• 52,867 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 03:56 PM

Hopefully not anytime soon..

why?

#722 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

They increase traffic and congestion, take away from trips that are taken by bike or transit, take away political will to develop transit, spend almost half the time driving around NOT carrying passengers, plus the pretty terrible way they treat their employees, err, contractors.

More here: https://usa.streetsb...ne-simple-list/
  • Brayvehart likes this

#723 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 04:12 PM

They increase traffic and congestion, take away from trips that are taken by bike or transit, take away political will to develop transit, spend almost half the time driving around NOT carrying passengers, plus the pretty terrible way they treat their employees, err, contractors.

but i think the service they provide outweighs all that.  and you and others have a choice to not take it if you don't want to.  if enough of you agree it'll fail anyway.

• lanforod likes this

#724 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:38 PM

Where I live we have very limited transit, and only a couple of cabs that are willing to service the area. Waits of 45-1:30 are not uncommon on busy nights, and sometimes you just can’t get a cab because it’s unreasonable to wait beyond the anticipated wait time and you hoof it, or drive one way hoof it back the other way. Uber would be a tremendous help.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#725 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:53 PM

So, my 'day job' sees me over in Vancouver on a 4days on/4 off schedule.  Pre-covid, I was staying in my mum's spare room on the North Shore, and driving over to the airport every day.  Thinking that I could have some company, and make a little money on the side during my daily commute, I signed up for Uber.  I have/had no desire to drive a taxi - I just switch on the app when I'm going somewhere, and if i get a fare, then that's ok; if I don't then that's ok, too.  I've done a couple of days of 'taxi driving' but I always tried to pull over when I didn't have a fare on, and waited for a call.  Money was ok (specially on my commuting days), came every week, without any hitches.  All I have to do is keep my car clean, be courteous, and drive safely.  I suspect that all of your complaints could also be made of conventional taxicabs..

• rjag likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#726 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:03 PM

And in this situation, looks like it has turned out well for you. None of the issues I mentioned really come to fruition here when it comes to picking up passengers on your commute. I think the issue is when people are forced to drive full time for uber. And, before I hear the "no one is forcing them to do this" lines, the bills aren't waiting for someone to get another job. Sometimes it can be a necessity. And that's when things really start to go downhill for people. 70 hour weeks, no time for bathroom breaks and literal pee bottles in the cars, no benefits or insurance as they aren't technically employees, high car maintenance costs that come right out of their pocket, the requirement to keep their cars 5 years or newer (I think that is what it is, if not, close to that). All in, drivers are taking home between $3-$10 an hour after all costs are taken into effect. Many more stories here - https://www.cnbc.com...eally-like.html

All the while the company is not profitable, probably won't be for awhile as they are just living off VC funding subsidies hoping for the day that they can roll out driverless cars, or until they finally kill off taxi companies and transit routes, making them a requirement, and start to raise prices.

I know taxis get a bad rep around here, and especially on the mainland, but compared to Uber, their employees are treated like royalty. And some of my complaints could also be made of taxis too, but some not. They've coexisted with transit, and bike transportation for so long, I don't know how many of those trips they are siphoning off all of a sudden. And new transit routes are still being added, even with taxis around. Sure, less of them on the road the better, but sometimes transit and bikes just won't work, especially when you need to get home to Mike K's place late at night, even if it is a long wait.

So in short, sure for some people they're able to make a few bucks on Uber and for others it might offer a level of service that just isn't there in taxi cabs. I just think they do more harm than good.

Edited by marks_28, 01 January 2021 - 11:04 PM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#727 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:12 AM

Going by how insanely busy Skip the Dishes and other food deliveries are in our region, Uber is going to be hugely in demand.

For the passive income it provides most people, Uber is a win-win for operators and users.

And don’t believe everything you read about the negatives, Marks. There is a concerted effort by unions to try to step in to that industry and they are going to work extra hard to bringing the public’s attention to outliers.
  • max.bravo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#728 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:30 AM

companies that are not profitable do much good for consumers. namely leave cash in our pockets for other goods and services.

#729 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:32 AM

So basically Marks has described most entrepreneurs just starting their business! 70 hour weeks, no paycheque, (peeing in a bottle, that describes every livery service company around the world for the last 100 years)
Life is full of risks, failure and limited success, heck it’s hard enough trying to make a go at something without having the negative nannies whipping out random confirmation bias studies from major metro areas and assume the same issues apply in every single region.
Who the Fock is going to ride their bike 1/2 cut at 3 in the morning in a rainstorm when they could call an Uber or a taxi because buses don’t run then?
Is this the same mindset that wants to ban parking at hospitals?

Edited by rjag, 02 January 2021 - 08:33 AM.

• LJ and sebberry like this

#730 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:17 AM

Yes, that does sound like entrepreneurs starting a business. Except these aren’t entrepreneurs, they are low level company workers who will never see any payout to their hard work. They’re just trying to survive long enough until they can find a better job.

And no, I don’t expect people to bike home drunk in a rainstorm. I noted that while Uber does have some benefits (this), I feel the cons outweigh them.

And re parking at hospitals, I don’t think it should be banned, but it shouldn’t be free.

And yes, consumers are benefiting from Uber running at a loss right now, but it won’t be like this forever.

#731 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:42 AM

That’s the thing about free choice and free market economies. They will thrive or die. Blockbuster learned that the hard way.
Btw have you seen how many food delivery service cars there are these days? What’s the difference?

I’ve used Uber in many cites in Eu and US and also cabs. They all worked well because they knew they were competing. The BC taxi companies are basically a cartel and don’t provide the level of services in some locales that these alternatives can.
Just like bike rentals, they will work or they won’t
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#732 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:04 AM

My evening walks a little after dinner time take me down from Oak Bay Junction to Dallas Road, back up through Cook St. Village and down Fort or Yates Street.  (stalk me if you want, I could do with the company)  Hardly a night goes by where I don't see 5 or more Skip/Uber/etc... food drivers loading or unloading.  Heck, you can't walk into some Tim Hortons half the time without half a dozen food drivers standing their waiting for an order.  I agree it probably has a negative impact on congestion and emissions, however.

As for Uber & Lyft - They started out as a way for soccer parents (gender neutral here) to make a few extra bucks by being able to give rides after dropping off the kids and sack of balls to the soccer field.  They were never intended to be full-time income for someone as a driver.

Who here asks their friends for their license, never mind their class 4, when asking for a ride to the airport or for them to be the group's DD for the night?  Here's a thought, maybe class 5 drivers should be capped at 10-20 hours a month or something to enforce the 'side-gig' aspect of the operation.

• rjag and JohnsonStBridge like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#733 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:08 AM

You as the passenger have the option to tip whatever you want after your ride is done, so if you feel they're underpaid, you can change that, if you like.

Know it all.

#734 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:09 AM

I also think you have to consider other aspects of the gig economy. if the “worker” can read a book or watch a movie between calls is that such a bad thing they are not paid for that portion of the hour?

#735 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:11 AM

Uber drivers also don't have to front any cash for their shift, like taxi drivers who. They have to lease the cab and whether they make money that shift or not it doesn't matter. They also have to fuel the vehicle, and keep it clean.

Know it all.

#736 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:06 PM

Uber drivers also don't have to front any cash for their shift, like taxi drivers who. They have to lease the cab and whether they make money that shift or not it doesn't matter. They also have to fuel the vehicle, and keep it clean.

Well, to be fair, Uber drivers do need to keep a relatively new vehicle in good working order and fueled up before they can give rides.

• Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#737 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:13 AM

My evening walks a little after dinner time take me down from Oak Bay Junction to Dallas Road, back up through Cook St. Village and down Fort or Yates Street.  (stalk me if you want, I could do with the company) 

I'll have to watch for you Seb. Sounds like we have walked by each other at some time. Must admit I've never seen any polar bears though.

I've never used any of the food delivery services. I am amused when I see them go in to Timmies, 7-eleven, Subway. Isn't there some flat fee for this? Seems like pricey fast food.

#738 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:54 AM

Uber drivers in Britain should be classed as "workers" and not self-employed, the U.K. Supreme Court ruled Friday, in a decision that threatens the company's business model and holds broader implications for the gig economy.

The ruling paves the way for Uber drivers to get benefits such as paid holidays and the minimum wage, handing defeat to the ride-hailing giant in the culmination of a long-running legal battle. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...oyees-1.5919865

#739 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:21 AM

^Progressives fall all over themselves with stuff like this. On the one hand they want to hand it to the greedy taxi corporations yet on the other they want to force Uber and Lyft into non-sustainable business practices.

The progressive young tech worker making a 6 figure salary is quite happy to have their 'worker' paid $10 an hour if it is a service they want to use. Every other employer should be paying a living wage of course!

Edited by spanky123, 19 February 2021 - 11:51 AM.

#740 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:21 PM

^Progressives fall all over themselves with stuff like this. On the one hand they want to hand it to the greedy taxi corporations yet on the other they want to force Uber and Lyft into non-sustainable business practices.

The progressive young tech worker making a 6 figure salary is quite happy to have their 'worker' paid $10 an hour if it is a service they want to use. Every other employer should be paying a living wage of course!

I think you've made up an imaginary progressive bad guy. I don't know anyone who thinks this way. Do you?
  • Brantastic likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users