UNDER CONSTRUCTION
TELUS Ocean
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 767 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
The Apex Site property on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street in downtown Victoria, also known as the 'Budget Lo... (view full profile)
Learn more about TELUS Ocean on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] TELUS Ocean - Apex Site | TELUS and Aryze Developments

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#201 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:19 AM

I would think this is a new initiative, and TELUS will be jumping on board as the corporate sponsor/advocate for UVic's ocean sciences pursuits. I wouldn't be surprised if the first corporate naming of a university building will involve TELUS.

WIth COVID slashing revenues, UVic would gladly welcome a few million bucks to rename the ocean sciences building.

Anything is possible but again I ask what does Telus have to do with the ocean? Telus has had 250 people in Victoria for years

#202 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:28 AM

This is what I'm thinking, that it would appear that they're going to partner with UVic on creating technology for their ocean sciences research.

TELUS is already a huge player in the healthcare industry, and research/scientific pursuits in other industries seem like a natural progression.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#203 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:32 AM

Anything is possible but again I ask what does Telus have to do with the ocean? Telus has had 250 people in Victoria for years

Telus isn't the only tenant. I doubt the City would select Telus if all that was proposed was a consolidated head office, so there are likely a host of other things going into the building to support the City's economic plan. Helps said this proposal scored the highest of the six submission received.

From the TC article: "In addition to being a regional headquarters, the new building will house a Telus innovation centre that will showcase its latest technologies and be a place for brainstorming, Dutchak said... Telus will occupy a significant portion of the building, with the remainder dedicated to commercial, retail, restaurants, events and gatherings, the city said."

#204 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:34 AM

I would posit that the City's economic plan is based off of what TELUS proposed, not what the City wanted. Don't forget this has been in the works for several years.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#205 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:41 AM

I would posit that the City's economic plan is based off of what TELUS proposed, not what the City wanted. Don't forget this has been in the works for several years.

I dunno, the ocean science and innovation cluster goes as far back as the 2011-2012 economic development strategy, at the very least. It doesn't have the capitalized name as it does in the new Victoria 3.0 plan, but it's still there! The city even calls it "an obvious yet untapped opportunity."

#206 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:41 AM

Does anyone know if the current Telus office building next to The Atrium on Yates is fully occupied by Telus or if there are other tenants? Man I would love to see that one redeveloped. 

#207 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:42 AM

I dunno, the ocean science and innovation cluster goes as far back as the 2011-2012 economic development strategy, at the very least. It doesn't have the capitalized name as it does in the new Victoria 3.0 plan, but it's still there! The city even calls it "an obvious yet untapped opportunity."

That's what I mean. The City finally connected the dots when TELUS arrived and moved on the opportunity.

Sometimes you need a hub, which the technology innovation centre could be, to make it all make sense.

Edited by Mike K., 04 June 2020 - 08:44 AM.

Know it all.

#208 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:43 AM

That's what I mean. The City finally connected the dots when TELUS arrived.

Here is a link to OCN's industry partners. Telus is not listed but Shaw is.

https://www.oceannet...stry-directory?

#209 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:16 AM

Shaw has that ocean discovery centre in Sidney so they would be, for sure.

Know it all.

#210 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:38 AM

...I doubt the City would select Telus if all that was proposed was a consolidated head office...Helps said this proposal scored the highest of the six submission received...

And I should take anything Her Worseship says at face value - why?

#211 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:59 AM

Love Bob Beaumont’s grandma!

Wish I was as optimistic as you Mike, but this a small office (250 people), ten floors, and a local firm that is only known for creating small bunker style infill housing. If they can come up with a stunning design that doesn’t turn it’s back on the street - drinks are on me.

I’m not seeing this as a vote of confidence in Victoria by Telus, instead a necessary update to their existing office setup in Victoria. Telus Sky hired superstar architecture firm Bjarke Ingels Group, and no doubt paid millions for their service. No one was expecting a starchitect for Victoria - but a small local firm with no track record in designing signature office buildings? It boggles the mind, and is a bit insulting to the city.

BUT, I’d love to be proven wrong.. and hey, Francis Rattenbury was a bit of an unknown local too right..? That being said, it’ll be hard to beat the rejected design on page 1 of this thread.

bunker style infill, thats new one :)

We are leading the creative direction for the project and as has been stated previously, Telus is not a developer, they partner for things outside their wheelhouse so we are working together to bring forward something significant. The architecture firm is not local, they are a world class firm and I don't think you'll find the design boring. You'd better warm up your wallet as you are buying drinks soon.

• Mike K., Hotel Mike and Victoria Watcher like this

#212 threePs

threePs
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:48 PM

Didnt UVic buy the Sisters of St. Ann's site on Arbutus for their "Queenswood Campus" to house ONC? I believe they're still doing renos and upgrades. Apart from this site they also operate out in N. Saanich by the airport. Am I missing another location?

#213 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:13 PM

We are leading the creative direction for the project and as has been stated previously, Telus is not a developer, they partner for things outside their wheelhouse so we are working together to bring forward something significant. The architecture firm is not local, they are a world class firm and I don't think you'll find the design boring. You'd better warm up your wallet as you are buying drinks soon.

For those not in the know, Telus partnered with Westbank for both the Vancouver and Calgary developments. Telus Garden was designed by Henriquez Partners Architects, and Telus Sky was designed by Bjarke Ingles Group.

• Kapten Kapsell and Victoria Watcher like this

#214 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:48 PM

Didnt UVic buy the Sisters of St. Ann's site on Arbutus for their "Queenswood Campus" to house ONC? I believe they're still doing renos and upgrades. Apart from this site they also operate out in N. Saanich by the airport. Am I missing another location?

If you look at the ONC annual report it looks like they have slowly been winding down. They had one employee this past year with the others being funded by another project. The report claims that a contract they had in Vancouver was terminated after they had a premature failure. 

#215 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:52 PM

Hey, I'll be more than happy to open up the wallet, starting to save my nickels now just in case!  ;)  Help me out here - I don't understand 'leading the creative direction' - doesn't a world class firm have a slew of people to do that, and wouldn't they want full control over that process?  Or is Azyre's role to do all the local legwork, interpret the local context and expectations and feed that back to the architectural firm who will have leeway in presenting a few options?  Will the design be better than one of the losers on page 1 of this thread?  Will the building meet the street in a inviting manner or will it be cold and sterile.. like the bottom of an ocean?  ;)

post-4001-0-71661600-1505227266.jpg

Good luck PPPdev - don't let the city down!  :)

#216 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:01 PM

Too bad the Bjarke Ingles Group isn't doing this one here in Victoria.

They're literally ripping it up all over the world with amazing and brilliant work.

• threePs likes this

#217 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:59 PM

Anyhow, this is an amazing gift for a city our size. It’s big-league stuff to have a project of this caliber destined for a small city, and from what I’m hearing the design will be quite something.

We’ve known this was in the works for several years, but to have it confirmed during our initial COVID recovery phase is a huge, and I do mean huge, boost of confidence for investors who will be looking to safe havens where they can park their capital, and TELUS just shined a light on US!

Thank you, TELUS, Aryze and CoV. Politics firmly aside, this is game changing for Victoria and I trust there won’t be too many obstacles for this project to receive the green light and dirt to start moving.

Mike, you have me positively excited with these words. Inspiring stuff!
  • Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#218 lotusland

lotusland
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 12:21 AM

Will CoV not approve a taller building on this site?

#219 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,875 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:22 AM

Mike, you have me positively excited with these words. Inspiring stuff!

property values in the area will skyrocket. elsewhere they’ll plummet and crater.

#220 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:39 AM

Will CoV not approve a taller building on this site?

Depends how far they want to stray from the Downtown Core Area Plan, which has the tallest buildings on Blanshard between Herald and View (see the Hudson District) with building height sloping to the water and the legislature. The height of the Telus Ocean building will be very much affected by the relationship with the Empress. I expect to see a lot of perspective drawings from the inner harbour and Songhees for this project.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users