based Coho Commissary will be establishing a 20,000 square foot commercial kitchen in the building. Coho rents out kitchen space to food industry businesses that are getting started or expanding while also offering expertise and guidance.

Joining Coho Commissary in the Victoria Press Building will be Zetron, a critical communication technology company based in the United States and Australia. Zetron will be occupying approximately 40,000 sf of leased space on the second level.

Aurinia Pharmaceuticals Inc. has also entered into a lease and will occupy the third floor, including the new mezzanine space established in the Print Reel Room. These remarkable tenants will bring extraordinary life to the building and to Midtown, while enriching the economic ecosystem of Victoria as it evolves to meet the challenges of the 21st Century.

Zetron is in suite 200.

I don't think the Commissary ever arrived.

Aurinia has not arrived.  Maybe still coming.  A lease was signed 3 year ago:  https://contracts.ju...ontract/157391/

It's not clear what section they intend/intended to occupy.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 July 2023 - 08:26 PM.

#175 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 09:02 PM

If they do secure Aurinia as a tenant and can maintain the lease with Zetron (BTW these names sound like bad sci-fi monikers from the 1960s) will Merchant House claim they have lessees from "A-Z"?

#176 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 09:36 PM

It's pretty lonely looking on 1st and 3rd floors.

#177 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 05:40 AM

It is too bad because this is such a cool space. I wonder whether the city has made any modifications to the bylaws for this building to allow a greater amount of use. Our current office and light industrial zonings are quite limited in what they allow. 

• aastra likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#178 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 05:41 AM

Has anyone been inside to see if the common areas match the renderings?  Can the public walk in?

#179 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 05:55 PM

^Further to Victoria Watcher's post from last July, doesn't it seem like this place would be a cool spot for an art school or some such thing? I was wondering if it might even work for the Y. How much empty space is there?

#180 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 12:57 PM

Looks like you can buy the whole building:

https://www.cbre.ca/...olumbia-v8t-4m2

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users