UNDER CONSTRUCTION
TELUS Ocean
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 767 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
The Apex Site property on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street in downtown Victoria, also known as the 'Budget Lo... (view full profile)
Learn more about TELUS Ocean on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] TELUS Ocean - Apex Site | TELUS and Aryze Developments

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#781 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 06:32 PM

I think a three or four year moratorium on the site might be productive. It is the least that can be done to forward the equity of reconciliation.

• LJ likes this

#782 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 October 2022 - 02:21 PM

Telus Ocean's construction start launches office space boom in downtown Victoria

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#783 GreenBC

GreenBC
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 06:08 AM

For those of you that don't live in the downtown core and would like to check on the progress of the TELUS Ocean building, see my YouTube channel by clicking on this link https://youtube.com/@telusocean and please subscribe. I am streaming live 24/7 and recording the daytime construction weekdays. I posted one time-lapse video from July 18 and may post more in the future but I'd like to compress longer periods of time, perhaps a month into a few minutes. This would be time consuming work because I am only recording video and not taking snapshots that can be joined together. I set the camera to this narrow portrait orientation so that I don't have to make any adjustments as the building rises to its full height. Enjoy! -Tim

• Mike K., AllseeingEye, Hotel Mike and 7 others like this

#784 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,953 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 06:24 AM

Hey that’s very cool. 😎

#785 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 06:29 AM

^^ Yes thank you for posting this GreenBC. Excellent videos.

#786 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 07:37 AM

Yeah that’s fantastic!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#787 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 01:30 PM

Thanks Green

#788 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 08:39 AM

Good luck to them. My sources tell me that the only demand for downtown office space is from companies downsizing. Fortunately for some owners, the Government and large corporates are renewing leases for now even though their spaces are at best 50% utilized.

#789 GreenBC

GreenBC
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 08:58 AM

I think the timing of TELUS Ocean is perfect. What matters more is the demand for AAA class office space in two years when the building is complete.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#790 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 07:09 PM

Good luck to them. My sources tell me that the only demand for downtown office space is from companies downsizing. Fortunately for some owners, the Government and large corporates are renewing leases for now even though their spaces are at best 50% utilized.

Our firm alone has given up four leased d/t spaces right in the core, and when the HIBC/MSP contract is formally handed off to the new vendor, who will effectively become the new employer for a couple hundred of us, our new office space will be out at Keating X Rd.

• Barrrister likes this

#791 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 07:11 PM

Holy. Is it the same space West Corp had?

Know it all.

#792 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 07:21 PM

My understanding is that it is not the old West Corp offices although that is a logical guess/assumption for that area. 

#793 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 07:49 PM

Right.

I’m going to assume plenty of people are not thrilled about driving to Central Saanich?

Know it all.

#794 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 08:19 PM

There are certainly lots of internal conversations happening for sure :). I don't know all the details in terms of a timeline for possible return to work, or the details of a probable hybrid home/office option, so I'm not in a position to comment.

The bus commute would not be ideal as that would be a 2-bus hop for me connecting from Selkirk to downtown then out to the peninsula. Given BCT's well known staffing issues and 'phantom' buses that seemingly never show up when you need them most, the prospect is potentially problematic. Also I moved back from Vancouver 21 years ago and hoped my true commuting days were long over. A few years of back and forth between Richmond and d/t Vancouver and for awhile North Burnaby to d/t Vancouver was more than enough for me. In the last two decades in YYJ my longest commute each way was maybe 20 minutes. Less than half that though for the vast majority of my time back on the rock.

However we have several months yet so I'm happy to just sit back and wait until more information is communicated to us. Its a great gig with an excellent employer and benefits and pension most people can only dream about, so I'm thankful for all that and personally not that fussed.

• Mike K., Matt R., Hotel Mike and 1 other like this

#795 MysticalWarrior

MysticalWarrior
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 04:11 PM

For those of you that don't live in the downtown core and would like to check on the progress of the TELUS Ocean building, see my YouTube channel by clicking on this link https://youtube.com/@telusocean and please subscribe. I am streaming live 24/7 and recording the daytime construction weekdays. I posted one time-lapse video from July 18 and may post more in the future but I'd like to compress longer periods of time, perhaps a month into a few minutes. This would be time consuming work because I am only recording video and not taking snapshots that can be joined together. I set the camera to this narrow portrait orientation so that I don't have to make any adjustments as the building rises to its full height. Enjoy! -Tim

I'm a little late, but thanks Green! I've been hoping to go down there sometime to see the site status for a little while, but now I can check it whenever thanks to your livestream.  :)

It's exciting to see construction activity happening in this area again - takes me back to when the Falls was being built...

• Mike K. likes this

#796 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 11:22 AM

Pic by thegreatscaper at flickr.com

#797 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 11:25 AM

^Some people would say the site looks like the pits, but the workers seem to be digging it.

#798 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,953 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 05:28 AM

TELUS Ocean – an iconic architectural landmark. Just steps away from the Inner Harbour, TELUS Ocean will soon become reality and I will be live streaming its construction 24/7 until its completion. I am an individual condo owner and have no relationship with TELUS except that I am a retail customer. I supported the TELUS Ocean project at public forums even though the building will block the sunshine and my view to the south. I created this YouTube channel because it may be of interest to others and as an extension of my support to recognize the TELUS contribution to Victoria. 

https://www.youtube....Q?feature=share

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2023.05.08-09_28_47.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 May 2023 - 05:29 AM.

• Hotel Mike, BeanCounter and MysticalWarrior like this

#799 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 10:33 AM

Will they be putting up a full crane soon?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#800 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,953 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 10:41 AM

I would not be surprised if he is pressured to remove that feed.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 May 2023 - 10:42 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users