The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21540 replies to this topic

#10501 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:58 PM

We need three strike laws here. Three strikes and you go away for life.

#10502 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:08 PM

No we don't. 

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10503 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:20 PM

Definitely not.

#10504 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:04 PM

Just drove through Cook Street Village. Police tape is up, condoning off all of Southgate Street right at Cook Street. A couple of police cruisers were there, along with a cube van stopped about halfway between Cook and Vancouver Streets.

#10505 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:45 PM

Just drove through Cook Street Village. Police tape is up, condoning off all of Southgate Street right at Cook Street. A couple of police cruisers were there, along with a cube van stopped about halfway between Cook and Vancouver Streets.

Victoria police and SWAT on scene of incident on Southgate street

https://www.cheknews...eet-476752/amp/

#10506 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:54 PM

VicPD have confirmed they have a suspect in custody now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10507 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:57 AM

Any word on what happened on Southgate? When we walked home from Symphony Splash they still had Southgate blocked off.

#10508 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:31 AM

Interesting reading those old newspapers. With a morning and afternoon paper, news came out fast, often with the perp's home address! I don't know how accurate or biased it was but if anything it was too much information. Compared with today with local police being as secretive as the Politburo and the decimation of local news media. We may never know more than a few words about what happened on Southgate. We are still waiting to hear about the body found last week near Cowichan that everyone suspects is Gladys Barlow.

• sebberry, mbjj and rmpeers like this

#10509 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:14 PM

The Times Communist has a brief article that says people on Southgate street were evacuated out of the standard “abundance of precaution” and a suspect was arrested and taken to hospital. Apparently, privacy precludes them from saying anything more.

We also never heard back about the dead body they found in Pioneer park a month or two ago. Had it been OD they would have said.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 06 August 2018 - 04:16 PM.

#10510 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:57 PM

It was related to someone who claimed to have a gun in the apartment building there, but sounds like just mental health issues (again) in the end. If you're curious you can always listen to the CREST radio online (although it's being encrypted soon) rather than wait 2 days for a media release to come out. Or join that Howie guy's "What the hell just happened" facebook page..

• Begraben and A Girl is No one like this

#10511 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:26 PM

Frankly, I would be happy with a thirty strikes law.  Even a fifty strikes law would work wonders.  Fifty criminal convictions and you get a five year federal prison term.

• lanforod, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#10512 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:54 AM

If you're curious you can always listen to the CREST radio online (although it's being encrypted soon) rather than wait 2 days for a media release to come out....

Brief CREST rant to follow:

CREST is currently in the process of implementing the P-25 protocol, which can be encrypted, but isn't always encrypted.

They're not expected to have the system fully in place until sometime after 2020.

Trunked, digital radio (P-25) is quite different from trunked, digital, encrypted P-25 radio ... yet both are possible with the P-25 system.

Any $400 or $500 trunking scanner can pick up unencrypted P-25 transmissions.

I've not found one solid reference to confirm that any of the CREST services are definitely going to encrypt their transmissions, a process which carries with it a lot of technical issues as well as issues with transparency and secrecy of law enforcement. They could encrypt their transmissions (at great additional cost), or they could leave them unencrypted.

The reason CREST is going to P-25 is not specifically so they can encrypt their transmissions, rather it's the major upgrade to the system moving from an analog/digital hybrid to an all digital system.

Reality Check: it's likely that rank'n'file and Officers/Admin in the various police departments will want to encrypt their transmissions, to possibly receive push-back from politicians and private citizens. If one department wishes to pursue that process, it would result in all CREST departments being required to pursue that process, something that may or may not be possible in our 13 kingdom region called the CRD.

Encryption is already a fact of life in the Lower Mainland, so folks presume it's automatically going to be a fact of life with CREST, whereas it may not be.

Simply put ... upgrading to the P-25 system doesn't automatically imply encrypted communications.

Regardless, nothing is going to happen until after 2020 (if it happens at all).

#10513 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:50 AM

All Police agencies here will be encrypted.
  • David Bratzer likes this

#10514 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

All Police agencies here will be encrypted.

That's too bad. I just discovered that Howie Allan's Facebook group. It can be quite useful and entertaining. They just hit the 8000 member mark. That's a lot of eyes and ears out there reporting on up to the minute events happening in this burg. It's also a lot of ridiculous opinions and idiotic statements made by some basement-dwelling trolls who lurk there...but, hey....there's a lot of real time info to be mined.

• Midnightly likes this

#10515 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

I've posted in longer form before and honestly cannot be bothered to write it all out again, however, the public has literally no entitlement to the information that goes over Police radio. There's regularly medical / mental health broadcast, a slew of allegations that quickly turn out to be untrue, etc. This should have been encrypted decades ago when privacy law was introduced, but it was always a cost / benefit thing.
  • Nparker and Kilo95 like this

#10516 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:34 PM

No we don't. 

We actually agree on something! Shocking.

Tossing people into jail does very little except spend a great deal of money keeping them in jail and then even more money once they get out.

#10517 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:54 PM

........the public has literally no entitlement to the information that goes over Police radio.......

That's certainly a highly personal opinion, but really nothing more than that ... and certainly carrying no more weight than the opinion of those folks who consider law enforcement encryption of their radio transmissions an effort to hide ones activities (which is exactly what encryption was designed for, and is intended to do!)

The simple truth is that cops everywhere don't like to be listened to, video taped, or otherwise have their activities recorded to any sort of permanent record (see the Robert Dziekanski file for the reason why).

The lay-public isn't stupid ... and nobody is buying the "privacy law" argument. 

As well, it's a false sense of security on the part of law enforcement, as P-25 encryption was broken in 2011, and remains highly vulnerable to those who would listen in for nefarious purposes (it's only the regular Joe Blow radio scanner dude who will be affected by encryption).

https://tech.slashdo...-P25-Encryption

#10518 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:06 PM

The real purpose behind encrypting is to stop all the news trucks from converging on scenes.

#10519 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:42 PM

It looks like we have a firebug in our 'hood. We are on Frederick Norris just off Henderson by UVic

A few days ago I was working in my driveway when I heard a 'woomp' and looked down at the end of the cul de sac and saw a big plume of smoke...took me a minute to process and then realise this isnt right. Ran over with the daughters boyfriend and found the homeowner frantically hosing down his classic '92 911 Turbo, poor guy was breathing some serious fumes, took about 5 mins for fire/ambulance/police to arrive and they carted him off for a few hours of oxygen at RJH.

Police said it was most likely rats chewing the wiring etc....ok fair enough, common occurrence....poor guy going to have a fight with ICBC to get the real value of the car which is in excess of $100k (some are selling in the 200's...)

Then yesterday mid-morning another fire on the same street about 8 houses over, similar, carport fire except no car there but a woodpile. Some guys were driving past and jumped into action. I got home about an hour after and saw the fire and police there....a few hours later talking with the neighbours it turns out they found a gas can in the blue wheely bin that was full of newspapers....looked like the owners can and it was empty but the bin stank of gasoline. 

Than last night, I'm just leaving at 7 and look down the cul de sac and the fire trucks are back as well as the police....another fire in the same location as the first fire.....

These are now getting into lottery ticket odds and I'm thinking maybe it wasnt rats of the animal variety that torched the Porsche...

Quite un-nerving and definitely makes you look around your own property to make sure the gas cans etc are secured out of plain view  

This morning I get a message request through FB from the OB News wanting my comments...I told her let the police do their job and anything outside of that is conjecture....

https://www.saanichn...-oak-bay-fires/

#10520 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

We actually agree on something! Shocking.

Tossing people into jail does very little except spend a great deal of money keeping them in jail and then even more money once they get out.

Don't let them out. That's the point. Is there really any reason to let a chronic offender out of prison? I can't think of a single reason at all.

Edited by PraiseKek, 07 August 2018 - 04:17 PM.

• Wayne and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users