UNDER CONSTRUCTION
TELUS Ocean
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 767 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
The Apex Site property on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street in downtown Victoria, also known as the 'Budget Lo... (view full profile)
Learn more about TELUS Ocean on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] TELUS Ocean - Apex Site | TELUS and Aryze Developments

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#281 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:02 PM

I'm interested to know what Madoff thinks of this...

I'm not. She had 25 years of influence on the architectural vernacular of this city...and I think that legacy speaks for itself.
  • Mattjvd likes this

#282 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:21 AM

The proposal confirms that Telus isn't actually increasing its footprint in Victoria at 250 employees but rather consolidating the staff that it has into a single location. No issues with that but I wonder who they think the other 6 floors of class A office space is going to be leased to? The proposal states the tech industry although we know that 60% of local tech companies claim they are planning to give up their existing office space. In addition, the Mayor has her own plans for a tech cluster in Rock Bay 

#283 aguywholovesarchitecture

aguywholovesarchitecture
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:10 AM

I think this looks great...massing reminds me of contemporary northern European projects with quite an interesting geometry ...the sawtooth window pattern should add lots of texture to the facade

what will make or break it is the quality of the materials and detailing

#284 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:32 AM

...it's not bad but it seems generic, like it has nothing to do with its context.

I was thinking about this afterward and I feel like I should make a clarification. The atypical footprint of the building would seem to be a specific response to the shape of the lot itself, so I'll give them a point for that. I was referring more to the building's overall design and presence, the look-and-feel of it.

#285 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:41 AM

It's tough because you're right up against these amazing Rattenbury designs and the first instinct, and one that has proven to be a mistake over time is to respond to that architecturally. In the past that has taken the form of green metal roofs, little hats and other superficial design cues. But as I've said before, it has more to do with the quality and attention to detail than any specific design inspiration. 

• Nparker likes this

#286 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:48 AM

Okay, I'll give them an additional point for not putting a goofy roof on it.

I still think they could re-do the roof and other details on the conference centre to make it look finer & classier and more like a sharpened version of itself, as versus looking like a cheap imitation of the things around it.

• Rob Randall likes this

#287 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:58 PM

Methinks it would be a better fit at Douglas & Caledonia or on Blanshard between Pandora and Cormorant.

Dude! (me) It would be a great fit on the Uptown corner. Somebody make it happen.

#288 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:58 AM

The developer has filed for rezoning and development permit in Dev Tracker...

#289 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,289 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:09 AM

10-storey TELUS Ocean concept revealed as "alluring lantern" for Douglas at Humboldt

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#290 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:31 AM

That's sure a lot of tables and chairs outdoors there on the corner.

#291 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:51 AM

From the Citified article:

"Further to its rationalization for the tower’s architectural concept, the proponents describe TELUS Ocean as creating a “uniform and unimposing backdrop to highlight [The Empress Hotel], while also referencing [the hotel’s] roofline as seen from the water.”

Hmm.. I referenced that in a comment above - that's the exact problem!!  It IS uniform and unimposing.  It should either be invisible from the water or clearly visible, an 'alluring lantern' if you will  that 'punches' above the Empress and shines a 'glorious light' on the wonder that lays below.   But no.. some random glass block of glass that it just visible.. it distracts and worse yet.. is just boring.  Who knows, maybe this building will actually turn out better than the renders, but compared to Telus buildings in other cities this is a token and feeble effort.  It's like we have the Empress and the Parliament Buildings, so everyone else for yet another century might as well give up and go home.  

Warming up my typewriter to send the letters to city council - even if this one is in the bag with Lisa's support and the subservient design. 

#292 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:48 AM

...uniform and unimposing backdrop to highlight [The Empress Hotel], while also referencing [the hotel’s] roofline as seen from the water...

Why are there several buildings sticking up behind the Empress? That looks stupid. Obviously there should be only one building sticking up behind the Empress.

I'm being a snarky jerk but methinks that's the idea. They think they can tidy up the view somewhat, and thus emphasize the Empress Hotel (many people don't even notice it) by putting one singular building behind the Empress Hotel's roofline. Who knows, it might work. But I'd say it's very risky, a terrific example of putting all your eggs in one basket. Victoria's cityscape is all about the clutter of buildings of many different shapes, sizes, and vintages, the layers, and the lack of tidy uniformity.

This is one of the reasons why the Songhees was so lame for so long. But some of the more recent buildings in both foreground and background have diminished that one-note overplanned blandness and made the whole thing seem more layered and flavourful.

#293 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:09 AM

Who knows, it might work.

From certain angles.

#294 kungfucious

kungfucious
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:57 AM

...uniform and unimposing backdrop to highlight [The Empress Hotel], while also referencing [the hotel’s] roofline as seen from the water...

hey aastra:

who did you pull that quote from? 

cause its the biggest load of crap ive heard in a long time. 

- something unimposing means it is subtle and and indistinguishable

- something highlighting means drawing attention to...

i HATE how the modern world is always just so meh when somebody with a marketing degree tries to sell us something and we line-up like idiots to buy it. 

glass & concrete look great, and they age well, and im even ok with the upper 1/2 of the design, but anything except this still looks out of place in a city known for its 'olde world charm' (pg1, post 11)

post-96-0-35470000-1504226888.jpg

fwiw...  if you want to go modern, this rejected choice looks way better that what the final rendering will be.  any structure looks better set on a podium.

post-4001-0-71661600-1505227266.jpg

• Hotel Mike likes this

#295 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:38 AM

I'm just throwing them a bone but I think they mean they can emphasize the roofline of the Empress Hotel by introducing a relatively uncluttered and singular backdrop.

But like I say (and demonstrate in pictures), Victoria's cityscape is all about texture and variety and a visual busyness. It's never been about one thing to the exclusion of all other things. For many years I've complained about the misguided effort to tidy up or streamline, or whatever we want to call it. The architectural variety in Victoria is what distinguishes it from other cities in the same size range. No one era dominates, no one format dominates.

• Brantastic likes this

#296 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:09 AM

^I think that's we we were open to the idea of the Admirals Inn pyramid as a more suitable response to Rattenbury than say, the Hotel Grand Pacific. 

I once read about contemporary Spanish painters and how every modern Spanish artist at some point has to deal with Picasso. It's the same here. Every architect here at some point has to deal with Rattenbury. You can't evade him, you have to confront him head on.

Edited by Rob Randall, 06 August 2020 - 11:10 AM.

#297 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:29 AM

I think we've talked about this idea of architectural backdrops before, with relation to Orchard House as the backdrop for the legislative dome from some angles. The design of Orchard House makes for a not-very-pleasing backdrop, but what if it were a modern block of clean glass curtainwall?

I don't know, I flip-flop on this. My preference is to keep adding new pieces rather than try to clean up or simplify the pieces that already exist.

#298 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:33 AM

You know what I mean? If we're thinking one building will serve as the backdrop for one other building then we're intentionally restricting the number of layers.

But then again, this apex site is the only site left to redevelop in the area directly behind the Empress.

#299 m3m

m3m
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:30 PM

I received the minutes of the Humboldt Valley Committee's community meeting about this development.  Some interesting insights into some of the features.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

#300 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:36 PM

"So, let me canvass you about that; we thought that there is currently no place for public sporting event celebrations in Victoria.  The plaza could be that spot; do you like that idea? Clap or boo!

[[Boos from the audience]]"

^Could there be a more perfect example of Victorians 

• grantpalin and m3m like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users