Mayweather vs. McGregor

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:28 PM

I don't actually know anyone personally who cares one iota about this grossly over-hyped "event". I have a very wide circle of friends and acquaintances of whom precisely none as far I am aware could be bothered with this evening's circus - never mind actually paying to watch it. ..

Well it's the largest fight buy in the history of the world. Maybe you and your buddies are getting old.

Get off my lawn!

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 August 2017 - 07:29 PM.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,863 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:39 PM

I know a couple people who went down to Vegas to watch it in the arena. One guy at work has a few bucks on it, other than that nobody else i know seems to care at all.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan and Bingo like this

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

I know a couple people who went down to Vegas to watch it in the arena. One guy at work has a few bucks on it, other than that nobody else i know seems to care at all.

Matt.

Again, nobody will will watch this fight in numbers stronger than world record.
  • Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:18 PM

Well it's the largest fight buy in the history of the world. Maybe you and your buddies are getting old.

Get off my lawn!

And that is significant how and to whom, exactly...? Or perhaps 'me and my buddies' have a bit more maturity and/or taste than you and your buddies down there at ye olde Taphouse? You promote the venue ceaselessly, so much so I've begun to wonder if you're not on their payroll....

"Real" boxing fans, including the ex-Nevada Fighting Commissioner BTW, have stated repeatedly this 'event' should never ever have been sanctioned in the first place. And for a very good reason - one of these guys is a boxer. The other is not.

This isn't about sport, or boxing - to put it plainly its a clown show, a 2-ring circus: in short its a money grab from those gullible enough to fork over the dough to primarily to get an overdose of some unintelligible thug from the back streets of Dublin, and so he can show off his so-called 'machismo'.

Thankfully my sporting hero's, in addition to all world talent, also had something this neanderthal does not, namely class. Not to mention a huge dose of humility - but then being classy or humble wouldn't jive with the "image" they're desperately cultivating here now would it?  Even where they may have god-given athletic talent, I have never been a fan of low brow, trash-talking grade "A" morons whose primary 'attraction' apparently is to flap their mouths. 

Edited by AllseeingEye, 26 August 2017 - 08:19 PM.

• sebberry likes this

#45 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

Well there ya have it. Kind of a boring fight imo. Maybe boxing fans enjoyed it. All things considered I'd say mcgregor did alright. Survived 10 rounds against the best boxer alive in a different sport than his own. Quite an athlete

#46 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:28 AM

Mayweather has pocketed close to a Billion over his career. Not one exciting fight.

#47 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:32 AM

It's over?

• AllseeingEye and Bingo like this

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:30 AM

And that is significant how and to whom, exactly...? Or perhaps 'me and my buddies' have a bit more maturity and/or taste than you and your buddies down there at ye olde Taphouse? You promote the venue ceaselessly, so much so I've begun to wonder if you're not on their payroll.... 

They give me the odd free beer.  And ya, this was the first time they ever did a PPV fight, so some promotion was necessary, that's what I do, and they were the 2nd most expensive place showing it (most expensive place with no reserved seating), but sold out 3rd of the 12 places showing it.  So we did good.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 August 2017 - 06:31 AM.

#49 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:36 AM

They give me the odd free beer.  And ya, this was the first time they ever did a PPV fight, so some promotion was necessary, that's what I do, and they were the 2nd most expensive place showing it (most expensive place with no reserved seating), but sold out 3rd of the 12 places showing it.  So we did good.

meh, it was a preconceived outcome, no reason to waste money on a clown show except for the steroid set that wanted to see someone hurt. This was all about the money and not about real boxing. 

• AllseeingEye likes this

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:52 AM

There were lots of dudes out and about yesterday who suddenly become boxing experts.

Had I bet on the 10 rounds I'd have made 1.5x. D'oh!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:41 AM

I agree it did little to advance boxing or UFC.

#52 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

I looked at the price of the fight on Shaw PPV: $89.  HA! Not a chance.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

I looked at the price of the fight on Shaw PPV: $89.  HA! Not a chance.

For SD.  It was $99 for HD.

#54 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

Mayweather made $100M+ for a sparring match and McGregor made $75M+ and will have a puffy eye and a few scratches. Sounds to me like the really smart guys are the two 'fighters' and their promoters. 

• VicHockeyFan and Love the rock like this

#55 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:36 PM

I agree it did little to advance boxing or UFC.

But it did advance people talking about here that don't a left hook is not found in the fishing tackle box.

#56 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:43 PM

the entire fight is now posted on youtube.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#57 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

Well there ya have it. Kind of a boring fight imo. Maybe boxing fans enjoyed it. All things considered I'd say mcgregor did alright. Survived 10 rounds against the best boxer alive in a different sport than his own. Quite an athlete

Except that he didn't survive 10 rounds. :)

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#58 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:35 PM

What kind of idiot would pay to watch Roger Federer play a match against a ping pong champion? The equivalent of what this fight was.

• Bingo and lanforod like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:54 PM

Probably 5 milliIon people (idiots) paid $99 each to watch it.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 August 2017 - 10:20 PM.

• Wayne likes this

#60 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:07 PM

Probably 5 milliIon people paid $99 each to watch it.

Not including the popcorn.  :muching_out:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users