Cook & Pendergast
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 324-328 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: in planning
Cook and Pendergast is a proposal at 324-328 Cook Street and 1044-1054 Pendergast Street for a four-storey res... (view full profile)
Learn more about Cook & Pendergast on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Cook & Pendergast (Pic-A-Flic Video site) | Residential and commercial

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#81 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:49 PM

Renters don't need capital. Just because wealthy capitalist strata unit owners cannot restrict others from renting, doesn't mean they can't reside in the unit themselves.

It was a blatant attempt to try and regulate the nature of the realty interest available, as distinct from the built form and use of the building. Just because it's not provided for in any bylaw, plan, or lawful, is immaterial. It's a shot across the bow of developers. Fortunately, at least 4 of the 7 didn't want to start out the term with a law suit.

What's up with eliminating the three street-side parking spots? They only want bicycle owners and local residents to frequent CSV? Not a good sign for local SMBs.

If I was the developer, I would take the day care proposal off the table after that reception.

Re: parking, I don't remember where the comment came from, but I believe it was related to the boulevard landscaping and street trees. Something about a preference for additional trees and grass in lieu of the three parking spots.

#82 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:09 PM

Re: parking, I don't remember where the comment came from, but I believe it was related to the boulevard landscaping and street trees. Something about a preference for additional trees and grass in lieu of the three parking spots.

I don't have any issues with the elimination of these 3 surface spots; IIRC this development actually exceeds parking requirements via its underground parkade.

#83 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:19 PM

Isitt is trash.

The guy is seriously a loon. A very dangerous quack. He's a commie version of Private Bone Spurs.
  • Nparker, Bob Fugger, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#84 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:11 AM

It's the war on condo units. "Just say no!"

2323713_0.jpg

• jonny likes this

#85 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:21 AM

T-C article on the debate over this development:  https://www.timescol...enza-1.23522013

#86 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:37 AM

There's just no other word for him: Ben Isitt is a communist.

#87 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:41 AM

There's just no other word for him: Ben Isitt is a communist.

Isn't 'Marxist' an alternate word for his worldview?  I thought he had used the term 'Marxist' in the past...

PS hope this isn't being too pedantic.

#88 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:20 AM

I prefer the even more negative connotations of the term communist.

#89 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:32 AM

I don't believe labels are helpful. In any event, it is unfortunate that developers are now facing increased uncertainty when dealing with the current council. Are they going to get into a legal battle with the City? Perhaps, where large projects are impacted, but for smaller projects, no way. That simply means that they will look elsewhere within the GVRD. Perhaps that's what Mr. Isitt wants. He may think that the City can obtain funding to buy up the lands of fleeing developers. Good luck with that.

#90 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:47 PM

Labels are very helpful and it would have been nice if clear labels had been available to the voting public before they cast their ballot.  I fear many didn't really know what they were voting for.

• Nparker likes this

#91 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:55 PM

...I fear many didn't really know what they were voting for.

Even worse, I fear many did know what they were voting for and chose it anyway.  :eek: 

"“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”
- H. L. Mencken

#92 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:41 PM

Labels are very helpful and it would have been nice if clear labels had been available to the voting public before they cast their ballot.  I fear many didn't really know what they were voting for.

But he's such a nice friendly guy in a sweater and sportcoat!

#93 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:13 PM

But he's such a nice friendly guy in a sweater and sportcoat!

So was this guy.

KM.jpg

#94 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:02 AM

What's happening with Affluenza House? :) 

Any rumors as to a potential deal between Aragon and B.C. Housing that would help this project get moving? There has been no update on the tracker.

#95 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:04 AM

What's happening with Affluenza House? 

:thumbsup:

#96 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:10 PM

8FA06517-4DAA-4D43-AB7A-244D76FC4895.jpeg

There appears to be pre-demolition taking place in the former home of Pic a Flic...
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

#97 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:51 PM

Could the final ruling ( percentage of affordable units)  be a turning point for future developments?

#98 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:11 PM

What do you mean in "turning point"?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#99 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:30 PM

There appears to be pre-demolition taking place in the former home of Pic a Flic...

According to staff in Circle K (formerly Mac's), there are renovations happening next door at the former Pic-a-Flic.  Apparently, a real estate firm is moving in.  

Edited by GRT, 22 May 2019 - 02:30 PM.

#100 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:45 PM

Perhaps Aragon has decided to wait for a change at Council before proceeding further.

Either that or a deal has been reached on the number of "affordable housing" units and they are opening a sales center. Not likely.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users