Uber / Lyft in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
940 replies to this topic

#341 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

absolutely. of course one of the reasons we did not previously let them do that is because they could “drive you the long way” or just charge more than a fair rate if you were unsuspecting say in a new city. but technology has fixed that. or should have by now. for both taxis and new alternatives.

#342 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:30 AM

here is an article highly critical of uber's business model.

it's a long read but interesting.

https://americanaffa...of-destruction/

#343 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:52 AM

here is an article highly critical of uber's business model.

it's a long read but interesting.

https://americanaffa...of-destruction/

I'm not going to read it because the genie is out the bottle, BC is the only place left in NA that doesn't have some form of UBER/Lyft.

Lets compare what is being fought against by a very small minority

Blockbuster - Netflix

Typewriters - PC's and Printers

Photocopiers - Scanners

Passenger ships - Airplanes

Candles - electric light

Outhouses - Sewage systems

Letter writing - E-mail

Telephone - Cell phone

Cell-phone - Facetime

Yellow Pages - Google

etc etc

Even technologies that disrupted/displaced older technologies are now themselves being replaced....its evolution and will continue no matter how many left wing King Canutes there are

Edited by rjag, 09 June 2019 - 07:53 AM.

#344 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

read the article rjag. i don't agree with much of it but it was worth my time.  they make some good points simply about its business model. not necessarily arguing it's a bad thing for customers.  just that it's not that different than old fashioned cabs.  and that it distorted markets and brought down legacy services in a way that is not sustainable long-term. it only did it with investors money.  foolish investors' money in the author's opinion.

ride sharing is happening every day in bc. almost every car you see that has more than one passenger is a sort of ride share in a sense. two or more individuals negotiated the cost/benefits of going together in one car..  i think that technology might develop that makes more of this possible and acceptable with slightly less familiar drivers/passengers.  i mean that if i need a drive to the ferry there might be soon a way to connect me with someone i can trust to take me there.  and at best that software provider will take 5-10% of the cut.  not the 25-30% uber currently takes.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 June 2019 - 08:11 AM.

#345 thaicobb

thaicobb
  • 75 posts
  • LocationLA & Victoria

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:00 AM

The article got me curious.  I regularly take Uber/Lyft on trips from my LA area home to Burbank airport (BUR) and regular cab from my Victoria home to YYJ.  Both trips are about the same time in light traffic, but the trip to BUR is about 37km vs about 27km to YYJ.  In heavy traffic, an extremely common occurrence in LA, the trip to BUR lengthens considerably in time.  Based on actual fares paid, cost with tip is about $2.64/km for the cab to YYJ and about $1.62/km for Uber/Lyft to BUR.  Thus, not quite 40% less for the ride share. In cases of unpredicted heavy traffic, the ride share cost is unchanged and the financial penalty of that is borne wholly by the driver.  As pointed out in the article, many, if not most, ride share drivers presently make less net than minimum wage, and in expensive urban areas like LA (min. wage US$12/hr) this is especially the case.  One would expect that, once competitive players are eliminated, the ride share fares must rise to about the level of present cab fares.

#346 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:15 AM

i think the article is a bit dishonest when it states that 90% of new york "app drivers" are new immigrants.  the article is about uber or lyft.  but when they group all app drivers together they are also including all the food and goods delivery drivers.  which might be more numerous than ride hail drivers in new york.  there are at least 50,000 bike food delivery drivers in new york alone.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 June 2019 - 08:18 AM.

#347 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

read the article rjag. i don't agree with much of it but it was worth my time.  they make some good points simply about its business model. not necessarily arguing it's a bad thing for customers.  just that it's not that different than old fashioned cabs.  and that it distorted markets and brought down legacy services in a way that is not sustainable long-term. it only did it with investors money.  foolish investors' money in the author's opinion.

ride sharing is happening every day in bc. almost every car you see that has more than one passenger is a sort of ride share in a sense. two or more individuals negotiated the cost/benefits of going together in one car..  i think that technology might develop that makes more of this possible and acceptable with slightly less familiar drivers/passengers.  i mean that if i need a drive to the ferry there might be soon a way to connect me with someone i can trust to take me there.  and at best that software provider will take 5-10% of the cut.  not the 25-30% uber currently takes.

But thats the wonderful thing about Free-Market capitalism...it will either float or sink. But the effect is that innovation is being attempted....much like the early designs of passenger planes etc...most of them crashed and the few that didnt werent sustainable but the fuse was lit.

Much like Uber, the fuse has been lit, the progress to connected driverless cars is well under way. Like Tesla, they are in the forefront of the change, they most likely wont survive the change and there will be very many iterations of the model as it evolves...but evolve it will. With or without BC and its protectionist policy. The people that get left behind are the ones like BC   

#348 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:22 AM

Much like Uber, the fuse has been lit, the progress to connected driverless cars is well under way. Like Tesla, they are in the forefront of the change, they most likely wont survive the change and there will be very many iterations of the model as it evolves...but evolve it will. With or without BC and its protectionist policy. The people that get left behind are the ones like BC   

i agree with this.  

• VIResident likes this

#349 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:58 PM

The B.C. government has stamped a definitive “no” on Class 5 drivers’ licenses for ridesharing drivers, ignoring an all-party committee’s recommendation.

In a letter to the Passenger Transportation Board (PTB), Transportation Minister Claire Trevena outlines her concerns about Class 5 licenses for ride hailing companies.

“I am a firm believer in safety and believe that a commercial Class 4 driver license provides a safer atmosphere for passenger directed vehicle movements, with extra testing and a medical examination completed at the time of application and in routine intervals thereafter,” Trevena writes.

https://globalnews.c...impression=true

#350 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:12 PM

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum has indicated he doesn’t want to see ride-hailing here in this city

https://www.vicnews....board-of-trade/

#351 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:21 PM

https://www.vicnews....board-of-trade/

Surrey doesn’t want ride sharing? What an absolute shock
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#352 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:39 PM

“Here in this city!”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#353 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:42 PM

BC, Luddite central.

• Victoria Watcher and VIResident like this

#354 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:15 PM

BC, Luddite central.

More like simple protectionism of the existing taxi industry.  The technology of "ridesharing" has already been co-opted.  See: Kater

#355 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:28 AM

More like simple protectionism of the existing taxi industry.  The technology of "ridesharing" has already been co-opted.  See: Kater

More like simple protectionism of a minority government. If Uber/Lyft and their supporters could deliver 4 seats then we would have already had ride sharing.

Edited by spanky123, 14 June 2019 - 06:29 AM.

#356 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:39 AM

Ma said B.C.'s plan to stick with the class 4 licence regulation is "non-negotiable."
"We know that its important for people to be confident that when they are hailing a ride and getting into a car with somebody they don't know, and paying them to drive them around to a set destination, that they actually get there."

???

https://www.timescol...year-1.23879173

that class 4 will make sure they get there?

#357 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:47 AM

^Nothing to do with safety and everything to do with keeping Uber/Lyft out.

#358 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:58 AM

The onus will be on the government to prove that its measures made BC's ride sharing industry safer, more reliable and more valuable to British Columbians than counterparts in other jurisdictions. Failing that, I can't see the industry continuing on its heavily regulated made-in-BC path for very long.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#359 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:04 AM

they are going to limit the number of drivers. that’s a major fail.

#360 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:17 AM

they are going to limit the number of drivers. that’s a major fail.

The policies themselves will limit the number of drivers. In addition to obtaining a class 4 license, drivers will be required to pay for at least annual and often semi-annual inspections, a new insurance product from ICBC which you know will be expensive, pay for upgrades to their vehicles to support handicapped passengers or else pay a $.30 per trip fee, etc, etc. It will certainly exclude the part time drivers which represent about 80% of the base according to Uber.

Edited by spanky123, 09 July 2019 - 06:18 AM.

• Midnightly likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users