Photo

The Brexit vote and Victoria

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:17 PM

if all the conservatives would have voted yes today it would have passed by one vote.

#42 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:22 AM

BREAKING: UK Parliament rejects call for second referendum

UK lawmakers rejected a move to support a second referendum on Brexit. It’s a blow to campaigners for a so-called People’s Vote

The cross-party proposal was the first time the House of Commons has held a formal vote on whether to endorse another referendum.

https://edition.cnn....-gbr/index.html

#43 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:41 AM

Theresa May has won a vote to ask the EU for Brexit to be delayed beyond March 29.

The PM's motion said if MPs approve her withdrawal agreement by March 20, she will seek a one-off extension until June 30 to allow time for the necessary legislation to be passed.

Mrs May granted the vote, which won by 412 votes to 202, after Parliament twice rejected her proposed EU divorce deal.

#44 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:27 PM

Yeah because they haven’t come to an agreeement in the last couple years but I’m sure another three months will do the trick
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#45 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:08 PM

Hundreds of thousands of people opposed to Britain's withdrawal from the European Union marched through central London on Saturday to demand a new referendum as the deepening Brexit crisis risked sinking Prime Minister Theresa May's premiership.

Marchers set off in central London with banners proclaiming "the best deal is no Brexit" and "we demand a People's Vote" in what organisers said could be the biggest anti-Brexit protest yet.

https://www.tribunei...dum/747579.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 March 2019 - 06:08 PM.

#46 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:57 PM

I don't know what the hell's going on so I'm heading over to see. Stand by.
  • Mike K. and jasmineshinga like this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#47 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:07 PM

I think they need to have a runoff type vote. right now there are too many options to get to a majority on one. they need to eliminate the least desirable ones and get down to a vote on just two. but that requires the different factions to agree to that type of a winnowing. that still seems far off.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 March 2019 - 06:08 PM.

#48 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:34 AM

After extensive research...

20190403_173606.jpg

...I haven't a clue what's going on.
  • Mike K., Matt R., lanforod and 1 other like this

#49 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 04:09 PM

EU leaders offer the U.K. a Brexit delay until Oct. 31

British Prime Minister Theresa May has not yet agreed to this later date

https://www.cbc.ca/n...delay-1.5091713

#50 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:39 AM

Nigel Farage ‘trapped on Brexit bus due to people armed with milkshakes’

Earlier this week Farage had a £5.25 milkshake lobbed at him in front of a crowd of bystanders.

After the shake was chucked, furious Mr Farage could be heard moaning of his bodyguards' "complete failure" as they whisked him away.

He added: "You could have spotted that a mile away" and "How could this happen?".

The leader told reporters the Five Guys banana and salted caramel shake was "yobbo flavoured" - and he reportedly gave a statement to Northumbria Police.

• tedward likes this

#51 RFS

RFS
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

^funny stuff but won't change the fact there is going to be a Brexit party landslide

#52 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

^funny stuff but won't change the fact there is going to be a Brexit party landslide

An informal poll of the people I know in England say their Brexit Party literature is going straight into the bin. But I appear to exist in a social bubble.

brex.jpg

#53 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:10 AM

I'm a left leaning fellow but the left has to start realising that the present leadership across the board is acting way too fascist and as a result they are losing support. Of course they don't know this because all their friends are afraid to talk to them about it since they don't want a milkshake in their face or want to be called evil. Voting is somewhat private so they can make their choice there with anonymity.  I find it interesting that the online definitions of Fascism puts it to "the right".  "Fascism is a form of radical, right-wing, authoritarian ultranationalism, characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and of the economy." I am seeing these actions all being performed by the "left"....

Full disclosure: I eat organic food, am an environmentalist, support non-binary human rights, am for peace over war, I am for safe injection sites and harm reduction, but I am also a capitalist and a Libertarian. So basically no political party supports my views.... 

Edited by dasmo, 22 May 2019 - 12:21 PM.

• jonny likes this

#54 RFS

RFS
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:29 AM

An informal poll of the people I know in England say their Brexit Party literature is going straight into the bin. But I appear to exist in a social bubble.

Attached Images

• _107060194_optimised-uk_poll_tracker_2019-05-22-nc.png

Edited by RFS, 22 May 2019 - 10:34 AM.

#55 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:42 AM

Wow, that's crazy. I had no idea.

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,822 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:42 PM

I'm a left leaning fellow but the left has to start realising that the present leadership across the board is acting way too fascist and as a result they are losing support. Of course they don't know this because all their friends are afraid to talk to them about it since they don't want a milkshake in their face or want to be called evil. Voting is somewhat private so they can make their choice there with anonymity. I find it interesting that the online definitions of Fascism puts it to "the right". "Fascism is a form of radical, right-wing, authoritarian ultranationalism, characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and of the economy." I am seeing these actions all being performed by the "left"....

Indeed you are. We all are.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#57 todd

todd
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:57 PM

But I appear to exist in a social bubble.

The world is a bubble

#58 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:35 PM

It's probably safe to bet against whatever the poll trackers and predictions are saying, going by how pretty much all other recent elections have gone!

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,822 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:04 AM

A nationwide picture is emerging of EU citizens in the UK being denied their democratic right to vote in the European parliament elections because of administrative errors by local councils.

Reports are coming in from across the country of EU nationals turning up at polling booths and finding their names crossed out and being told by officials they are not eligible to vote.

Dozens have contacted the Guardian to say that the forms they had to sign to declare they were choosing to vote in this country had either turned up too late or not turned up at all.

Several have been told they should vote in their own country. One was advised to go to her embassy, something which pro-EU campaigner Gina Miller said demonstrates how the “hostile environment” has now infected elections.

German nationals Kat Sellner and Moritz Valero said they were “shocked” to find they could not vote despite returning the forms on 2 May.

- https://www.theguard...hs-admin-errors

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#60 RFS

RFS
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:12 AM

With regard to the milkshakes, in 2002 Pim Fortuyn Was a Dutch right wing populist who had pies filled with urine thrown at his face. A month later he was shot dead by an activist. So it's possible that milkshake incidents without repercussions or retaliation are dangerous.

https://www.theguard...d/2002/may/06/3

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users