Uber / Lyft in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
940 replies to this topic

#301 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:53 AM

You can get a square card reader for free online.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#302 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:55 AM

If a Uber driver advertises as such but will take cash fares outside of the app, is that legal as far as Uber is concerned?

The driver can't really do that as the app tracks the ride and charges the rider automatically. The only way around that AFAIK would be for the rider to cancel the ride just as she was getting into the car and then pay cash to the driver but then the rider would soon be banned from the service if she cancelled more than a couple of rides.

#303 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,345 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:33 AM

perhaps op meant can that driver make arrangements for the trip home at the end of the night directly with that customer outside of the app.

#304 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

perhaps op meant can that driver make arrangements for the trip home at the end of the night directly with that customer outside of the app.

Sure but how does the driver meet the customer without the app? 

#305 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

the customer calls them?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 March 2019 - 11:17 AM.

#306 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:02 PM

The driver can't really do that as the app tracks the ride and charges the rider automatically. The only way around that AFAIK would be for the rider to cancel the ride just as she was getting into the car and then pay cash to the driver but then the rider would soon be banned from the service if she cancelled more than a couple of rides.

The driver advertises himself as a 5 star Uber driver on the neighborhood website "next door" and folks can pm him for rates, set pick up times etc. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#307 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:39 AM

The driver advertises himself as a 5 star Uber driver on the neighborhood website "next door" and folks can pm him for rates, set pick up times etc. 

Sure but then the consumer loses all of the advantages of using Uber in the first place (payment, tracking, route planning, fare control, etc). 

#308 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:46 AM

he will occasionally sacrifice all those when he is comfortable with a specific driver he gets along with and trusts for the occasional ride. not all the time.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 March 2019 - 09:47 AM.

#309 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:00 AM

this article is good

https://www.cbc.ca/n...y-ipo-1.5084575

#310 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:16 AM

Why investors can't wait to buy into Uber, a company that's never made money — and maybe never will

It's quite an impressive feat for a company that has burned through $20 billion worth of venture capital money since its founding in 2009 — and, by its own admission — may never turn a profit.

"We have incurred significant losses since inception," the company acknowledges in paperwork it filed with regulators in April, on the road to going public in Friday's IPO. "We expect our operating expenses to increase significantly in the foreseeable future, and we may not achieve profitability."

Gone are the days of income-generating, profit-making new enterprises that actually create wealth. Today's stock market darlings absorb infinite amounts of wealth created elsewhere while presenting (in some cases boasting) unclear paths towards profitability.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#311 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:36 AM

your first sentence is a bit extreme. but it’s clear if you are startup especially heavy in tech it’ll take some amount of losses until you turn.

but as that article explains I see the gamble is on whether self driving takes off. and if uber and lyft are the ones to dominate. i would not bet on it just like I see no clear leader in old fashioned vending machines. which self driving car fleets would not be that different from.

#312 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:51 AM

Show me a tech company that went public within the last five years and is turning a profit. It's very rare for that to be the case.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#313 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:05 AM

easy. happened last month. zoom.

$17 billion valuation.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 May 2019 - 08:07 AM.

#314 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:09 AM

Zoom, aka a unicorn. That’s slang for the extremely rare case scenario where there is profit.

But yes, you’re certainly correct.

Know it all.

#315 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:16 AM

uber shares down 7% in early trading.

#316 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

1% in the red now. News reports now guesstimating profitability by 2030. That’s outrageous.

Know it all.

#317 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:41 AM

1% in the red now. News reports now guesstimating profitability by 2030. That’s outrageous.

And that's assuming the Uber drivers don't start unionizing, or getting worker protections, or otherwise push back against the downloading of the costs of business to them and eliminate what little margins for profit Uber has by being exploitative disruptive in the market.

• Mike K. likes this

#318 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:45 AM

Heard a rumor today that the u-bike folks have the blessing of City Hall to start a ride sharing service in Victoria.

#319 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:48 AM

^ excellent if true. Another opportunity for Horgan to tell Helps where to shove it.

#320 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:49 AM

^ excellent if true. Another opportunity for Horgan to tell Helps where to shove it.

I have nothing against a private enterprise trying to find ways to grow their business, but my experience to date with u-bike hardly leaves me with the feeling that there are a good choice for the City to back. 

I was downtown yesterday between meetings and I thought that I would take 15 minutes to see if I could find a bike using the u-bike app since the overwhelming feedback through google and other sources seems to be that it is extremely difficult. Despite the app showing dozens of bikes nearby, after 15 minutes of searching in the locations that the app told me to search, I was able to find 1 bike. During that time I saw nobody riding a bike nor did I see any other u-bikes.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users