UNDER CONSTRUCTION
TELUS Ocean
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 767 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
The Apex Site property on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street in downtown Victoria, also known as the 'Budget Lo... (view full profile)
Learn more about TELUS Ocean on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] TELUS Ocean - Apex Site | TELUS and Aryze Developments

• Please log in to reply
829 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

The City-owned Apex site (also known as the Budget Lot) on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street had six contenders that recently submitted development bids/proposals to the City of Victoria. The bidding process (RFEI 17-054) closed on May 27th.

Word on the street is one of the six bids was suddenly chosen by the City, despite the assumption being that the proposals would be publicly vetted to some degree.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

...Word on the street is one of the six bids was suddenly chosen by the City, despite the assumption being that the proposals would be publicly vetted to some degree.

I sometimes think the less public involvement the better - assuming the successful bid was not disproportionately expensive.

• DavidSchell likes this

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

The winning bidder will purchase the land from the City of Victoria, so the actual cost of the proposal is not an issue for tax payers (one can hope).

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

Has the winning bidder been identified?

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:53 PM

We've got a pretty good idea of who it is, but nothing has been released by the city.

Know it all.

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

We've got a pretty good idea of who it is, but nothing has been released by the city.

Any sense that it will be a worthwhile proposal for such a high profile site?

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

Oh yeah, this one will be pretty good. 

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:19 PM

My greatest hope is that any proposal takes advantage of the lot's unique shape.

apex.JPG

#9 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:45 PM

Do the car rental companies have alternate sites lined up?

#10 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

i've never been able to think of anything other than this for that spot, maybe a bit taller
http://www.archdaily...building-dsdha/

Edited by amor de cosmos, 31 August 2017 - 09:04 PM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

i've never been able to think of anything other than this for that spot...

This would compliment the Empress

3573869382_807545600d_b.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:09 PM

In context

Apex2.JPG

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:16 AM

Sure glad we have wiser minds out there.

#14 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

Yeah, I don't think the Flatiron building fits that well there. Works well in NYC because its got those 'canyon's behind it.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

...I don't think the Flatiron building fits that well there. Works well in NYC because its got those 'canyon's behind it.

The Flatiron building is probably too tall for this location (even the truncated version I posted above), but something with similar details and shape would be great.

• tedward likes this

#16 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

Design-competition-for-Douglas-Street-property-draws-six-entrants-telus-City-mum-on-alleged-winner.jpg

An artist's rendering of one of six bids submitted to the City of Victoria as part of a design and concept competition for the high-profile Apex Site on Douglas Street (at Humboldt Street and Fairfield Road next to Crystal Gardens). Although the depicted design was not selected as the winner, the City of Victoria has reportedly settled on one entry.

Design comp for property next to Crystal Gardens draws six entrants; City mum on alleged winner

http://victoria.citi...alleged-winner/

The City of Victoria has reportedly chosen a winning bid for the redevelopment of a City-owned parcel of land known as the Apex Site, according to sources familiar with the bidding process.

A triangular lot at the nexus of Douglas Street, Humboldt Street and Fairfield Road behind the Victoria Conference Centre, the Apex Site was recently the focus of a Request for Expressions of Interest (RFEI) to seek architectural and usage concepts from real-estate developers.

The City’s RFEI process was intended to yield several finalists that would subsequently be invited to submit formal Requests of Proposals or, under the City’s discretion, a single proponent could be selected as “preferable based on the City’s Evaluation Criteria.”

And it was the latter option, according to sources, that City Hall decided to pursue following the receipt of six bids. [Full article]

• 2F2R likes this
Know it all.

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

I imagine something short with red brick was chosen. I wonder if it even takes advantage of the triangular-shaped lot?

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:20 AM

But did you read the last paragraphs?

"While the City may be mum on the winning bid and its design attributes, Victoria’s development rumour mill has entertained the idea that the winning proposal is that of Telus Corporation, which, as reported by Citified in April, has been actively searching for a downtown Victoria development site or a partnership opportunity to occupy a newly-built south Island headquarters.

Telus’ requirements, according to firms that were approached by the organization, were to situate its new offices in an avant-garde building or commercial podium that would be recognized as a Victoria landmark and be visible from arriving float planes.

The Apex Site, if indeed now in the hands of Telus, would certainly fit that bill."
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.

#19 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:24 AM

That rendering certainly strikes me as a Telus building. They've been building some great stuff lately. 

• jonny likes this

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:26 AM

That rendering certainly strikes me as a Telus building. They've been building some great stuff lately. 

"the depicted design was not selected as the winner"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users