Uber / Lyft in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
940 replies to this topic

#141 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:50 AM

Current cost of a Cocktail at the new Q Lounge in the Empress Hotel $16 - $29. Cost of a cab ride in a liscenced, insured, legal and supervised inspected human dispatched taxi within environs of City of Victoria, Esqimalt, Oak Bay and Saanich $5 - 10 - $15. Lost and Found, Local Office & Dispatch Help included. Seems fair. There's even apps at the app store.

Cost of a cab ride from downtown to UVic $17(6km), from UVic to the Airport $55 (20km)

Ft Lauderdale airport to Pompano beach (30km) Uber Black, $7.22 initial fee and $.44 per minute, x 30 minutes = $25 and thats the luxury ride in a full size Tahoe or Escelade. No cash transaction, mapped, driver photo and vehicle make model and registration forwarded in advance...driver actually gets out the car and helps with luggage....and complimentary bottled water ....

• jonny and shoeflack like this

#142 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:03 AM

New Times Colonist Publisher

What does that mean, in terms of your username?   Are you a Times Colonist employee?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#143 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

Current cost of a Cocktail at the new Q Lounge in the Empress Hotel $16 - $29. Cost of a cab ride in a liscenced, insured, legal and supervised inspected human dispatched taxi within environs of City of Victoria, Esqimalt, Oak Bay and Saanich $5 - 10 - $15. Lost and Found, Local Office & Dispatch Help included. Seems fair. There's even apps at the app store.

See this is the kind of attitude that is old and tiring. "Look, we even have apps!".

That's the wrong way to go about it. Apps are great, but where are all the other things that are making Uber stand out?

Standard live tracking for every call. No shows are a problem with taxis sometimes.

Electronic destination entering - how often have you had to repeat and describe where you are going to a cabbie? Ride hailing apps deal with that - cab apps could deal with that, but hailing off the street needs a solution for that.

Driver information shown in app. 

Cost competition. 

Driver ratings - incentive for drivers to be pleasant and actually focus on customer service. Driver's don't see their rating from clients until they put a client rating in.

Client ratings - incentive for clients to behave as well. Client's don't see their rating for drivers until they put a driver rating in.

Clean cars - inspected once a year isn't good enough - that's just for mechanical issues. Cars should be cleaned inside and out - probably spot clean and dustbuster every day quickly, and a full vacuum, wipe and car wash once a week at minimum.

Tipping - Uber specifically tells clients there is no need to tip; cabbies get prickly if they are not tipped. Lyft allows tipping, but not mandatory.

Speed - many studies have been done on this. Ride-sharing companies are faster - primarily because pickup is considerably faster. The exception is likely going from the airport to someone, just because there is a line of cabs waiting.

Premium option - UberBlack is simple to get instead of a standard Uber; much more competitive than other 'limo' or 'towncar' type services.

There are other issues with cabs here such as the old 'credit card machine isn't working' crap; which isn't an issue with Uber, as your CC is in the app already.

Uber/Lyft have their own issues, which can be addressed by proper provincial regulation (which should have been done years ago!)

Safety - eg. Uber is known for doing their best to shift responsibility off them and onto the passengers and drivers.

Accessibility - little/no access to wheelchair accessibility, for example.

• jonny likes this

#144 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:47 AM

It doesn't matter if taxis "seem fair" in your opinion. The point is, let the people decide what's fair! Over regulation sucks! Ride sharing is currently illegal in BC, which is insane! Why should ride sharing be banned? It's not like it's a highly potent synthetic opioid responsible for the death and suffering of thousands or anything like that...

• tjv likes this

#145 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:02 AM

I had a conversation with a lawyer in the US about legal liabilities of cabs in the US.  I was shocked to hear taxis really don't carry much in the way of insurance if you get hurt in an accident.  My response was I didn't hail the individual cab, I hailed or called say Yellow Cab as an example so my contract is with them.  His reply was basically good luck with that.  A little shocking and I have to assume its the same way in Canada?

It would be interesting to know because accidents do happen, some serious, some not so serious

• jonny and lanforod like this

#146 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

It's what you get Little Marko, it's all you deserve. As the proprietors say it's hotel motel time folks, we'be got your money now get the f. out.

The downtown is ours, you want to come down here at night and show your girlfriend what a stud you are youdont take her on the bus you call us, and pay us, with a nice tip also. Then we will call you Sir and she will return your calls.

It's a street job we look after you, then take your money, just like the bars.

Don't need to. We'be got the liscence and the permits. You don't want to look after your own people want to show off in some black car device your not willing to pay for. Who cares genius, you don't even know what a chiefs permit is. Another 22 years old expert. Take the bus. Adults take taxi's. And appreciate them. Adults understand how things work.

You want to know about ratings? OK. Everyone who works downtown hates you. The cops, the bus drivers, the Cabbies, the bar tenders, the waitresses, the bouncers, the hotdog cart guys, the 7/12 guys, the drug dealers, the gang bangers, the homeless. It's all a best friends lie. But we are professionals and we play nice and polite and friendly because you pay our rent. So we Don't rate you. Uber is some weird middle class delusion, an attempt to avoid direct contact with working people. Us. I believe the government will protect us. From you. Pay your taxes and tip your cabbie in his rattley prius with puke stains on the floor carpets. Life isn't pretty some time kid. It's full of all kinds of disappoinments. Like ending up driving a cab for an old guy living.

Hey, if you're an Uber troll running a false flag operation, you should be more subtle. (If you're an actual cab driver, you should find a new line of work.)

• lanforod and Cassidy like this

#147 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

I had a conversation with a lawyer in the US about legal liabilities of cabs in the US.  I was shocked to hear taxis really don't carry much in the way of insurance if you get hurt in an accident.  My response was I didn't hail the individual cab, I hailed or called say Yellow Cab as an example so my contract is with them.  His reply was basically good luck with that.  A little shocking and I have to assume its the same way in Canada?

It would be interesting to know because accidents do happen, some serious, some not so serious

But in that case, what's the difference between you jumping in the truck with your buddy Jim on the way to the lake, and he crashes, or your cab driver crashes on the way home from the bar?  You are the passenger in both, and not at all to blame.  We have legal remedies for both, and they usually involve the insurance company.  If you are a .01%er, and stand to lose $100M in future earnings if you are seriously injured, don't get in the car if you are unsure of the level of insurance.  Or your own level of insurance.

Again, this all goes back to what I've been saying for years, there is only a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of difference between your neighbour, a co-worker, a friend, sister or - God forbid, a "stranger" -  driving you to school, or you using Lyft.  But the government is making it out like it's huge.  It's not like your neighbour is picking you up in a sophisticated jet plane.  He's just driving a gold ol' car, that more than 50% of us do, and most of us do competently and legally.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 January 2018 - 09:54 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#148 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:47 AM

except cabs hide behind shell corporations with likely the only asset being now a smashed up cab.  "Jim" may or may not have assets, but anything he has is now mine.  If "Jim" was drunk I am not sure how that legally works, they could deny the claim all together arguing that I new he was drunk since we came out of a bar together, and you have little chance of winning that in court

"they usually involve the insurance company" - I said in the US they don't carry much in the way of insurance.  whats the legal minimum here?  200k?  ya, that won't go very far and I have known people who are waiting 10 years to finalize with ICBC.  Even for a small claim I had with them for around 10k for boldily injury a long time ago took a year if I remember right.

#149 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:26 PM

I always carry the uninsured motorist protection on my insurance, so basically you are suing yourself(your insurance co.) to get whole.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#150 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

I would never not have uninsured motorist coverage.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#151 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

It's called underinsured motorist protection.  By law, you have uninsured protection up to $200,000 automatically.

#152 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

^I drive a lot in the southern USA, trust me, it is uninsured motorist protection.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#153 mike1981

mike1981
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

Took some taxis in Vancouver over the weekend, and good Lord, what nasty, filthy, stinky, awful vehicles they were. I'm admittedly a pretty clean guy, but all of those cabs were just disgusting. Public transit is literally 100 times cleaner than those cabs. Do our provincial politicians just take private limos or something, because our taxi industry is not work protecting. 

That's not what I have experienced in taxi's in Vancouver, Victoria or elsewhere in the province. Judgement and maturity may factor though.

#154 mike1981

mike1981
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

See this is the kind of attitude that is old and tiring. "Look, we even have apps!".

That's the wrong way to go about it. Apps are great, but where are all the other things that are making Uber stand out?

Standard live tracking for every call. No shows are a problem with taxis sometimes.

Electronic destination entering - how often have you had to repeat and describe where you are going to a cabbie? Ride hailing apps deal with that - cab apps could deal with that, but hailing off the street needs a solution for that.

Live tracking - Your supposed to be getting ready not playing with your phone, the ladies understand this point.

Electronic destination - Why bother going out if your don't want to talk to anyone just stay in your electronic trance? Silly point.

Competition - You may be onto something here but we could expand it to bars and restaurants -  have them compete with bar sharing restarants that dont get their stocks from LCB, dont collect GST or Sales taxes, dont pay minimum wage or collect WCB CPP etc.Maybe they could even locate their bars and restaurants in their own homes, think of the zoning and reno savings there.

#155 mike1981

mike1981
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:56 PM

Naked Capitalism - 

Can Uber Ever Deliver? Part One – Understanding Uber’s Bleak Operating Economics

November 30, 2016

Yves here. By virtue of steamrolling local taxi operations in cities all over the world, combined with cultivating cheerleaders in the business press and among Silicon Valley libertarians, Uber has managed to create an image of inevitability and invincibility. How much is hype and how much is real?

Tellingly, earlier this month, Bloomberg reported that JP Morgan and Deutsche Bank turned down the “opportunity” to sell Uber shares to high-net-worth individuals. The reason? The taxi ride company provided 290 pages of verbiage, but would not provide its net income or even annual revenues.

Uber is currently the most highly valued private company in the world. Its primarily Silicon Valley-based investors have a achieved a venture capital valuation of $69 billion based on direct investment of over $13 billion. Uber hopes to earn billions in returns for those investors out of an urban car service industry that historically had razor-thin margins producing a commodity product. Although the industry has been competitively fragmented and structurally stable for over a century, Uber has been aggressively pursuing global industry dominance, in the belief that the industry has been radically transformed into a “winner-take-all” market.

Article Continues

https://www.nakedcap...-economics.html

#156 mike1981

mike1981
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:14 PM

New Zealand Herald

Uber a 'Ponzi scheme' says investor
25 May, 2017

Uber has been described as a "Ponzi scheme" that has a "99 per cent chance" of collapsing by one veteran investor.

Speaking to Fairfax Media at a financial conference in Sydney, Magellan Financial Group chief executive Hamish Douglass slammed the ride-sharing giant as "one of the stupidest businesses in history".

"The probability of this business not going bankrupt in a decade is like 1 per cent," Mr Magellan said, describing the company's high-cost, owner-driver model as almost "valueless".

The Ponzi scheme allegation was in reference to the company's strategy of continually raising capital from investors. "It's constantly losing money and its capital-raising strategy is a Ponzi scheme," he said

Article Continues

http://www.nzherald....jectid=11863228

#157 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

Uber stated today that they expect to have driverless cars servicing Phoenix next year.

#158 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

B.C. cracks down on illegal ride hailing

Drivers fined for operating without insurance, background checks

The B.C. government has identified at least seven services operating illegal ride-hailing in B.C., issuing more than 20 cease-and-desist orders and applying fines to drivers operating without licence and insurance.

B.C.’s Passenger Transportation Branch has assessed 23 fines of $1,150 to drivers so far, and it is continuing to investigate, the transportation ministry announced Monday.

“Several companies operating under the names Longmao, Udi Kuaiche, U Drop, RaccoonGo, GoKabu, Dingdang Carpool and AO Rideshare have developed ride-sourcing apps,” the ministry said in a statement. “These companies have been recruiting drivers to operate their personal vehicles as commercial passenger-directed vehicles on the Lower Mainland.”

#159 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:23 AM

DingDang? lol

#160 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

A woman in Tempe, Ariz., died after being hit by a self-driving car operated by Uber, in what appears to be the first known death of a pedestrian struck by an autonomous vehicle on public roads.

https://www.nytimes....times&smtyp=cur

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users