Cook & Pendergast
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 324-328 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: in planning
Cook and Pendergast is a proposal at 324-328 Cook Street and 1044-1054 Pendergast Street for a four-storey res... (view full profile)
Learn more about Cook & Pendergast on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Cook & Pendergast (Pic-A-Flic Video site) | Residential and commercial

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

‘We won’t close, we’ll simply relocate if the time comes’ – Pic-A-Flic Video store in Cook Street Village subject of development proposal

Reached by telephone this morning, Pic-A-Flic owner Kent Bendall assures readers that if and when the time comes, and his building is modified or demolished, he'll simply move.

"No way are we going to close, business is too good to simply end.  We'll just relocate."

MORE:

screenshot-www.aragon.ca-2017-08-02-10-27-06.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 02 August 2017 - 10:07 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

Thanks to VHF for the heads-up. VHF also spoke with Fic-A-Flic's owner, who says the business will simply relocate if it is force to move from its currently location.

Mixed-use-residential-and-retail-dev-eyed-for-Pic-A-Flics-Cook-Street-Village-building.jpg

A commercial building at Pendergast and Cook streets in the Cook Street Village, home to Pic-A-Flic Video and a Mac's convenience store, is part of a development proposal by Aragon Properties that could see a lowrise residential and retail development built along the popular commercial strip.

Mixed-use residential and retail dev eyed for Pic-A-Flic's Cook Street Village building

http://victoria.citi...dergast-aragon/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

/\....good to know: otherwise where would I ever get another VHS-video copy of that all time classic movie "Leningrad Cowboys"???!

NOTE: kidding, that was in fact the worst movie in history, bar none. If you ever see it on the shelf and are tempted, just keep on browsing. That's was I got for trusting the opinion of a good friend at the time. Of course it was only later that I learned he was stoned out of his mind when he watched it.....

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

/\....good to know: otherwise where would I ever get another VHS-video copy of that all time classic movie "Leningrad Cowboys"???!

NOTE: kidding, that was in fact the worst movie in history, bar none. If you ever see it on the shelf and are tempted, just keep on browsing. That's was I got for trusting the opinion of a good friend at the time. Of course it was only later that I learned he was stoned out of his mind when he watched it.....

Post of the month right there, and we're only on August 2nd!  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

• AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

Post of the month right there, and we're only on August 2nd!  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

Thank you, good to know I will be remembered for something...

Really what can you expect: the plot revolved around a Russian rock band - that should've been a clue right there! - practicing and rehearsing in an isolated Swedish farmhouse, in the middle of winter, prior to embarking on a tour of America. The last night before flying to the US the lead singer dies. They go anyway - naturally - and for the rest of the movie cart his stiff-as-a-board corpse, on ice, legs sticking straight up, on top of a roof rack on some old beater ex-hearse they had rented to travel around America.

I mean...seriously...what movie premise could possibly hold out the promise of unparalleled drama, and thrills, chills and spills!!!...not to mention the outstanding acting. It was really, really, *really* baaaad......

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

p11733_p_v8_ag.jpg

• AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

And it get's worse.

weekend-at-bernie_s-2-v1.jpg

#8 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

"Bernie's" is a cult classic because it was original and actually had a plot. And it was funny. Leningrad Cowboy's...yeah...not so much. I even watched it stoned myself. Didn't help. It just made the agony of following the 'action' that much slower and incomprehensible. And I got a terrible case of the late night munchies to boot.....

#9 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:37 AM

Try 'Plan 9 from Outer Space': https://en.wikipedia...om_Outer_Space 

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

Try 'Plan 9 from Outer Space'...

That's one of those "so bad it's good" movies. Gotta love 'em.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

That's one of those "so bad it's good" movies. Gotta love 'em.

I feel it's only right to slap myself with this...

off-topic.jpg

#12 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

The developer has some information about this project on its website; not much is posted yet, but I imagine that updates will be coming soon.

See http://www.aragon.ca...street-village/

#13 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

csv1.JPG

The developer's site has been updated with various design options, including 4, 5, and 6-storey designs and massing studies.  There are also various renderings posted, including this one of the corner of Cook / Pendergast . 

See http://www.aragon.ca...street-village/

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 08 November 2017 - 10:10 AM.

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:14 AM

The 4-storey massing is hideous. It will probably be the one that gets approved.

Capture.JPG

Shorter is always better after all, even if it makes for a dreadful aesthetic.

Next community meeting:

Tuesday November 14th, 2017

St Ann’s Acadamy Auditorium
835 Humboldt St.
Victoria, BC V8W 1B1

7:30-8:30pm

• Baro likes this

#15 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

Great catch, Kapten!

Plans for 'Pic-A-Flic Video' redevelopment proposal unveiled

https://victoria.cit...illage-324-328/

• Kapten Kapsell likes this
Know it all.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

Hope the developer is in for a long, rough road.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:10 AM

Hope the developer is in for a long, rough road.

Yeah, the CSV Tree Toppers (those who believe nothing in the area should ever exceed the height of a tree) are going to be strongly against this, if the Oliphant development is any sort of indication.

#18 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

Cascadia Architects has just released the pre-CALUC package and it appears that the design has now been more refined.  See http://fairfieldcomm...-2017-11x17.pdf .  The development name now appears to be Pendergast & Cook.

The developers have opted for a 4-storey design plus rooftop decks.  Detailed plans for each floor have been released, and many of the units are large by current market standards.  The total number of condos is 46 plus 3 commercial units and 81 parking stalls (including 73 underground).

Due to the large unit sizes, 4-storey height, and ample parking I anticipate that this development will win support.

A few of the new renderings:

csv2.JPG

csv3.JPG

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

The 4-storey massing is hideous. It will probably be the one that gets approved...

...The developers have opted for a 4-storey design plus rooftop decks....

It's a lovely design...for 1975.

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:54 PM

I would like to see the Cook Street side but I actually like that design. Of course I also like the design aesthetic of the 1970s...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users