APPROVED
736 Princess Avenue
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 736 Princess Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
736 Princess Avenue is a proposal to build a six-storey, mixed-use complex for the John Howard Society, an org... (view full profile)
Learn more about 736 Princess Avenue on Citified.ca
Photo

[Burnside-Gorge] Hive (formerly Seven-36) | Micro-rentals | 6-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

City staff recommend rejecting this proposal; it is being considered by CoTW this Thursday (Jan 25). Report outlining reasons for rejection: https://victoria.civ...rincess Ave.PDF

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

City staff recommend rejecting this proposal...

I sort of have to agree with this part of staff's recommendation

...If the proposal included adjoining properties then there would be more site area and it would be less likely that an OCP amendment would be required as the density would be spread out over a larger area. There would likely be an opportunity for more commercial space at the street level, which meets the policy direction in the OCP...The subject property is suitable for some additional density in the form of mixed-use development, although, preferably through a land assembly with adjacent properties to enable the best realization of development potential. Alternatively, the applicant could reduce the amount of residential density being proposed and comply with the OCP...

https://victoria.civ...rincess Ave.PDF

So will Council overrule OCP guidelines to create a small pocket of "work force" housing in an otherwise commerical/industrial area?

#63 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:36 PM

I sort of have to agree with this part of staff's recommendation
So will Council overrule OCP guidelines to create a small pocket of "work force" housing in an otherwise commerical/industrial area?

Well Thursday the CoTW will likely vote on whether to send this to a full public hearing, which would take place at a future council meeting. Due to a shortage of rental housing vacancies it is possible that the CoTW will opt to vote in favour of the hearing...

#64 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

I agree this proposal is too small and limits future potential. I would like to see a larger land amalgamation to have a significant impact on the neighbourhood. 

#65 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

I think they're out to lunch yet again. It could be really great if this part of town fills out with smaller-footprint developments.

The subject property is suitable for some additional density in the form of mixed-use development, although, preferably through a land assembly with adjacent properties to enable the best realization of development potential. Alternatively, the applicant could reduce the amount of residential density being proposed and comply with the OCP...

Seriously, just consider the message there. Who cares if a small development is "too dense"? The very reason why I liked this project was because of the small footprint and the relatively narrow frontage. Add a few more projects like that and you'd have a genuinely interesting streetscape. Encouraging developers to swallow up adjacent properties is a recipe for less variety, is my point.

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

City councillors gave it a provisional no.

http://www.timescolo...bate-1.23156731

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#67 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:46 PM

This project is back from  the dead.

The developer is now proposing to build the project with just 28 suites (down from the original proposal of 75 micro-suites) for the John Howard society.  A letter from the developer was sent to the City on March 10 along with revised plans.  The letter outlining all  the  changes can be found here;   https://tender.victo...726154256160000

Revised  rendering:

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 4.38.13 PM.png

#68 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:03 PM

I approve the idea of larger suites. My vision for the heart of Rock Bay is not microsuites for all buildings. Suite size should reflect the industrial nature of Rock Bay with high loft ceilings and relatively larger open floorplans and basic finishing. Leave the luxury and microsuites for Downtown.

The few remaining old buildings set the tone for the neighbourhood. I want it to retain its industrial feel. I want lots of young people, workers, active seniors, artists, craftsmen, prowling the streets. 

I love the small footprint and the overall design and use of materials is good. There will be plenty of opportunity in this neighbourhood for fancier buildings on larger lots in the coming years. I want to see diversity, condos and rentals and commercial. 

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#69 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:17 PM

This goes to CotW on Thursday July 9 ; staff are in favour of the application.

#70 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:11 PM

Unanimous support from council. It's moving to a public hearing.

#71 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:56 AM

I approve the idea of larger suites. My vision for the heart of Rock Bay is not microsuites for all buildings. Suite size should reflect the industrial nature of Rock Bay with high loft ceilings and relatively larger open floorplans and basic finishing. Leave the luxury and microsuites for Downtown.

The few remaining old buildings set the tone for the neighbourhood. I want it to retain its industrial feel. I want lots of young people, workers, active seniors, artists, craftsmen, prowling the streets. 

you want large suites with high ceilings.  and you also want these to somehow be in the "affordable" price range.  you can't have all this.

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:01 AM

We might also have some issues relating to the step code. I just don’t know if high volume open spaces in a residential setting are going to be a thing moving forward as it’s not politically favourable to approve residences that take a lot of energy to heat and cool.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#73 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:51 PM

Unanimous support from council. It's moving to a public hearing.

Approved at the public hearing last night
  • Brantastic and Victoria Watcher like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users