Trudeau's small business tax changes

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#261 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

The latest is gob-smacking.  He's now denying the disability tax credit to those with type 1 diabetes.  I'm lucky - I'm not a type 1 diabetic, nor is anyone in my household.  However, I have known a few who are afflicted with T1D, a cousin, my step-daughter's sister, a child in the baby group my daughter belonged to, my sister-in-law.  My only first hand experience with diabetes, was when I was pregnant with my daughter I was a gestational diabetic - (more akin to type 2 than type 1 and I was lucky to be able to control my condition with just diet and exercise - not an an option for type 1).  The reality of T1D is that it's expensive (think around $1 per test strip and needing to test several times a day) plus the cost of insulin, and time consuming.  I've heard that the costs can easily exceed $5,000 per year  

This tax credit is a small step up to help those who contend with a disease that they didn't ask for - to effectively manage it and mitigate the equally expensive complications that can arise from diabetes that isn't managed appropriately.  

So I find myself writing yet another letter to my MP and this government regarding this issue.  Thankfully - diabetes Canada has an easy to use template to download from their site and doing this will only take a few moments. 

• sebberry likes this

#262 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

Hey this is the same government that promised no more than $10B debt prior to the election, ran it up to an estimated $30B, found out it was only $20B so they pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

Oh, and that balanced budget by 2019, that's not gonna happen anymore either. Sorry we misspoke, sunny days my friend.

• jonny and Wayne like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#263 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

^Please don't get me started, LJ.  I didn't like the last guy - not one bit, so I wasn't sad when he was booted by the electorate in '15.  But, I didn't vote for PMJT, either..

But now, so many broken promises; and worst of all...the debt..ticking steadily upward, stealing from my kids (and theirs, too..)  handicapping us all with a millstone that has to, eventually, get paid back.  

What the actual f@#k is Bill Morneau thinking? He's supposed to be the adult in the room - the guy with the LSE education, and the business/financial background to run a competent finance ministry, and yet here we are, $20BN in the red, and no plan to get back into the black, let alone start paying back.. cheese and rice - what a bloody mess!

Edited by North Shore, 25 October 2017 - 10:00 PM.

• LJ, jonny and Awaiting Juno like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#264 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:10 AM

^Unfortunately all Canadians need to do is look in the mirror. Debt to income ratios are at record levels (despite having the strongest economy in decades), personal savings are non-existent with 40% of Canadians saying that a 50 bps increase in interest rates would cause them severe financial hardship or worse, and the one asset that people own (ie their house) is at best destined to provide them little to no real return over the next 5-10 years.

As individuals we are grossly fiscally irresponsible so why is it a surprise that we have elected a Government that feeds into that telling us that we can have everything we want.

• Matt R. likes this

#265 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

^^Morneau, say, that's not French for Moron is it?

He must have missed the lesson in his studies that said you borrow in the bad times and pay back in the good times. He went right to the let's borrow all the time and then some nasty Conservative will get elected and be the big meanie and start paying down our debt.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#266 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

^ I'm not that averse to borrowing, either - but to fund decent infrastructure, and with a solid plan to pay it back - not just punting the ball down the road to the next generation.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#267 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

And it keeps getting better.

Huge offshore data leak reveals financial secrets of global elites — from the Queen to former PMs

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...campaign=buffer

An enormous new leak of tax-haven financial records — rivalling the Panama Papers in size and scope — is laying bare some of the financial secrets of the world's elite, from the Queen to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's chief fundraiser to U.S. President Donald Trump's commerce secretary, along with more than 120 politicians across the globe.

The 13.4 million records in what is being dubbed the Paradise Papers come largely from Appleby, one of the biggest offshore law firms on the planet, which was founded in Bermuda and has branches in tax havens around the world.

In addition to the Queen, three former Canadian prime ministers have connections to the offshore world that show up in the Paradise Papers:

Paul Martin's former shipping empire Canada Steamship Lines — now run by his sons — is one of Appleby's "biggest clients," according to a document in the leak. Martin offered no comment and CSL said it complies with all laws and regulations wherever it operates. 

Brian Mulroney was on the board of Said Holdings, run by Syrian-born billionaire Wafic Said, who helped broker the biggest arms deal in British history. Through a lawyer, Mulroney said he considers Said "a good friend" and is "proud" to have served the company.

Jean Chrétien lobbied for an East African oil venture called Madagascar Oil. A register of the company's investors lists him as the recipient of 100,000 stock options, but Chrétien told CBC/Radio-Canada he never got, or even heard of, any such options. He confirmed he did briefly do some consulting for the company, and his law firm at the time, Heenan Blaikie, was paid for his work.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#268 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

Now Prince Charles has been implicated in the Paradise Papers expose.

But it's the Canadian small business owner who's the tax cheat, right, Prime Minister Trudeau?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users