BUILT
Rhodo
Use: townhome
Address: 1712-1720 Fairfield Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Rhodo is a 20-unit townhome development in the 1700-block of Fairfield Road in the City of Victoria's Fairfiel... (view full profile)
Learn more about Rhodo on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] | Rhodo | Townhomes

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#61 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:47 AM

Is there any indication of who may be printing these things? Is there any wording similar to the wording in previous print runs?

I assume it's https://fairfieldcommunity.ca/caluc/ ?

#62 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:22 AM

Naw it’s the folks at the unelected Gonzales Neighbourhood Association: https://www.gonzalesna.ca/

#63 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:42 AM

People are out to lunch!

I like how they do not want apartments on Fairfield Rd. First it was no condos, now all these NIMBYs don't want apartments either. Essentially anything that would add inventory and improve affordability they are against.

Edited by MarkoJ, 17 August 2018 - 09:47 AM.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#64 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:12 AM

As much as I truly dislike the look and street presence of this proposal I do appreciate the professionalism of the developers, their willingness to challenge opponents using factual information vs. emotional rhetoric. I do think that we should retain the basic single family home character of much of Oak Bay, Fairfield and Rockland but there is still tons of opportunity to develop along major roadways and urban villages which reduce car reliance. Fairfield plaza for example is a terrible use of land.

As for more intensive multi family construction, there is still lots of opportunity for that throughout Victoria. Let’s encourage that in the lower cost neighborhoods to a greater degree than the most expensive.

#65 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:27 AM

As much as I truly dislike the look and street presence of this proposal I do appreciate the professionalism of the developers, their willingness to challenge opponents using factual information vs. emotional rhetoric. I do think that we should retain the basic single family home character of much of Oak Bay, Fairfield and Rockland but there is still tons of opportunity to develop along major roadways and urban villages which reduce car reliance. Fairfield plaza for example is a terrible use of land.

As for more intensive multi family construction, there is still lots of opportunity for that throughout Victoria. Let’s encourage that in the lower cost neighborhoods to a greater degree than the most expensive.

The problem is that development bureaucracy and various fees are so astronomically high the economics of it may not work is lower cost neighborhoods in Victoria; therefore, it is likely more difficult to make the projects economically feasible. You are probably facing just as much BS on a similar project to this one on Tillicum Rd somewhere, but you are likely getting 30-35% less for the final product.

The reason it works well in Langford is they cut the red tape. 

This townhome development is taking years longer then it should. Final product can't possibly be cheap after the developer spends time and money on five different designs and as we've seen with Ironworks recently the final design can often be the worst after all the public/city input.

Edited by MarkoJ, 17 August 2018 - 10:27 AM.

• Nparker likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#66 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:37 AM

Naw it’s the folks at the unelected Gonzales Neighbourhood Association: https://www.gonzalesna.ca/

Ahh, thanks for the link.

That group sure is out there... "elected officials and senior staff have, over the past four years, steamrolled over any obstacles in their path. Their mission? To deregulate the development process, re-write zoning bylaws, and approve the limitless number of premium-priced housing units in the City" 

hahaha, I wish that were true! the development process sure needs a few less regulations.

Also, "The Myth of Supply" Somebody better call Keynes and tell him it's all a myth. We have a lot of books to re-write.

This is border-line "the moon landings were faked" level of crazy.

#67 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:43 AM

Good point Marko, the city needs to drive down their costs/fees/bureaucracy to encourage broader development. As well there needs to be far greater clarity in what is acceptable/expected from developers so they aren't wasting their time. Finally we need less political interference, but more transparency/accountability in the various approval stages.

Edited by zoomer, 17 August 2018 - 10:44 AM.

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:43 AM

...approve the limitless number of premium-priced housing units in the City...

Oh the irony! If I am not mistaken, Gonzales already has a plethora of premium priced housing units.

#69 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:06 AM

...Gonzales already has a plethora of premium priced housing units.

Yes, but of those the very new ones are in the minority. Nobody has a problem with wholesome (older) expensive stuff. It's the unwholesome (newer) expensive stuff that's so dangerous.

That's why anything built a few years ago inevitably & very quietly slips out of the "new & threatening" category and gets re-filed under the "established & threatened" category. Time and time again we've seen this.

• Nparker and PPPdev like this

#70 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:22 PM

Ahh, thanks for the link.

That group sure is out there... "elected officials and senior staff have, over the past four years, steamrolled over any obstacles in their path. Their mission? To deregulate the development process, re-write zoning bylaws, and approve the limitless number of premium-priced housing units in the City" 

hahaha, I wish that were true! the development process sure needs a few less regulations.

Also, "The Myth of Supply" Somebody better call Keynes and tell him it's all a myth. We have a lot of books to re-write.

This is border-line "the moon landings were faked" level of crazy.

From https://www.gonzalesna.ca/why:

In the proposed 2018 Neighbourhood Plan, the Hollywood Pet Centre and Gonzales Pharmacy will be zoned as "Small Urban Villages." With that designation, developers can submit proposals to build 3-storey buildings anywhere within 400 metres of the "village centre" including; multi-unit buildings; rowhouses and apartments; free-standing commercial and mixed-use buildings. 

Allowing these types of designations would essentially give developers free reign to destroy the Gonzales and Fairfield neighbourhoods as we know them.

Apparently, allowing construction of three-storey buildings will irreparably harm the community.  :whyme:

#71 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:01 PM

I've heard these townhomes start at $1.5 million, anyone have confirmation of that?

#72 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 01:26 AM

As part of the development team I can confirm that there are no plans to have these townhouses start at $1.5m. Due to the sheer time of the approvals it is impossible to definitely guabrantee the starting price but when we started the project, we designed units to be in the range of half of that price.

#73 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:45 AM

ah ok, its what I heard from someone who lives in the neighborhood.  750k ish seems like a fair starting price

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:57 AM

The misinformation campaign is doing quite well, I see.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 Tdkstory

Tdkstory
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:15 AM

Any idea what the next steps are or what the timeline might be for sales/construction/etc?

As part of the development team I can confirm that there are no plans to have these townhouses start at $1.5m. Due to the sheer time of the approvals it is impossible to definitely guabrantee the starting price but when we started the project, we designed units to be in the range of half of that price.

#76 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:41 PM

We have resubmitted our 6th revision and are awaiting staff review and then it’s off to Committee of the Whole. We are anticipating this to be post election...

#77 rsnxmt

rsnxmt
  • 53 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:16 PM

Any update on timeline for the Committee of the Whole?

We have resubmitted our 6th revision and are awaiting staff review and then it’s off to Committee of the Whole. We are anticipating this to be post election...

#78 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:42 PM

This is going to CotW on Thursday the 22nd.

#79 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:04 PM

Yep, the day is finally here!

If you support this project, please fill out a form here: https://www.talktoaryze.ca/rhodo

Or email mayor and council at mayorandcouncil@victoria.ca

Thanks!

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:41 AM

Ah, very good.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users