The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21442 replies to this topic

#9641 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:04 PM

Loose change leads people to steal cars?

Victoria Police warn vehicle theft is on the rise

Sharp increase attributed to loose change and other items left in plain sight

Anf police explain away the increase as loose change and items left in view?  Is that behavior on the rise?

https://www.vicnews....is-on-the-rise/

In 2016, there were a reported 158 thefts from vehicles across the downtown core, 32 of which occurred in parkades. In 2017, that number jumped to 441, with 241 of them occurring in parkades, marking a 25 per cent increase across Victoria and Esquimalt.

Sounds like the downton miscreants are the problem, to me.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 March 2018 - 04:06 PM.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9642 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

There are new details emerging about the deadly incident near Hillside Mall last weekend.

Police are still tight-lipped about the case, but a concerned citizen has come forward saying she knows who did it and she claims he was attacked first and it was self-defence.

"He didn't want to kill anybody, I know that," says Shannon, whose last name isn't being used as no charges have been laid.  "He is devoted to his child."

But she says Danny turned himself into police right away and was held in custody on a breach of probation.

Despite fears for her own safety, Shannon is speaking out because she's heard a bounty has been put on Danny's head and she's worried about a revenge killing.

"They're telling everybody $10,000 is being offered for whoever can kill Danny or his brother," Shannon says. "Everybody is a victim here — everybody loses and Joe would be alive and Danny would be free if they hadn't chose to react with violence."

The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit is investigating the killing and so far, police say no arrests have been made.

Police wouldn't confirm whether Danny is a suspect or person of interest.  All RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Tammy Douglas would say is that they are "confident there is no threat to the public."

Sounds to me like police ought to let us know more.

https://www.cheknews...self-in-429492/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9643 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:32 PM

No, no it's your fault for having a car AND for parking it downtown. Shame on you.
  • sebberry likes this

#9644 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:28 PM

No, no it's your fault for having a car AND for parking it downtown. Shame on you.

Parkade vehicle break-ins are up 800% and they blame it on our reckless displaying of coins and valuables.  Which of course is likely up 800% for some reason.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 March 2018 - 06:33 PM.

#9645 satellite

satellite
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:37 PM

Sounds to me like police ought to let us know more.

https://www.cheknews...self-in-429492/

Everyone involved here are such devoted parents. Doing normal devoted parent things like fighting in the street over drugs at 2 am.  Has the suspect started a Go Fund me yet?

• Matt R. and GaryRanson like this

#9646 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

^ At least the woman in the CHEK video called it as it is: "all of them are in the illicit drug trade".

I think it was 4:30am or so.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 March 2018 - 06:45 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#9647 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:07 PM

In 2016, there were a reported 158 thefts from vehicles across the downtown core...

Am I reading that right? 158 in a year? Fewer than one report every other day? Come on, that number can't be taken seriously. An unlucky individual has probably had his or her car broken into enough times in a bad year to account for a fair percentage of that.

Consider all of the vehicles that are parked downtown in a year. And then consider 158 reported thefts from vehicles. If there truly were just 158 reports then what can a reasonable person possibly conclude? Thefts from vehicles are generally not reported. I'm not saying the streets are full of crime, I'm not saying police are misrepresenting the stats, I'm just saying that number can't possibly be very informative re: the actual amount of theft from vehicles. We can all attest from direct personal experience that theft from vehicles isn't some exceptionally rare thing. It was never some exceptionally rare thing.

...32 of which occurred in parkades.

In city-operated parkades only or in any type of parkade? If we're talking about city-operated parkades only then we're talking ~6 reports per parkade per year? A report every two months per parkade? It makes me laugh just pondering it. If we're talking about all downtown parkades (and the article mentions patrols of public and private parkades) then that would work out to what... maybe half a report per parkade per year, depending on how narrow our definition of "downtown" is?

Discuss.

#9648 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

^ At least the woman in the CHEK video called it as it is: "all of them are in the illicit drug trade"....

"...qui acceperint gladium, gladio peribunt"

#9649 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:17 AM

^^I live Gorge/ Burnside and before that the ESQ... since moving to the island in 2004 I have had my car broken into once. That was my fault for leaving my roadside kit in the backseat after a trip.

Don't worry after they broke in the left the roadside kit in my next door neighbors front yard. Wasn't good enough for the thief I guess.

I guess I must be a lucky person then?*

*KNOCK on wood.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#9650 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

The pace of information release on this case seems very odd.

A man’s death has been declared a homicide after he was found on Hillside Avenue on Saturday.

The 35-year-old man was found dead after Victoria police were called to the 1400-block of Hillside Avenue for a disturbance early in the morning on March 10. The case is being called a homicide and the investigation is ongoing, according to a Friday news release from the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit (VIIMCU).

Anyone with information on the death is asked to call the VIIMCU Information Line at 250-380-6211 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Police have not released the identity of the man but family and friends have identified him as Joe Gauthier, a father of four.

https://www.cheknews...omicide-429848/

#9651 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:58 PM

Stabbing at Centennial square today. ☹️

#9652 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:30 PM

Maybe Mayor and Council will finally do something when Victoria is ranked # 1. 

http://www.macleans....ngerous-places/

#9653 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:10 AM

I was in Centennial Square just prior to VicPD’s arrival.

There was an ambulance right by the fountain tending to someone, an ambulance and fire truck were on the street parked in the bus stop. I suppose they were tending to the victim but police had not yet arrived.

Later on I walked past again as police were on scene and I took the time to chat with the officers securing the evidence (a broken beer bottle and blood on the ground).

I told them how disappointing the situation has become that we have to face this level of disorder and violence in the downtown. And that’s when the police unleashed their emotions. I’ll paraphrase below:

- we're tired of the massive influx of homeless individuals in Victoria
- we can’t handle the case load effectively
- the individuals who end up on the streets have a criminal history that starts out east (specifically one mentioned Quebec) and tracks west to Victoria
- we are seeing a large increase in the transient population that will eventually move on to the interior for fruit picking, then back again for the fall before heading back east for the winter (back to family? Old networks?)
- Isitt and Helps being unwilling to adequately expand the police force is wearing on officers
- Isitt wants to cut our number to half and says we're social workers
- some officers moved themselves and their families out of the CoV during this administration’s term over safety reasons
- medics are scared to respond to scenes without VicPD present
- firefighters are scared to respond to scenes without VicPD present
- frustration from the public is boiling over
- we beg you to vote the current administration out this fall
- there are good candidates emerging who will announce and run against the current council

Take that for what it is. These were the opinions of a couple of officers and do not represent the entire force, but the willingness of the officers to speak out and the conviction with which they described the degrading situation had a profound effect.

Now that being said, as they were stationed at the crime scene the rest of Centennial was an absolute zoo. There must have been 30-40 people milling about. Earlier they were all (or rather most) openly drinking but with the police present the booze was no longer in sight. And all this steps from the mayor’s office.

• lanforod, 57WestHills, Love the rock and 3 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9654 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:22 AM

It's gonna get worse before it gets better. 

This whole town should be renamed "Zombieville". 

I was inside 844 the other day.

Jesus Christ!

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#9655 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:17 AM

...I was inside 844 the other day...

Good heavens why? At least you lived to talk about it.

#9656 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:22 AM

Centennial Square has turned into a 24/7 nightmare. 

Nobody is doing anything about it.

Despite what the police said to Mike, they don't actually patrol the Square, and they only respond to the Square for overt acts of violence.

It doesn't take great deduction skills to realize that those "overt acts of violence" will occur on a daily basis if the Square is completely abandoned to the petty criminals that now occupy it 24/7.

It's fine to complain about your boss (as the cops did to Mike about Helps), but there are existing trespassing by-laws, open booze by-laws, vagrancy by-laws, juvenile by-laws, etc that can be enforced ... but that are currently being completely ignored by law enforcement.

That the VPD and the mayor and councillers have, as a group, intentionally forsaken safety in downtown Victoria - and continue to blame each other during their time away from doing their actual jobs, makes the downtown core a dangerous place to be at times.

I tend to agree with the cops that talked to Mike who noted that it's time for the entire COV council and mayor get the boot (it's probably not a bad idea to seek a new Police Chief at the same time).

Time for new blood - and new ideas to come to the fore.

The current bunch in City Hall seem to have utterly lost sight of the narrative, and seem fundamentally unable to find it again.

• Mike K., Lorenzo, jonny and 4 others like this

#9657 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:52 AM

The sense I got was that there aren't enough resources to station police in that area, the revolving door of the local justice system sees arrested individuals return to the streets immediately, and the directive from City Hall is to refrain from proactive practices which could be considered as unfairly targeting specific groups or unfairly labelling people who are loitering in a public place.

Centennial Square is absolute mayhem. It’s gross. And this is our civic square? Good grief.
  • jpve76, Midnightly and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9658 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:13 AM

I know someone who used to work for the city and still chats with current city workers. They can't stand Helps or many of the other councillors.

• jpve76 and A Girl is No one like this

#9659 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:14 AM

It's gonna get worse before it gets better. 

This whole town should be renamed "Zombieville". 

I was inside 844 the other day.

Jesus Christ!

My daughter and I call it Zombieville already.

• Sparky likes this

#9660 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:57 AM

I was in Centennial Square just prior to VicPD’s arrival.
There was an ambulance right by the fountain tending to someone, an ambulance and fire truck were on the street parked in the bus stop. I suppose they were tending to the victim but police had not yet arrived.
Later on I walked past again as police were on scene and I took the time to chat with the officers securing the evidence (a broken beer bottle and blood on the ground).
I told them how disappointing the situation has become that we have to face this level of disorder and violence in the downtown. And that’s when the police unleashed their emotions. I’ll paraphrase below:
- we're tired of the massive influx of homeless individuals in Victoria
- we can’t handle the case load effectively
- the individuals who end up on the streets have a criminal history that starts out east (specifically one mentioned Quebec) and tracks west to Victoria
- we are seeing a large increase in the transient population that will eventually move on to the interior for fruit picking, then back again for the fall before heading back east for the winter (back to family? Old networks?)
- Isitt and Helps being unwilling to adequately expand the police force is wearing on officers
- Isitt wants to cut our number to half and says we're social workers
- some officers moved themselves and their families out of the CoV during this administration’s term over safety reasons
- medics are scared to respond to scenes without VicPD present
- firefighters are scared to respond to scenes without VicPD present
- frustration from the public is boiling over
- we beg you to vote the current administration out this fall
- there are good candidates emerging who will announce and run against the current council
Take that for what it is. These were the opinions of a couple of officers and do not represent the entire force, but the willingness of the officers to speak out and the conviction with which they described the degrading situation had a profound effect.
Now that being said, as they were stationed at the crime scene the rest of Centennial was an absolute zoo. There must have been 30-40 people milling about. Earlier they were all (or rather most) openly drinking but with the police present the booze was no longer in sight. And all this steps from the mayor’s office.

Oh how I wish this could be published in the TC .
Maybe some of the people who generally don’t vote ,don’t go downtown ,live in their personal bubble might ,just might pay attention.
Take the time to get involved enough to vote them out .

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)