UNDER CONSTRUCTION
TELUS Ocean
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 767 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
The Apex Site property on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street in downtown Victoria, also known as the 'Budget Lo... (view full profile)
Learn more about TELUS Ocean on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] TELUS Ocean - Apex Site | TELUS and Aryze Developments

• Please log in to reply
829 replies to this topic

#741 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 01:56 PM

I would counter that and posit that Victoria's built form punches well, well above where most cities our size do. We just might have one of the most architecturally diverse and architecturally significant small cities on the continent, thanks to the spillover from Vancouver setting a high bar and the overall calibre of west coast design.

We shouldn't sell ourselves short like this. We have a lot to offer, and the Telus tower far more a product of this city than we may want to give it credit for.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#742 intheknow

intheknow
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 02:04 PM

I would counter that and posit that Victoria's built form punches well, well above where most cities our size do. We just might have one of the most architecturally diverse and architecturally significant small cities on the continent, thanks to the spillover from Vancouver setting a high bar and the overall calibre of west coast design.

We shouldn't sell ourselves short like this. We have a lot to offer, and the Telus tower far more a product of this city than we may want to give it credit for.

You gotta get out more. 

#743 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 05:03 PM

I fear that this is what we'd end up with if we listened to these nimby neighbours... 

Attached Images

• unnamedCapture.JPG

• Mike K., aastra and Hotel Mike like this

#744 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 05:13 PM

You gotta get out more.

If you only knew what I did in my previous life :)
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#745 REO-eh!

REO-eh!
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 10:00 PM

I fear that this is what we'd end up with if we listened to these nimby neighbours... 

You are so wrong! Don't be afraid because these nimby neighbours would not stand for what you ignorantly think they want.

But since you bring up residential development as an alternative, a distinctive architectural building meeting exiting OCP and zoning guidelines could  house about 250 residents. And those 250 permanent residents would probably spend more money at downtown business than the proposed 500 daytime employees in the Telus Ocean building. There's more to this than just building size and shape.

#746 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 10:17 PM

Those 250 permanent residents would probably spend more money at downtown business than the proposed 500 daytime employees in the Telus Ocean building. There's more to this than just building size and shape.

Agreed.  According to Statscan, Victoria has an unexpected exodus of citizens.  The Telus building will have no problem building 10 stories in Langford, probably more.  It is more likely to draw from a local population there, especially given growth patterns.  For those that have to commute, they wouldn't be competing with inbound Victoria traffic or the full buses we currently have.

Edited by On the Level, 15 December 2021 - 10:17 PM.

#747 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:45 AM

That’s just Telus employees. There will be additional space for lease in the tower.

Big day today! Council is set to start its deliberations in 15 minutes.

Know it all.

#748 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:57 AM

Good luck finding a stock image of something that would be appropriate for the site- represent the culture of this place and that would escape criticism. That's not a productive or fun game. I know its hard to shift a perspective that sees things as either for or against without any nuance, but when it comes to significant investments into the City, in its primary cultural district, by highly capitalized partners - we need to set the bar higher.

Victoria's development controversies often boil down to this impasse: the ideal concept cannot be described either by visual example or through written words. But everyone knows what it should be like. And so we get frustrated, forever wondering why the the architects and developers are the only ones who are unaware.

• Nparker, lanforod and berzele like this

#749 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:22 AM

That’s because nothing is ever good enough by design, so nothing should be built until humanity advances enough to understand Victoria’s unique needs.

Diamond Schmitt might be good enough for New York City, but they’re woefully inadequate at proposing designs for Victoria, in other words.
  • Nparker and Danma like this

Know it all.

#750 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:56 AM

Based on current Victoria likes and dislikes, perhaps Telus could build a 7-story Popeye's Chicken in this location.

• Kapten Kapsell, Nparker, Matt R. and 4 others like this

#751 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:58 AM

it is a very cutting edge 1980 American design. We are managing to look more and more like LA including all the druggies downtown.

#752 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:02 AM

You know, you could actually liken downtown LA to downtown Victoria, especially the east downtown area.

Know it all.

#753 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:03 AM

LA is not what you want to become. 

#754 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:05 AM

Right, I guess I’m talking more about the built form.

Know it all.

#755 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 12:47 PM

Approved. Isitt, Thornton-Joe and Young opposed.

• Hotel Mike and Victoria Watcher like this

#756 jstovell

jstovell
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 02:30 PM

Fantastic news! 

#757 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 02:48 PM

That's great news. I have to say I was very impressed with how Lisa Helps articulated her position of support.

• berzele likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#758 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 02:53 PM

Wow must say I am surprised (pleasantly). I thought for sure Victoria's infamous NIMBY round up crew would win the day.

Guess I'll grab some popcorn and go read the fireworks posts on FB because you know this is going to bring every "WelookjustlikeminiVancouverthisdoesn'treflectVictoriaValuesTheEndoftheWorldisNear!" - poster out of the woodwork.

• Nparker likes this

#759 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 02:59 PM

Not surprised that Isitt opposed, but why did Councillors Young & Thornton-Joe oppose?

#760 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 03:04 PM

Young and T-J are the old school embodiment of Victoria politics. They likely knew their votes would be insignificant, and voted with an ode to their early 2000s counterparts.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users