Uber / Lyft in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
944 replies to this topic

#221 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:24 PM

Plus, doesn't the session end this week. It'll die where it is, I'd guess.

#222 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:33 AM

So who here is going to proactively get their class 4 so they can sign up for uber as soon as it is released?

Best money to be made is at the beginning before the market is saturated.

#223 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:09 AM

No.  UBER requires drivers to have cars no older than 5 years, I believe.  Mine is approaching 15.

As for saturation?  Hardly.  Very few people will go get a class 4 for this.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#224 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:32 AM

Yes but the the onus sits with government to bring forward the bill to a final vote which will not likely happen. 

I am confused, please explain this more

#225 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:35 AM

No. UBER requires drivers to have cars no older than 5 years, I believe. Mine is approaching 15.

As for saturation? Hardly. Very few people will go get a class 4 for this.

That’s the point. Opportunity at the beginning for those ahead of the game.

#226 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:48 AM

No.  UBER requires drivers to have cars no older than 5 years, I believe.  Mine is approaching 15.

As for saturation?  Hardly.  Very few people will go get a class 4 for this.  

Vehicle model is entirely dependent on the city you're driving in. For example, the requirement in City of Toronto is max. 7 years old (i.e. 2011 model), whereas the rest of the GTA is up to 10 years old (i.e. 2008 model). That said, your car still wouldn't meet those requirements (but it does meet the 20 year requirement for Uber Eats delivery!)

Other requirements typically include 4 doors, sedan or SUV, no cosmetic damage, and no rebuilt vehicles. Looking at Toronto again, Uber will not accept trucks or certain vans.

#227 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:10 AM

And in an interesting move by Lyft, they now have on ice advertising at Rogers Arena.

#228 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:55 AM

There’s an age limit? Last year when I used the service in Vegas I ended up in a vehicle that was 12-17 years old just going by the generation of the model.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#229 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:59 AM

So who here is going to proactively get their class 4 so they can sign up for uber as soon as it is released?

Best money to be made is at the beginning before the market is saturated.

Class 4 is a joke license and provides nothing more than a medical and how to do a pre-trip...no special driver training, but the masses dont know that and think it gives an added layer of protection..nope.

Edited by rjag, 27 November 2018 - 12:00 PM.

#230 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:05 PM

There’s an age limit? Last year when I used the service in Vegas I ended up in a vehicle that was 12-17 years old just going by the generation of the model.

In Nevada the current requirement is no more than 15 years old for UberX, and no more than 6 years old for Uber Select

Who knows what it will be in BC, or if it will be like Ontario where different municipalities have different requirements. All of that is up to Uber, probably with some input from whoever is providing them with a license to operate.

#231 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:08 PM

Ah, gotcha.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#232 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:49 PM

The more I think about this latest vote I like it, a clear message to the NDP they aren't in control and the Greens/Liberals can override them when they feel like it.  :thumbsup:    I hope to see more soon!

#233 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:55 PM

This has hints of a last-ditch PR promotion effort by the Greens.

Know it all.

#234 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:12 PM

If and when UBER comes to Victoria, I will continue to support the Taxi business instead. 

I only take a taxi about once a year, and they work very hard to make a living. They are properly licensed, and insured, and they have regulated meters that are LOCKED so the driver's can't change the price settings on them. The taxi's also have to undergo provincially certified inspections once every 6 months in order to stay on the road. 

#235 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:27 PM

If you take a taxi once a year you're not exactly qualified to pass judgement on the kinds of issues riders experience at the hands of taxi drivers.

Have you ever been told at the end of your ride that the fare is cash-only, or lost a cab you hailed during a busy time because the driver wouldn't travel to your requested destination? Or waited, and waited, and waited for a cab that's just minutes away while the driver is picking up fares regardless of your call for a cab? The cab business is tough, and the margins are thin which gives way to abuse and unsatisfied passengers. The industry has legislated itself into a corner where medallions cost an arm and a leg, costs are high, limits exist on how many vehicles can serve one area, and the market is left dealing with a half-measure of a solution.

To your point about the fares, Uber/Lyft drivers have no control over the fare. That's all handled by supercomputers.

• rjag and thundergun like this

Know it all.

#236 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:53 PM

^The last 2 times the cab I called ahead for couldn't find my address.  How the heck does that happen with modern GPS and driving directions on any smartphone or in dash GPS?  Meanwhile both times I'm on the phone finding out where they are and trying to guide them over the phone and I have a flight to catch.

The taxi industry is pathetic and I'm hoping Uber gives them the kiss in the a$$ they need.  As soon as Uber is here I'll never take a taxi again!

#237 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:32 PM

If you take a taxi once a year you're not exactly qualified to pass judgement on the kinds of issues riders experience at the hands of taxi drivers.

Have you ever been told at the end of your ride that the fare is cash-only, or lost a cab you hailed during a busy time because the driver wouldn't travel to your requested destination? Or waited, and waited, and waited for a cab that's just minutes away while the driver is picking up fares regardless of your call for a cab? The cab business is tough, and the margins are thin which gives way to abuse and unsatisfied passengers. The industry has legislated itself into a corner where medallions cost an arm and a leg, costs are high, limits exist on how many vehicles can serve one area, and the market is left dealing with a half-measure of a solution.

To your point about the fares, Uber/Lyft drivers have no control over the fare. That's all handled by supercomputers.

Oh I would say I qualify to pass judgment on this topic...........I used to be a cab driver.

#238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:35 PM

So you're well aware of the stunts some drivers pull, the terrible condition of some cabs, and the lack of resources during busy periods.

• tjv likes this

Know it all.

#239 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:37 PM

Class 4 is a joke license and provides nothing more than a medical and how to do a pre-trip...no special driver training, but the masses dont know that and think it gives an added layer of protection..nope.

Did they say whether it would be restricted or unrestricted class 4?  And is there a difference in difficulty of how to get it?

#240 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:40 PM

I don't take a cab often enough to have an opinion.  However I have heard enough horror stories about lack of cabs on busy nights that I know we need a solution and Uber is one.   Easier access to transportation is good for local businesses (especially alcohol/pot servers).   Not a fan of the company at all though and drivers often make less than minimum wage once you do a full accounting of costs.  

Edited by LeoVictoria, 27 November 2018 - 02:41 PM.

• rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users