Photo

Traffic Calming-Good thing or Bad?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Poll: Is traffic calming Good or Bad? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Is traffic calming Good or Bad?

1. Good (12 votes [34.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.29%

2. Bad (22 votes [62.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.86%

3. What is that? (1 votes [2.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 NMP

NMP
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:39 PM

why would you drive over the traffic calming concrete when you obviously had to slow to a crawl to do it?

No matter what the answer to that is, we now know the damn thing works; around it or over it, in any case speed is way down 8)

#42 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:56 PM

I had a genius idea--make the traffic calming devices like a little patch of rocky forest. Then the SUV drivers would love traffic calming. It would also be the most mud those trucks had ever seen.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#43 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:14 AM

Victoria--100 years of complaining about traffic.

(Emily Carr--1900s)
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#44 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:22 AM

Two of these were just installed this week in the road in front of James Bay Community School. One at each end of the block.

I didn't check, but I believe they are somewhat flexible/hinged near the bottom to reduce damage if struck.

traffic_calming_may_2017.JPG

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

...I believe they are somewhat flexible/hinged near the bottom to reduce damage if struck.

The signs or the children? ;)

• tedward and nagel like this

#46 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

Just what we need - more blind spots in school zones.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#47 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:47 AM

They went to a lot of trouble to make that a kid-sized blind spot. You guys don't appreciate anything.

• sebberry likes this

#48 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:07 PM

Just what we need - more blind spots in school zones.  

Blind spot? It's pretty narrow and in the middle of the road on the center line. Anything small enough, or far enough away to be totally obscured is not a hazard and given that it is within three or four meters of the corner (where they will be painting an actual crosswalk after so many years) I have little sympathy for anyone trying to cross at that point.

#49 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:22 PM

Be honest now.....who here looks at that hinged sign and gets an ever so slight urge to run it over?

• Nparker likes this

#50 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

^ If I hadn't been walking with my kid I might have tried to push it over. ;)

Edited by tedward, 19 May 2017 - 07:45 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#51 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

You run it over as confirmation.

#52 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

Looks like an ongoing maintenance nightmare to me.

#53 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

Be honest now.....who here looks at that hinged sign and gets an ever so slight urge to run it over?

That's how I feel about the bollards by Christ Church Cathedral. That bit of Rockland was our main route into and out of town and with all the one way streets and no left turns around there, it's a bit of a nuisance having it closed off.

#54 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

That's how I feel about the bollards by Christ Church Cathedral. That bit of Rockland was our main route into and out of town and with all the one way streets and no left turns around there, it's a bit of a nuisance having it closed off.

That's the point of traffic calming.  Make using the road bogged down or blocked as to avoid usage.  Problem comes when there is no "then what" analysis.  The local residents end up being punished.

#55 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

The automated vehicle will solve all these problems: speed, which route you take.

#56 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:00 AM

That's the point of traffic calming.  Make using the road bogged down or blocked as to avoid usage.  Problem comes when there is no "then what" analysis.  The local residents end up being punished.

Nope, incorrect description of purpose and misrepresenting affected residents.

1) The point of traffic calming is to reduce speeds by providing visual clues other than standard signage causing drivers to slow down reflexively rather than cognitively. In other words, effective traffic calming slows people down without making them think about it.

2) Local residents in James Bay, in particular parents at the school, have been concerned for years with people speeding past the school, ignoring the standard road signs, and endangering elementary schoolchildren. You will find few, if any, local residents who feel, "punished" by what has been done to Oswego St.

Edited by tedward, 23 May 2017 - 08:00 AM.

• Coreyburger and GaryRanson like this

#57 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

How many of those school children have been killed by those dangerous scofflaws?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#58 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:01 PM

^ I don't think (would hope) anyone would complain about traffic calming through a school zone or parking lot

A good example of poorly thought out "traffic calming" is the newly installed "pimple" at Helmcken and Watkiss.  This needlessly blocks a full lane of traffic.  For what end?   It now takes forever to get anywhere near one's house.  

Another tragic example of "Traffic Calming" is the old Island Highway, with it lovely babbling brook and rock art to stare at while all the vehicles sit idling away. 

Edited by On the Level, 23 May 2017 - 08:02 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#59 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:11 PM

Was the old island highway ever 4 lanes though? I'll give you the Helmcken point and believe me that intersection is no fun for cyclists either. Sensor never works on the left turn lane so I just go when it's clear.

#60 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:48 PM

Following numerous complaints from residents in the Estevan/Esplanade area about youngsters squealing their car tires when turning off the Esplanade onto Estevan Avenue, Council decided to adopt the recommendation of one resident that a bump be placed on the roadway to slow the cars down. The Reeve stated that in his opinion this would only make matters worse and that young people would take it as a challenge. However, the work was ordered and the bump placed in position. That night, and the Friday following, bedlam broke loose at that corner with hundreds of teenagers, either as drivers or spectators, gathered to see who could take the bump at the fastest pace. Police dispersed them, only to have them re-gather when the police left. Finally, one resident phoned the Reeve and said he was "taking his shotgun down there and blast hell out of those punks". The Reeve managed to quiet the irate citizen and the following morning instructed the Engineer to have the bump removed at once, even though it meant paying overtime to workers. Thus ended a foolish undertaking.

https://www.oakbay.c...ory/murdoch.pdf

• rjag and sebberry like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users