UNDER CONSTRUCTION
TELUS Ocean
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 767 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
The Apex Site property on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street in downtown Victoria, also known as the 'Budget Lo... (view full profile)
Learn more about TELUS Ocean on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] TELUS Ocean - Apex Site | TELUS and Aryze Developments

• Please log in to reply
829 replies to this topic

#141 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:06 PM

Interesting. So we've got Telus Garden (Vancouver), Telus Sky (Calgary), and now Telus Ocean (Victoria).

#142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,159 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:08 PM

Which leaves ...fire?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#143 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:13 PM

Which leaves ...fire?

I mean the next logical regional office is in either Winnipeg or Saskatoon, and a "prairie fire" is a thing, so...

• Mike K. and Kapten Kapsell like this

#144 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:14 PM

Wow! Big news switching from Jawl Properties to Aryze. Did not see that coming. 

Regardless, exciting times for this site. I'm sure Aryze will come up with something thoughtful and great. 

I had heard that the Jawls were out but did not know that it was Aryze that stepped in. Sounds like a good opportunity to showcase talents.

#145 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,297 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:17 PM

any downtown private sector building then. of course the government screws stuff up.

#146 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:21 PM

I am sure that Aryze and Telus will do a good job. I would be a little concerned that council might try to add a couple of stories of affordable housing but otherwise they will push this through for Telus.

Word on the street is that the City is going to invest in redeveloping Crystal Garden so that it can be used for amenities for Telus which would make the deal even sweeter for them.

#147 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:36 PM

The Telus Crystal Garden sounds fine to me.

#148 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:37 PM

I am sure that Aryze and Telus will do a good job. I would be a little concerned that council might try to add a couple of stories of affordable housing but otherwise they will push this through for Telus.

Word on the street is that the City is going to invest in redeveloping Crystal Garden so that it can be used for amenities for Telus which would make the deal even sweeter for them.

We are still working on project details but I can confirm that there is no residential component contemplated for the project.

• Nparker, Victoria Watcher and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#149 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:41 PM

...So we've got Telus Garden (Vancouver), Telus Sky (Calgary), and now Telus Ocean (Victoria).

Which leaves ...fire?

"Telus Fire" aught to be a good name if they decide to brand some housing for the homeless.

• GaryRanson likes this

#150 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:23 PM

We are still working on project details but I can confirm that there is no residential component contemplated for the project.

great news! 

will be interested to see how Aryze does with this project - used to seeing your guys name on non-traditional residential builds!

#151 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:27 PM

Congrats to Aryze for their role in this development. 

• Nparker likes this

#152 Windwisher

Windwisher
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 03:25 PM

Any word or rumours out there on the number of storeys?  I believe that Vancouver is 54 floors and Calgary is 60.  However, both of those buildings are in taller cities and have a residential component.  I suspect that if it is going to be an iconic building, Telus would want some height for visibility?

#153 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:20 PM

Mel Cooper was on the news tonight flogging this project. He's on the Telus board. Recall he's the guy that thought his BC Experience Exhibit in the Crystal Garden was the bee's knees. Lisa Helps vowed it wouldn't be a box. Nine to ten storeys.

I do wonder if Aryze inherited Jawl's preliminary ideas or if they're starting with a blank sheet of paper. 

#154 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,159 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:10 AM

250 employees, so we’re talking half of the volume of workers that are in the BCIMC Tower at 750 Pandora. 10-storeys sounds about right, but we really don’t know.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#155 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:35 AM

250 employees, so we’re talking half of the volume of workers that are in the BCIMC Tower at 750 Pandora. 10-storeys sounds about right, but we really don’t know.

I think the real variable for most companies right now is how many employees want to/will come back to the office. I was doing deliveries at a couple of office buildings downtown yesterday and there were only a handful of employees in buildings that would normally house 200-300. 

#156 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:39 AM

i think that's the great unknown still.  it does really go to show you though that we still went to the office because well that's the way we've done it for 150 years.  so even as office proximity to other office workers or equipment became less necessary not all offices disbanded.  but then when they had to, they found out it was pretty simple.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 June 2020 - 06:39 AM.

#157 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:44 AM

i think that's the great unknown still.  it does really go to show you though that we still went to the office because well that's the way we've done it for 150 years.  so even as office proximity to other office workers or equipment became less necessary not all offices disbanded.  but then when they had to, they found out it was pretty simple.

I have been told that about 25% of tech offices in Victoria have vacated. Whether that is because they have decided that working from home is the new path forward or they are shutting down I don't know. I also know that the employees of several national services firms have been told that they will be working from home until at least the end of the year. 

Downtown recovery is going to be slow and uneven. Those businesses catering to the office crowd will likely struggle while those who have more of a residential base may do ok if they can get people out of their condos and apartments to shop.

#158 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,159 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:49 AM

Transportation is one of the biggest factor for those who want to return to work, or have been asked to. Buses are running at a fraction of their capacities. How come nobody is addressing this issue?

Know it all.

#159 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:52 AM

Transportation is one of the biggest factor for those who want to return to work, or have been asked to. Buses are running at a fraction of their capacities. How come nobody is addressing this issue?

what should we do?  make people take buses?   they are either choosing not to take them or they are not needing transportation.  or both i suspect.

#160 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,159 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:06 AM

People can’t take buses because they’re full.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users