BUILT
Rhodo
Use: townhome
Address: 1712-1720 Fairfield Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Rhodo is a 20-unit townhome development in the 1700-block of Fairfield Road in the City of Victoria's Fairfiel... (view full profile)
Learn more about Rhodo on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] | Rhodo | Townhomes

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#81 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:04 PM

Rhodo was on the agenda for today's COTW meeting but was pulled last minute.  What gives?

#82 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:56 PM

How much time do you have...

We have to go do another CALUC as the FGNA requested one due to changes in the project that we made based on community feeeback. Requesting another CALUC the day before going to CoTW is unfortunate but process is process!

Ah well

#83 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 06:20 PM

We have to go do another CALUC as the FGNA requested one due to changes in the project that we made based on community feeeback. Requesting another CALUC the day before going to CoTW is unfortunate but process is process!

Ah well

I feel your pain, brother.  I subdivided a small lot off of a rental property in Fairfield in February.  At the COTW the previous October, a bunch of hard on neighbours sent in late correspondence falsely stating that I did not conduct the small lot petition correctly.  It being COTW, I was allowed zero opportunity to rebut using the EXTENSIVE notes that I had taken while petitioning FOR JUST SUCH AN OCCASION.  Council made me redo the petition.  Still won in the end, but it knocked me back a few months.  Now, don't get me started about LTSA...

EDIT: Let us know when it is on here and I'll come down to support.

Edited by Bob Fugger, 23 November 2018 - 06:28 PM.

#84 Jared

Jared
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:24 AM

Is this the Aryze proposal that has white bicycles and sandwich boards chained to public bike parking by the Janion and the head of the Galloping Goose? I think putting advertisements on public land like this is despicable and I hope you get fined.

aOyNCAa.jpg

#85 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:45 AM

Is this the Aryze proposal that has white bicycles and sandwich boards chained to public bike parking by the Janion and the head of the Galloping Goose? I think putting advertisements on public land like this is despicable and I hope you get fined.

This time of year, are there really that many people chaining up their bikes? I don't mind it personally.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#86 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:48 AM

Ah well

.....so much for "affordable housing." It would appear at every single step every single effort is made to make all new development unaffordable with BS bureaucracy.

I feel your pain. I am surprised people have the patience to get into the development game.

• Nparker, jonny, grantpalin and 1 other like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#87 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:36 PM

Looking for your previous posts demonstrating your outrage at the City providing in-kind subsidies a for-profit bike rental company (i.e., just dump them on City-owned boulevards) that competes with other for-profit bike rental companies but can't find them, hmmm...  :squint:

#88 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:18 PM

New CALUC is December 13 at 7:00pm at the FGNA. Should be a lively one!

#89 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:53 PM

What do you anticipate being controversial this time around...?

#90 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:27 PM

Well, if we follow the setback requests for the 'Gonzales Neighbourhood Association', then we are left with a small triangle of unbuildable land.

If we follow the requests to "respect the existing zoning", then we can build two brand new singe family homes under the R1-G zoning.

If we follow the request to "not use the park as private space", well, we aren't so not sure what to do there.

If we respect the "neighbourhood character" and ignore the townhouses across the street and the three storey apartment across the street as well...then we can build two new single family dwellings as Gonzales is 98% zoned for this.

Oh, it won't do anything to address affordability because somehow a townhouse that costs 40-50% less then a brand new single family home is apparently not worthwhile. 

Vacant homes are 7% of the housing stock according to several members of the GNA so we should not allow new homes to be built, just force people to rent out their vacant homes and that will solve all housing problems.

We have 1 bylaw protected tree on the property being removed as it is in poor health. We are taking out a bunch of small, scraggly trees and this will ruin the tree canopy in the area. The 74 new trees being planted will not help with this.

aaaaand at 0.85FSR, we are "too dense" even though it is 15% below the allowable FSR under the OCP. Some SFD's in the area are more dense than this.

Lastly, making a profit is also not allowed.

:)

Edited by PPPdev, 26 November 2018 - 09:37 PM.

• grantpalin and fairfield-ghost like this

#91 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:44 PM

I hope you stick to the game because the worst thing that can happen is that no one bothers with building new houses anymore. I can't believe just how far these NIMBYs have their heads stuck up their asses, people living on 8,000 sqft lots preaching that you can't have townhouses because of the trees. That this happens despite existing density evidently posing no problems whatsoever just goes to show how they'll literally make up problems so they can feel like they're exercising some sort of power in a democracy, even if it's at the cost of property rights and people's ability to find shelter.

#92 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:53 PM

Well, if we follow the setback requests for the 'Gonzales Neighbourhood Association', then we are left with a small triangle of unbuildable land.

If we follow the requests to "respect the existing zoning", then we can build two brand new singe family homes under the R1-G zoning.

If we follow the request to "not use the park as private space", well, we aren't so not sure what to do there.

If we respect the "neighbourhood character" and ignore the townhouses across the street and the three storey apartment across the street as well...then we can build two new single family dwellings as Gonzales is 98% zoned for this.

Oh, it won't do anything to address affordability because somehow a townhouse that costs 40-50% less then a brand new single family home is apparently not worthwhile.

Vacant homes are 7% of the housing stock according to several members of the GNA so we should not allow new homes to be built, just force people to rent out their vacant homes and that will solve all housing problems.

We have 1 bylaw protected tree on the property being removed as it is in poor health. We are taking out a bunch of small, scraggly trees and this will ruin the tree canopy in the area. The 74 new trees being planted will not help with this.

aaaaand at 0.85FSR, we are "too dense" even though it is 15% below the allowable FSR under the OCP. Some SFD's in the area are more dense than this.

Lastly, making a profit is also not allowed.

:)

Sounds like a headache. I’d just go build elsewhere

#93 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:24 PM

Sounds like a headache. I’d just go build elsewhere

Seriously.  Unless you are too far in or have some sort of 1950s view of downtown, why bother?  Quite seriously, we all know the urban decay will grow.

#94 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:21 PM

No can do, we believe in what we are doing. We believe that diverse housing options lead to healthy, diverse cities. If all developers before us gave up, we’d have very little housing today!

Edited by PPPdev, 27 November 2018 - 12:21 PM.

• Mike K., Nparker, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#95 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:38 PM

There are no end of businesses that put up signs without any permission.   Most common are real estate agents putting open house signs on public land.   Last time I checked these is not allowed under the sign bylaw

#96 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:45 PM

No can do, we believe in what we are doing. We believe that diverse housing options lead to healthy, diverse cities. If all developers before us gave up, we’d have very little housing today!

I am not saying stop building obviously, just that maybe Gonzales aint worth it 

#97 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:24 PM

Just a reminder, our community meeting is tomorrow, Dec 13th at 7pm at 1330 Fairfield Road

Would love to see some VV’ers there

#98 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:44 PM

Hope it's going well somehow, sadly I fell with the flu and couldn't make it.

#99 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:42 PM

It was as suspected :)

#100 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

It was as suspected :)

That sounds... ominous

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users