Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21583 replies to this topic

#9321 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

See, I have issues with this 1990 crime...

So of the two guys that actually did the crime, were in the house and had the opportunity to back out before they did it...

Muir admitted to the crime and he's out in 2003.

Lord says he did not do the crime and he's afraid to tell his parents he did.  He remains in jail 27 years later.

Huenemann was not even in the same city where the crime took place and did not force these guys by threat to commit the murder (like an underworld figure might) and he also is still in jail 27 years later.

http://www.timescolo...ears-1.22293117

I'm not clear on what your point is?  That people who've admitted culpability and have made efforts to embrace reform should be held as long as those who deny their involvement and show no signs of reform?

Or is it that people who show no signs of reform should be released early, because come on, what's a little murder among friends and hey, despite the evidence they're still saying they're innocent?

Also, you missed the part where Huenemann was essentially enticing his friends to commit the murder, which is generally considered more heinous than other kinds of murders (check  the recently dead Charles Manson's history for notes on this one).

#9322 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:43 PM

I'll leave aside the fact that in a very small minority of cases, those in jail for murder are innocent, and that in the Heuneman case, 2 of the 3 claim innocence.

What I mean is, that I think that you take each of the murderers and say to them "would you reform yourself when we release you, if we release you now...?" .. and most of them would say yes.  Few if any would murder again.   So in for example the Heuneman case, 2 guys have been in for 14 more years than one other guy.  That seems wrong.

Now, a guy that while drunk killed an RCMP officer here a few years back, he's going to spend less than 2 years in prison.

A man that intentionally killed his mom in Sooke will serve less than 5. 

A man that punched a guy on Douglas, the victim falling and dying, he spent just 18 months in jail.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 30 November 2017 - 01:44 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9323 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

All Lord has to do is tell the truth and he's good to go. This cage of lies his parents have constructed is heartbreaking and pathetic.

As for Huenemann, I don't know. We know so little about him. He was practically a child when he went inside. We haven't been told why his parole was turned down. He was 18 when he arranged the murders and he's what, 45 now? I can only guess that experts have found him an un-remorseful psychopath. I mean, even that crazy Greyhound bus cannibal is out on parole already, and that's not even ten years.

• rmpeers likes this

#9324 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

Yeah, and I bet that's why Greyhound ridership is declining, that and the fact that the machete guy is still on the loose.

#9325 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

The Greyhound bus guy was never convicted of a crime. He’s not on parole.
  • Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9326 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,740 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

...I have a general rule I think can be put in place for young offenders.  The absolute maximum prison time is the same as their age at the time of the offence.  So in her case, it'd be 15 years.

How about this: When convicted of ending someone's life the sentence should be relative to the number of years of life taken from the victim. A sentence of one year for every two years the victim lost seems appropriate for 2nd degree murder. (1 for 1 for 1st degree murder). Reena Virk was 14 at the time of her death. Statistically speaking she likely would have lived another 70 years; therefore Ms. Ellard should spend 35 years without freedom if justice is to be served in Reena's death.

#9327 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:59 PM

^You have to factor in rehabilitation, responsibility and remorse. Glowatski and Virk's parents reconciled and even shared a hug following a circle meeting. The goal is to fix those who are capable.

#9328 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,740 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:07 PM

^You have to factor in rehabilitation, responsibility and remorse...The goal is to fix those who are capable.

I don't believe Ms Ellard has shown any signs of responsibility or remorse. Until she does she has not begun to earn the privilege of returning to the general Canadian population.

• Rob Randall, Nostalgic Victoria and rmpeers like this

#9329 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:11 PM

How about this: When convicted of ending someone's life the sentence should be relative to the number of years of life taken from the victim. A sentence of one year for every two years the victim lost seems appropriate for 2nd degree murder. (1 for 1 for 1st degree murder). Reena Virk was 14 at the time of her death. Statistically speaking she likely would have lived another 70 years; therefore Ms. Ellard should spend 35 years without freedom if justice is to be served in Reena's death.

I'm more keen to give 15 and 17-year-olds a second chance.  Rather than having them leave prison at 45.

Less into giving a 46-year old 2 years time for killing his 82-year-old neighbour.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 30 November 2017 - 04:11 PM.

#9330 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,740 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

I'm more keen to give 15 and 17-year-olds a second chance...

Ms. Ellard knew exactly what she was doing. I am fully convinced she is a sociopath.

Edited by Nparker, 30 November 2017 - 04:14 PM.

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#9331 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

VicPD is asking the public to be mindful of safety when using downtown Victoria’s parking kiosk ticket pick-up slots where a syringe was discovered on November 28th.

Nobody was injured in the incident but the force is asking residents to be cautious.

This image is from a video still from VicPD’s YouTube video on the issue here: https://t.co/8gIl1YpCrA

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9332 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

Ms. Ellard knew exactly what she was doing. I am fully convinced she is a sociopath.

I have two questions 1)With Kelly being inside so long why does she have to go to rehab before progressing on to the day release program.
Shouldn't she be drug free by now she was young when she was sentenced .
2)Is she married to this gang member baby daddy .

#9333 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:50 PM

Appreciate the strategy....I can understand.  

I'm not sure the hard model of "doing time" serves us though.  Virk locked up with no redirection will just make her harder, to influence/abuse the hundreds/thousands of other inmates she comes into contact with.  

Same argument is the "Parole vs. Probation" toss up and the nasty reason people forego the offer of Parole for Probation.

#9334 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

VicPD is asking the public to be mindful of safety when using downtown Victoria’s parking kiosk ticket pick-up slots where a syringe was discovered on November 28th.

Another reason to use the Park Victoria app.

YouTube CC fail:

Capture.JPG
  • Mike K., Rob Randall and Nparker like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9335 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:28 AM

Kelly Ellard has been released on day parole.

Yikes, seriously?

Probably.  But sometimes people are stubborn, sometimes they will not admit it so they do not let family members down.  I've yet to see proof that people that do not admit to crimes before the parole board, upon release are more likely to commit more crimes.

I have a general rule I think can be put in place for young offenders.  The absolute maximum prison time is the same as their age at the time of the offence.  So in her case, it'd be 15 years.

Personally, those such as Kelly Ellard make a great case for bringing back the death penalty in Canada (in part, also to spare taxpayers the expense of housing and feeding such as her the rest of their lives).

Oh dear. Look out everyone there's a revisionist about.

I already said that it was done and over with (and BTW, there's nothing "revisionist" about the truth) - now let's move on, 'kay?

#9336 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:34 AM

The Greyhound bus guy was never convicted of a crime. He’s not on parole.

Vince Li is someone else who makes the case for bringing back the death penalty here.  The only reason he's not still locked up now is because he made a bogus "mental illness" claim to avoid both criminal responsibility and spending the rest of his life in prison.  Believe it, he knew what he was doing when he beheaded Tim McLean on that Greyhound bus.

#9337 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:13 AM

OMG we have a death penalty advocate.

I’m not one. With the death penalty you invariably kill a few innocents.

Assisted death for life sentence criminals that choose it? That might make sense.
  • GaryRanson likes this

#9338 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:13 AM

Ellard will live at some type of halfway house and be closely monitored.

I think her chances for reintegration might well be good.

I will likely be criticized by some for this statement, but she might well find a good man to lead her straight.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 December 2017 - 07:15 AM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#9339 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,740 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:28 AM

Ellard will live at some type of halfway house and be closely monitored.

I think her chances for reintegration might well be good.

I will likely be criticized by some for this statement, but she might well find a good man to lead her straight.

She's shown no remorse for her crime. No "good man" would come within 50 feet of her.

• Nostalgic Victoria and Midnightly like this

#9340 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:40 AM

She's shown no remorse for her crime. No "good man" would come within 50 feet of her.

Oh, you might be surprised.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Victoria Watcher