The Brexit vote and Victoria

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,882 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:14 AM

Burger King issued a Tweet reminding people they sold milkshakes. I believe they have since apologized for the stupidity.

An elderly veteran was assaulted today when a milkshake was thrown at him. His photo has gone viral.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 RFS

RFS
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:17 AM

With regard to the milkshakes, in 2002 Pim Fortuyn Was a Dutch right wing populist who had pies filled with urine thrown at his face. A month later he was shot dead by an activist. So it's possible that milkshake incidents without repercussions or retaliation are dangerous.
https://www.theguard...d/2002/may/06/3

Case in point

Attached Images

• Screenshot_20190523_081639_com.android.chrome.png

Edited by RFS, 23 May 2019 - 07:19 AM.

#63 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:46 AM

may is quitting

#64 todd

todd

[gone fishing]

• 6,503 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:41 AM

Her political bubble has ruptured.

https://youtu.be/2TAX0bgWIps

Edited by todd, 24 May 2019 - 10:58 AM.

#65 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,043 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:37 PM

Don Murray is one of the best and most experienced foreign correspondent/writers around bar none: quite the scathing indictment of May here -

https://www.cbc.ca/n...tears-1.5148515

• todd likes this

#66 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 547 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:23 PM

I feel for May. She came into her role, inherited this mess, and tried to make it work. Instead she got pushback from within her own government and even her own party. Brutal.

Can't expect that the next PM will find the job any easier. The EU has already said they will not negotiate the current deal any further. So it's that deal, or a hard exit, or a do-over.

#67 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:24 AM

i don't feel sorry for may.  she tried.  she failed. 

let's see what someone else can do.  if it all fails they just hard-exit.  england will suffer for a bit but it'll work out eventually.

• rjag likes this

#68 rjag

rjag
  • 5,257 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:13 AM

My only fear is that nutjob Corbyn and his crew of crazies figure out a way f getting in.

I lived in the UK in the 70's and witnessed first hand the aftermath of Harold Wilson and Jim Callaghan and those were choirboys compared to the Corbynista radicals. Its like 200+ of Ben Isitts with real chips on their shoulders.

The Tories really fvcked this up from Cameron to May and BoJo meddling. The economy was on a roll, lots of jobs and people were generally healthy and employed. The big tell was the number of Eu workers in the UK....however over there the local councils have way more power and they were sucking the life out of the tax system with their welfare state ideology so eventually the boat was going to sink....maybe this chaos is a good thing as it will be a wake up call...lets just hope that saner minds prevail and not the crazies

#69 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:47 AM

I think most folks in GB and around the world have now long realized that there has to be a do-over.

What the political elite in GB can't quite picture yet is how they get there without destroying many hundreds (if not thousands) of political careers.

• rjag likes this

#70 RFS

RFS
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:29 PM

Nationalist and populists winning all across Europe today including Italy, Hungary and France where Le Pens party has beat Macrons. It appears the grand coalition of centre right and centre left parties will lose their majority in the EU parliament. In the UK the Tories and labour are way down and Brexit Party appears to be set for first place, we'll see by how much.

#71 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:54 AM

With results announced early Monday for all of England and Wales, the Brexit Party had won 28 of the 73 British EU seats up for grabs and almost a third of the votes. The Liberal Democrats took about 20 per cent of the vote and 15 seats – up from only one at the last EU election in 2014.

Labour came third with 10 seats, followed by the Greens with seven. The ruling Conservatives were in fifth place with just three EU seats and under 10 per cent of the vote.

https://globalnews.c...ults-uk-brexit/

carl benjamin and tommy robinson lost.

https://www.buzzfeed...nalities-europe

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 May 2019 - 03:55 AM.

#72 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:20 PM

I was Boris Johnson’s boss: he is utterly unfit to be prime minister

Six years ago, the Cambridge historian Christopher Clark published a study of the outbreak of the first world war, titled The Sleepwalkers. Though Clark is a fine scholar, I was unconvinced by his title, which suggested that the great powers stumbled mindlessly to disaster. On the contrary, the maddest aspect of 1914 was that each belligerent government convinced itself that it was acting rationally.

It would be fanciful to liken the ascent of Boris Johnson to the outbreak of global war, but similar forces are in play. There is room for debate about whether he is a scoundrel or mere rogue, but not much about his moral bankruptcy, rooted in a contempt for truth. Nonetheless, even before the Conservative national membership cheers him in as our prime minister – denied the option of Nigel Farage, whom some polls suggest they would prefer – Tory MPs have thronged to do just that.

I have known Johnson since the 1980s, when I edited the Daily Telegraph and he was our flamboyant Brussels correspondent. I have argued for a decade that, while he is a brilliant entertainer who made a popular maître d’ for London as its mayor, he is unfit for national office, because it seems he cares for no interest save his own fame and gratification.

https://www.theguard...y-party-britain

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 June 2019 - 02:20 PM.

#73 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:18 AM

Britain's next prime minister will be Boris Johnson after the hard-Brexit advocate won a ballot of around 160,000 Conservative Party members to replace Theresa May.
Johnson, who has served as foreign secretary and London mayor, was the strong favourite to win on Tuesday over rival Jeremy Hunt, the current foreign secretary.
May announced her resignation last month and Johnson will officially become prime minister on Wednesday, inheriting the difficult mission of extracting Britain from the EU.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 July 2019 - 03:21 AM.

#74 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:56 AM

He has already caused a stir by saying that the U.K. must leave the EU by the October 31 deadline “do or die, come what may” even if that meant leaving without a deal in place.

A “no-deal” Brexit is seen by many inside and outside of parliament as a “cliff-edge” scenario to be avoided at all costs. Leaving without a deal in place would mean an abrupt departure from the EU with no transition period allowing businesses to adjust to life outside the bloc.

There have been widespread fears that Johnson could try to bypass (or prorogue) Parliament in order to push through Brexit without opposition lawmakers having their say. Johnson will have to see how the government’s wafer-thin majority — only provided by a staunchly pro-Brexit party in Northern Ireland — lasts under his leadership. Northern Ireland, and its future relationship with the EU and position in the U.K., is one of the biggest stumbling blocks to a deal being approved.

On top of that, Johnson will have to deal with a rebellious and divided Parliament and a chasm in public opinion between the 52% who voted for Brexit, and the 48% that didn’t (and all those in between that have since changed sides).

John Penrose, MP for Weston-super-Mare and minister of state to Northern Ireland, told CNBC’s “Squawk Box Europe” Tuesday that the new prime minister would “have to help the party heal and lead the country to heal.”

“Those wounds from three years ago — those are still there. We can’t carry on like this, it’s been three years we’ve got to get through it,” he said.

https://www.cnbc.com...-new-uk-pm.html

#75 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,882 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:25 AM

I love how they refer to the EU as the bloc. We’ve already had a bloc on that continent, and it was nothing nice.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#76 rjag

rjag
  • 5,257 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:02 AM

It will be fascinating to watch him debate that old marxist bastard Corbyn...but seriously, this is the country that has known Churchill and Thatcher, Lloyd George, MacMillan and Disraeli...somehow I doubt either of the current crop will have the same distinction 

Edited by rjag, 23 July 2019 - 07:06 AM.

#77 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:31 AM

I toured Disraeli's amazing manor earlier this year. It's unfortunate the new PM and the Opposition Leader and both so dismal and uninspiring in comparison.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#78 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,250 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:04 PM

Boris must have the same wigmaker as the Donald.

#79 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:10 PM

well may could not get a deal let's see if boris can.  not sure much has changed though.  

#80 todd

todd

[gone fishing]

• 6,503 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

:muching_out:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users