UNDER CONSTRUCTION
TELUS Ocean
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 767 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
The Apex Site property on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street in downtown Victoria, also known as the 'Budget Lo... (view full profile)
Learn more about TELUS Ocean on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] TELUS Ocean - Apex Site | TELUS and Aryze Developments

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#81 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:22 AM

Telus sold its new main office building in Vancouver

https://theprovince....e7-c53ba09f6498

#82 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:15 AM

Funny, I was just thinking about the Apex site development yesterday. Why is it still such a secret?

#83 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:32 AM

I have zero contact with anyone connected with this but my hunch is that Telus wants to avoid a years-long exercise in futility like Crystal Court and has chosen to work closely with the architects and the City planning department, and maybe some on Council to fine tune the design to ensure is passes the process smoothly without controversy.

#84 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:44 AM

Is that what it has come down to? If developers want a smooth ride they have to keep everything hush-hush and on the down low? If so, then our system is broken.

#85 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:08 AM

^Well, I suspect it's the same strategy Jawl uses. His projects sail through City Hall like greased ice cubes. It's a good way to do business--treat City Hall like partners rather than adversaries. Not all developers have that mojo, though.

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:09 AM

What’s most likely happening is a legal process is playing out related to the land and whatever agreement the parties have struck. Once that’s settled the development proposal will be unveiled and the approvals/planning process will proceed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#87 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:35 AM

I still think it's bizarre how much secrecy seems to surround this project. I don't recall anything else quite like this.

#88 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:42 AM

The firehall is a recent example of a project that was conceived behind closed doors and is now moving forward through a public approvals process.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#89 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:33 AM

^Well, I suspect it's the same strategy Jawl uses. His projects sail through City Hall like greased ice cubes. It's a good way to do business--treat City Hall like partners rather than adversaries. Not all developers have that mojo, though.

I’ve tried that approach: it just doesn’t work. It doesn’t matter how collaborative you are with City staff or how sound or logically your interpretation of their policies and legal authority, they will move the goalposts on you. They will overreach their authority and create new hoops for you to jump through. And then as you’re approaching said hoop, they light it on fire. And then after you’ve jumped through it, only singed, they’ll tell you that the jump didn’t count and you have to do it again. Backwards. Blindfolded. Also, you’re not allowed to leave your feet. And that’s just the public process. Wait until you have to deal with the Land Development Office.

So when Helpless crows about how 90% of development applications are approved within 8-12 months, you’ll have to excuse me if I’m struck with the urge to shove a banana cream pie in her face même comme l’Entartiste. /end_rant
  • Nparker and DavidL like this

#90 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,289 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:39 AM

Downtown-car-rental-agencies-on-the-move-as-secretive-'Apex-Site'-development-plans-crystallize.jpg
The City of Victoria-owned Apex Site on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street, identified above in blue, is the home to National Car Rental and Budget Car Rental. The land is currently the focus of a redevelopment effort involving TELUS and Jawl Properties. National Car Rental has identified a nearby property (depicted in green) for its future car rental operation as it plans to make way for the Apex Site development.

National-Car-Rental-727-733-Courtney-Street.jpg
An artist's rendering of National Car Rental's envisioned new location for the 700-block of Courtney Street between Douglas and Blanshard streets.

Downtown car rental agencies on the move as secretive 'Apex Site' development plans crystallize

https://victoria.cit...ns-crystallize/

Know it all.

#91 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:03 AM

It seems like a terrible waste of land to use that Courtney site for a car rental agency and parking lot.  How about build a parkade with both agencies in it and, gasp, public parking?

• Nparker, thundergun and grantpalin like this

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:24 AM

That would be a monumental undertaking for such a tiny lot. It really is quite small, but at least the streetscape will be nicely upgraded with what appears to be a fitting little building.

What this also means is the future for this property isn't set in stone.

Know it all.

#93 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:16 PM

Now that's a huge departure from the portable that National is in right now!

#94 TransplantedEdmontonian

TransplantedEdmontonian
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:52 AM

A friend showed me a picture of the first Apex rendering last week as he is friends with someone in the know.  I kept figuring it would pop up here, but hasn't yet.  I just did a quick google search and found the architect's site has the same picture on their website:

http://cascadiaarchi...te-victoria-bc/

Interesting to note that it will take advantage of the triangular lot and there's an overpass over Douglas to the Convention Centre.  Someone more in the know than I may be able to get more details!

#95 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:56 AM

^ Hey TE, that one is actually one of the unsuccessful bids for the site. It first appeared on this page in this post: https://vibrantvicto...rties/?p=401711

The City has been mum on the chosen design!

#96 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:57 AM

It's funny, I was just think about this mysterious project yesterday. Will we ever see the approved design?

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:02 AM

Yes, a proposal by Tenfold Projects was the design by Cascadia. Tenfold is the developer behind Westbay Quay and The Wade.

Know it all.

#98 TransplantedEdmontonian

TransplantedEdmontonian
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:13 AM

Oops.  I didn't realize this was a failed bid and I didn't go back through the entire thread to see this was already here.  And here I thought I somehow lucked my way into a scoop.  Sorry about that!

Edited by TransplantedEdmontonian, 16 October 2018 - 08:13 AM.

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:20 AM

All good! Thank you for bringing this forward.

Know it all.

#100 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:36 AM

I really like the wedge-shaped design linked to above, though am uncertain of the utility of the overpass walkway. Are we going to be disappointed with the city's selection? I worry that the city will have chosen a plain and non-offensive design that does not make the best use of the lot.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users