• Please log in to reply
21582 replies to this topic

#9661 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:11 AM

I always have to remind myself to refrain from ever blaming the beat cop ... the Constable you usually wind up seeing at a violent situation like occurred last night in the Square. 

Even though the average cop has a limited amount of personal discretion as to where he/she goes at any given point in time, if your boss doesn't assign you to patrol Centennial Square, then you don't patrol Centennial Square.

Crap always flows downhill, and major decisions as to how the City of Victoria is patrolled, and how available resources are distributed around town - only happen at the very highest levels.

That the average cop on the street is as frustrated as the cops who spoke to Mike is hardly surprising. It wouldn't be anything close to the first time that incredibly bad management caused nothing but grief for the workers down on the line.

• Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#9662 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:18 AM

Oh how I wish this could be published in the TC ...

VV members could make a point of sharing this info to their Facebook pages (as long FB still exists).

#9663 kjf

kjf
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:37 AM

The sense I got was that there aren't enough resources to station police in that area, the revolving door of the local justice system sees arrested individuals return to the streets immediately, and the directive from City Hall is to refrain from proactive practices which could be considered as unfairly targeting specific groups or unfairly labelling people who are loitering in a public place.

Centennial Square is absolute mayhem. It’s gross. And this is our civic square? Good grief.

"FIDO":

“Police officers across Canada are less likely to proactively investigate suspicious behaviour or persons these days than they were 10 years ago, and it’s out of fear of increased scrutiny, according to a new report out of Ottawa’s Carleton University.

Excerpt from https://globalnews.c...ctive-policing/

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#9664 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:25 AM

I'm sure VicPD officers would love to patrol the square and do some proactive enforcement in these areas, but for patrol members their resources are often so limited that they're going from call to call to call all shift.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

#9665 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:00 PM

I'm sure VicPD officers would love to patrol the square and do some proactive enforcement in these areas, but for patrol members their resources are often so limited that they're going from call to call to call all shift.

I believe that to be true.

I can't imagine any patrol officer even remotely condoning anything that's currently going on in Centennial Square.

Although I don't automatically buy into the belief that with 10 more new VicPD recruits, issues like Centennial Square will suddenly go away, the manpower shortfall discussion certainly falls within the VicPD managements obligation to effectively communicate to the relevant parties, something they're not currently managing to do.

However you look at it though, it's VicPD managements job to fix - they can't just abdicate all responsibility and blame it on lack of money, the homeless, and the good weather.

Whether you choose to lay the blame at the Mayor, the Police Chief, the Police Board, a combination of all of them, or ???? - policing in Victoria currently is borderline on its ability to keep portions of the downtown core safe to walk around in during the day, and is most definitely failing completely to keep the downtown core safe to walk around in evenings and on into the night.

Stabbings, beatings, anonymous assault, petty crime, property damage, vehicle thefts, and on and on it goes. 

Somethings got to change, before thresholds are crossed that leave folks afraid to venture into the downtown core anytime other than 9:00 to 5:00 - Monday to Friday (and even then avoiding the assorted gathering places of the riff-raff that have completely taken over locations like Centennial Square).

Whether it's a VicPD manpower shortfall, or simply piss-poor management of currently available resources isn't particularly important to the discussion, and shouldn't be the talking point.

That the assorted levels of VidPD management effectively deal with whatever is "wrong", such that what Centennial Square has become doesn't happen in the first place is what's important.

#9666 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

Hasn’t a threshold been crossed? 600% increase in parkade car breakins year over year.
  • A Girl is No one likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9667 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:41 PM

And the verdict from City Hall is ..we need fewer cops.

• pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9668 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:08 PM

I always have to remind myself to refrain from ever blaming the beat cop ... the Constable you usually wind up seeing at a violent situation like occurred last night in the Square.
Even though the average cop has a limited amount of personal discretion as to where he/she goes at any given point in time, if your boss doesn't assign you to patrol Centennial Square, then you don't patrol Centennial Square.

Crap always flows downhill, and major decisions as to how the City of Victoria is patrolled, and how available resources are distributed around town - only happen at the very highest levels.

That the average cop on the street is as frustrated as the cops who spoke to Mike is hardly surprising. It wouldn't be anything close to the first time that incredibly bad management caused nothing but grief for the workers down on the line.

I agree. I really feel for the cops. I think their hands are tied. Their jobs became more dangerous because of this misguided leadership (bad hombres are not afraid of cops anymore, and we see that by the number of assaults on police officers), those same bad apples are also above the law, lest their feelings get hurt, and the general public, which would normally be on the police’s side no longer respects them because the police officers no longer do do what they are supposed to be doing. They spend more time kowtowing to the criminals than actually helping keep the law abiding citizens safe. I’ve said it before: I don’t understand why their union doesn’t say my thing about this. Anyone knows why that is?

#9669 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:11 PM

“Investigators believe that Christopher Elliott may pose a threat to members of the public and need to locate him as soon as possible.”

“…frequently seen in downtown Victoria, including the 900-block of Pandora Avenue”

More info and a fuller description:

http://vicpd.ca/node/1892

Attached Images

• Christopher ELLIOTT.jpg

#9670 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:33 PM

Major incident playing out in the 100-block of Gorge Road East. An individual is barricaded inside the Ramada, and there is the possibility of guns involved.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9671 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:48 AM

Anything on the assault on Broughton last night? Someone is in critical condition from a reporr day unprovoked attack. ☹️

#9672 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

Another one last night?

There was an incident that occurred on Saturday morning (3AM). An individual was struck by an "object" in the alleyway behind the Strath complex and has potentially life-threatening injuries.

Know it all.

#9673 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:58 AM

On Broughton or behind the Strath in the alley? There is no update on that one, from early Saturday morning.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9674 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

Could be the same.. i might be confused.

#9675 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:30 AM

Another one last night?

There was an incident that occurred on Saturday morning (3AM). An individual was struck by an "object" in the alleyway behind the Strath complex and has potentially life-threatening injuries.

Yeah that one... my bad... I’d swear I read Broughton street somewhere but can’t find it anymore, do it must be the one you refer to.

#9676 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:32 AM

The alley runs from Broughton to Courtney.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#9677 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:22 PM

Hooray for Cressida Dick, the commissioner of the Metropolitan Police in London, who has formally led her force in abandoning its policy of automatically believing victims of sexual assault.

As The Times of London reported Monday, since taking over the Met about a year ago, Dick has told her officers that of course they are to keep an open mind, treat complainants with respect and dignity and “we should listen to them. We should record what they say.”

But, Dick said, “From that moment on, we are investigators.”

http://nationalpost....-always-victims
  • kjf and A Girl is No one like this

#9678 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:39 PM

In California, if a woman shoots three unrelated people at a workplace, then kills herself, it might just be a "domestic dispute".

Woman shoots 3, self at YouTube in possible domestic dispute

http://www.startribu...tube/478686793/

#9679 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:11 PM

...and she is a... wait for it... "Middle Eastern woman", of course.

https://www.washingt...shooter-report/

What's new. 

Nasim Aghdam

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 April 2018 - 08:11 PM.

#9680 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:52 PM

...and she is a... wait for it... "Middle Eastern woman", of course.

What's new. 

Persian, not Arab; near Turkey. And from the Baha'i faith, they are known as being pretty chill--non-violent. This sounds like a mental illness issue.

---

Saanich Police are investigating the theft of four rare Bonsai Trees from the Gardens at the Horticultural Centre of the Pacific. The trees are valued at $1000.00 each, for a total of $4000.00 worth of trees stolen.

If you know who stole these rare Bonsai Trees, or where they are, and you would like to remain 100% anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or leave a web-tip at victoriacrimestoppers.ca

29790269_1607155352671589_54209833096717

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

David Bratzer