• Please log in to reply
944 replies to this topic

#881 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 07:31 PM

That map made my eyes water.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#882 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 02:04 AM

Commuters in Victoria will soon be able to hail a ride not just via taxi but also Uber when the app hits the gas in B.C.’s capital following a long-awaited, bumpy road to fruition.

“Next week, Uber will be available in Victoria, and here’s all the information you need to know,” reads a Monday email from the ride-hailing giant to potential drivers.

A company spokesperson tells CHEK News an exact date in the Capital Region will be revealed “close to” launch, similar to Kelowna where Uber is also set to start operating in early June.

It was on May 10 when B.C.’s Passenger Transportation Board (PTB) announced it had approved a transportation network services transfer application from ride-hailing service ReRyde to Uber, meaning the company’s flagship service could operate on Vancouver Island.

https://www.cheknews...ervice-1154189/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 May 2023 - 02:05 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#883 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 04:07 AM

The company sent out hundreds of emails Monday to drivers who have expressed interest in driving for Uber.

“Your profile is ready to start earning. All that’s left for you to do is download Uber’s driver’s app,” the messages said.

The email tells drivers they can earn a $1,000 bonus if they take 20 trips within the first two weeks of the launch. It tells them how to set up their payment information, reminds them to have a decal for their front windscreens and says company officials will be in the city June 2 and June 5 to answer questions.

https://www.timescol...xt-week-7067222

#884 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 10:04 AM

Uber is supposed to start operating at noon today:

https://vancouverisl...lowna-1.6427829
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#885 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 11:00 AM

Uber is supposed to start operating at noon today:

https://vancouverisl...lowna-1.6427829

yes, my daughter is catching a flight at noon and Uber is their with a little  podium.

• GaryOak likes this

#886 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 03:23 AM

Uber drivers in Victoria are being kept busy by demand, but customers aren’t faring as well as the service gets off the ground.

Joy Nahirnick, an Uber driver in Victoria, says she estimates there are about six to eight Uber drivers on the road around midday on Tuesday, and demand is far outpacing the number of drivers.

Coming to meet with CHEK News, Nahirnick says she had to decline pick-up requests.

“I had to turn down three calls in the time it took me to cross the bridge and come here,” Nahirnick said.

https://www.cheknews...rivers-1156264/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 June 2023 - 03:23 AM.

#887 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 06:37 AM

^ Amazing that the PTB turned down Uber for so long claiming that there was no demand!

• lanforod likes this

#888 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 07:43 AM

Central planning at its finest.
  • DavidSchell and Victoria Watcher like this

#889 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 07:56 AM

Central planning at its finest.

There aren't enough drivers right now.  That's why they were offering that huge bonus to start.

#890 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:09 AM

There aren't enough drivers right now.  That's why they were offering that huge bonus to start.

It takes time for drivers to be enrolled and for Uber to do its background checks. I haven't checked but in the US Uber also rents/leases vehicles to drivers and that is also the case here that paperwork takes time as well.

I suspect that over the next few weeks things will sort themselves out. 

Edited by spanky123, 14 June 2023 - 08:10 AM.

#891 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:11 AM

Interesting the province would argue that.

Meanwhile, only 23,000 people ride BC Transit in the Capital on a daily basis. That’s less than 6% of the population, but we all pay for it through property taxes/rent, gasoline taxes (that they want to increase now), via income taxes, then the fare to ride the bus. Would the government, looking at those stats, say demand for the service is too low so we should scrap it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#892 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:13 AM

It’ll all work out. In most jurisdictions it seems to find its own balance.

#893 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:18 AM

It takes time for drivers to be enrolled and for Uber to do its background checks. I haven't checked but in the US Uber also rents/leases vehicles to drivers and that is also the case here that paperwork takes time as well.

I suspect that over the next few weeks things will sort themselves out. 

Yes it does...  Less times for those who already are doing Uber Eats....  My first ride was the first day, he had 1,400 rides to his credit but all Eats...

#894 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:24 AM

Interesting the province would argue that.

Meanwhile, only 23,000 people ride BC Transit in the Capital on a daily basis. That’s less than 6% of the population, but we all pay for it through property taxes/rent, gasoline taxes (that they want to increase now), via income taxes, then the fare to ride the bus. Would the government, looking at those stats, say demand for the service is too low so we should scrap it?

Nope, and it wasn't the province arguing that...  Happy to have it...  You are sounding older and crankier by the day.  Pay your share for the public good or I think there are other countries with less taxes, cheaper gas, and smaller fares for buses...   

• GaryOak likes this

#895 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:29 AM

You’re right, the PTB is not the province. Let’s call it the province’s transportation oversight board.

There’s too much share being paid, Ismo. It’s drowning people.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#896 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:49 AM

You’re right, the PTB is not the province. Let’s call it the province’s transportation oversight board.

There’s too much share being paid, Ismo. It’s drowning people.

Yeah changes and choices are ahead for many people, by hook or crook unfortunately.  If only 6% of the local populace is riding the bus, maybe it's too easy and inexpensive to drive still?  What do you want?  Free bus service and $1/litre gas and 5 lanes in and out of Sooke?

Also just call it the PTB...

The Passenger Transportation Board is an independent legal tribunal that licenses and oversees passenger directed transportation in British Columbia. The Board ensures services like taxis, ride hailing, limousines and inter city buses are safe, reliable, affordable and sustainable for the benefit of the public.

Edited by Ismo07, 14 June 2023 - 08:50 AM.

#897 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 09:00 AM

What do you want? Free bus service and $1/litre gas and 5 lanes in and out of Sooke?

Yes, that’s what society wants. 90% of people, anyway.

I know the cost of rent today is a sore spot in our conversations. The rents are high to pay for all the stuff people don’t ask for, but have to pay for. The trickle down effect of higher taxes and fees and is profound. On the one hand we have governments “making life more affordable,” then on the other hand people are drowning in taxes, interest rates and rising cost of living. Ultimately though, most of that ties back to government policies and costs in one way or another.

Know it all.

#898 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 June 2023 - 12:48 PM

I think a bigger factor that is slowing Uber driver sign-ups down is the requirement to have a class 1, 2 or 4 license. That takes longer than Uber's background check probably if you haven't gotten that done.

#899 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 June 2023 - 12:51 PM

Yes it does...  Less times for those who already are doing Uber Eats....  My first ride was the first day, he had 1,400 rides to his credit but all Eats...

Eats drivers don't need a class 1, 2 or 4, I don't think. They are fine with a 5 or 6. Maybe even a 7.

#900 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 01:34 PM

Eats drivers don't need a class 1, 2 or 4, I don't think. They are fine with a 5 or 6. Maybe even a 7.

Yeah seemed to know it was coming though, at least were offered directly to get it early.  I don't think getting a class 4 takes all that long.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users