• Please log in to reply
21542 replies to this topic

#9401 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:54 AM

I know double time already served is the law but what is the
logic behind it ?

I think that it's got to do with the uncertainty and chaos of being in the regional holding pen - there's no programs available, not much stability, etc...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#9402 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

You'd think that they could at least sentence him to some form of (lifelong) mandatory treatment for his drug and mental issues? What's to stop him from coming out in 5 years, getting his cheque, fixing, and then stabbing another unsuspecting random passerby?

There is absolutely nothing to stop him. Once he is released, he is deemed to have served his debt to society. Sometimes long term supervision orders can be issued for dangerous offenders but it's very difficult to have someone designated as a dangerous offender. There are hundreds of violent inmates released into the community every year, presumably rehabilitated by their sentence. However I think the re-offending rates are ridiculously high

#9403 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:22 AM

I think that it's got to do with the uncertainty and chaos of being in the regional holding pen - there's no programs available, not much stability, etc...

Extra credit is given for incarceration prior to sentencing under the premis of innocent until proven guilty.

#9404 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:22 AM

^ no, when he comes out he is still subject to supervision until his full sentence is up.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9405 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

^ no, when he comes out he is still subject to supervision until his full sentence is up.

Sorry Yes, I was referring to full release, not day parole or half way house. With a provincial sentence of under 2 years, a probation term can be part of the sentence. With a federal term which is over 2 years, there is no post-sentence probation.

#9406 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:15 PM

I thought the Harper government was getting rid of the double or 1.5 credit for time served prior to sentencing? Did that not happen? I was thrilled when I read that somewhere a few years back.

#9407 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:19 PM

They tried to but it was met with resistance.

https://www.thestar...._jail_time.html

But look, there is some good reasons for it, not the least of it which is that a person acquitted can get nothing back for time served. Zero.

So an innocent person might do 9 months and they have no recourse.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 24 December 2017 - 08:20 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9408 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:55 PM

Acquittals don't get affected by this at all though. If they served 9 months prior to a conviction, they should get their conviction reduced by 9 months, not 18.

An acquittal after 9 months doesn't change the fact 9 months were served. We can't change the laws of time and give them back 9 months (or 18 months).

Full acquittals due to innocence should result in financial compensation for time served though, IMO. Hard to prove innocence though. I'm not sure its that big of an issue anyways - bail is usually granted, no? Time served should be minimal for most, but especially for those first time offenders?

#9409 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:24 PM

Oak Bay deaths.

http://victoriabuzz....d-oak-bay-home/

#9410 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:37 PM

Upon entering the house, officers found two people who were pronounced dead at the scene and one injured person.

[...]

Police said they do not believe that the public is at risk.

Murder-suicide gone wrong?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9411 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:40 PM

Murder murder suicide perhaps, ya.

#9412 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:56 AM

Attempted suicide?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9413 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:00 AM

You kill two people, then try but fail to kill yourself.

It’s a common occurrence.

Also I suppose you might kill two people and become injured yourself in the struggle. More rare.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 December 2017 - 08:01 AM.

#9414 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:06 AM

Oak Bay Police press release on yesterday's deaths:

On December 25h, at approximately 5:00PM, the Oak Bay Police Department were notified of a potential incident and subsequently checked a residence near the corner of Beach and Goodwin, in Oak Bay. The police responded and discovered two deceased individuals and one injured person. The injured person has been taken to hospital and their condition is unknown.

At this time, we are not disclosing any information about the individuals involved nor any additional information about the incident.

The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit (VIMCU) has been called in to take over the investigation.

Foul play is suspected, however, there is no reason to believe that the public is at risk.

The scene is currently contained and the area residents can expect this to continue throughout the night, and/or as long as required by investigators.

*VIMCU will be taking over the communications aspect of this file as well so we are not available to clip or provide further comment. Thank you for your understanding.

Ray Bernoties

Deputy Chief Constable

Oak Bay Police Department 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9415 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:12 AM

Oak Bay, per capita, is arguably one of the most murder-prone and violent crime-prone districts in Canada, is it not?

Know it all.

#9416 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:13 AM

CFAX has been saying all morning foul play is suspected. TC says it’s a potential homicide.

#9417 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:14 AM

TC:

Two people are dead and a third person is injured in what Oak Bay police are investigating as a possible homicide.

Foul play is suspected in the deaths and the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit is on scene at an apartment on Beach Drive near Goodwin Street.

#9418 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

Just to recap...there might have been a major crime in Oak Bay with some deaths.

#9419 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:27 AM

Oh it might have all been natural causes. CArbon monoxide maybe.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 December 2017 - 08:28 AM.

#9420 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

Yellow tape is up. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users