• Please log in to reply
21582 replies to this topic

#10521 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:19 PM

This individual was supposed to appear in court today, but I don't see anything on the Victoria court list related to this today.

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10522 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:46 PM

Don't let them out. That's the point. Is there really any reason to let a chronic offender out of prison? I can't think of a single reason at all.

2 prior VicPD Chiefs discussed with me on separate occasions that if they could detain 20 people downtown they could cut theft and vandalism and assault crimes downtown by more than 1/2.
  • sebberry, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#10523 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:00 PM

Frankly, I would be happy with a thirty strikes law.  Even a fifty strikes law would work wonders.  Fifty criminal convictions and you get a five year federal prison term.

That is a pretty sad indictment of our "justice" system. Maybe we should be giving them frequent flyer miles.

• David Bratzer, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10524 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:00 PM

That is a pretty sad indictment of our "justice" system. Maybe we should be giving them frequent flyer miles.

Yeah and to be clear I'm not a "lock 'em up and throw away the key" type of police officer. However, I do think that after thirty, forty or fifty convictions with a variety of sentences in the provincial correctional system, maybe it's time for something different.  The federal correctional system has different levels of accountability, security, services, education and training opportunities compared to the provincial correctional system here in British Columbia.

• Mike K., LJ, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#10525 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:42 AM

This sounds like some bizarre new plan to send the compulsive shoplifter away to a Federal Penitentiary for life.

Thank God we live in Canada, where courts render such decisions, not police or private citizens who think they know better.

How about first ensuring that police are actually enforcing the laws that are already on the books, and enforcing them equally  - across the board ... at least before we decide that some miscreant needs to go to a Federal penitentiary for life.

#10526 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:04 AM

I am always amazed when people believe the justice system actually reforms.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#10527 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:25 AM

Yeah and to be clear I'm not a "lock 'em up and throw away the key" type of police officer. However, I do think that after thirty, forty or fifty convictions with a variety of sentences in the provincial correctional system, maybe it's time for something different.  The federal correctional system has different levels of accountability, security, services, education and training opportunities compared to the provincial correctional system here in British Columbia.

Agreed, its the old definition of insanity.... doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

If someone has a rap sheet going into the multiple dozens they are not likely to all of a sudden change their ways and reform to become contributing members of society. They will continue to be a drain on society. So perhaps an ultimatum is in order or as the saying goes 

“Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.”

They know the system and how to manipulate it to their advantage....so perhaps its time to change it up, like instead of jail its the fireline in the middle of nowhere for a few months

This sounds like some bizarre new plan to send the compulsive shoplifter away to a Federal Penitentiary for life.

Thank God we live in Canada, where courts render such decisions, not police or private citizens who think they know better.

How about first ensuring that police are actually enforcing the laws that are already on the books, and enforcing them equally  - across the board ... at least before we decide that some miscreant needs to go to a Federal penitentiary for life.

But therein lies the problem, the Courts are not doing their job effectively for a subset of society and the end result is massive investment of resources to work with a few and no change in circumstances. I think the police are 'actually enforcing the laws that are on the books' its the Crown Prosecution service that considers the laying of charges and then what they do if it goes that far is plea it down as they dont have the resources to follow through in the system....so Johnny may have been charged for several B&E's, caught fencing stolen property, possession of housebreaking tools, perhaps drugs and a weapon and this is his 20th or 40th charge and the Crown (folks like Nils Jensen) determine the likelihood of conviction etc and they work with the taxpayer under-funded public defender and plea it down to a B&E and wit the 30 days already served they go in front of the judge and he gets another 30 days and then he's out, clean clothes, a few weeks of proper food, a medical checkup and a haircut ready to play the game all over again 

• Mike K., pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#10528 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:28 AM

The guy who was taken down by security guards at Uptown has a rap sheet three pages long on the online court records system. And that's only for the Victoria Law Courts. Who knows what else and where else he's been criminally active.

Meanwhile people actually went to his defence arguing that he was the victim. Unreal.

• martini, sebberry, Love the rock and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10529 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:34 AM

And the woman starting fires on rjag's road appeared n "Victoria's integrated court system" apparently a special court for people with challenges.  Hence why nothing appearing on the court list for the 7th.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10530 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:10 PM

The guy who was taken down by security guards at Uptown has a rap sheet three pages long on the online court records system. And that's only for the Victoria Law Courts. Who knows what else and where else he's been criminally active.

Meanwhile people actually went to his defence arguing that he was the victim. Unreal.

yeah I thought the same. What the heck is going on in people’s minds... i really would like to understand what logic they use to reach these conclusions.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 08 August 2018 - 06:10 PM.

• martini likes this

#10531 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:14 PM

And the woman starting fires on rjag's road appeared n "Victoria's integrated court system" apparently a special court for people with challenges. Hence why nothing appearing on the court list for the 7th.

Yes, special courts are multiplying: special courts for drug addicts and people with mental health issues, special courts for Indigenous people, etc. All of these seem to absolve the culprits of their crimes. The rest of the population however has to live up to a different set of standards (thank goodness!). How long is the rest of the population going to put up with these double standards, I wonder? We’ll have to wait and see.

#10532 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:37 PM

Ina motors has posted on Facebook that a 2006 Ford F250 super duty was stolen from their downtown Victoria lot

https://m.facebook.c...733211250046981

#10533 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:21 AM

- Beacon Hill Park Sexual Assault Investigation Underway -

Victoria, BC- Officers investigating a report of a sexual assault in the early morning hours of Sunday, August 12 th in Beacon Hill Park near the intersection of Douglas and Superior streets.
The victim reported that she was walking home and stopped at the park where she became briefly unconscious. When she regained consciousness a few moments later, a male she did not know was touching her. She left the area and called a family member who in turn called police. The incident occurred between 2:20 and 3:10 a.m. The victim did not require medical treatment, but has been offered additional support.

The suspect is described as a Caucasian male in his forties, standing five feet, five inches tall with a medium build and full, dark beard.

Investigators are aware of an indecent act which was reported a short distance away in the evening of Thursday, August 9 th , 2018. It is currently unclear if these two incidents are related. In both of these incidents, the victims were able to get themselves to safety and then call for help. Our investigations into both incidents continues.

If you recognize this suspect or have information about this incident you are asked to call our non-emergency line at 250.995.7654. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1.800.222.8477.
Our officers want all survivors of sexualized violence to know that we believe you. For resources, please visit https://vicpd.ca/webelieveyou .

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10534 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

The attackers tent was probably less than 50' away.

The cops and politico's allow miscreants to camp in Beacon Hill Park and then express shock and surprise when crimes occur?

Despite the B.C. Supreme Court order allowing campers overnight, the increase in violent crime in the park should override that ruling, and even if it doesn't - The COV has a very strong case to make banning all camping in Beacon Hill Park in order to restore safety and order to the area.

Enact a complete (and immediate) ban on camping due to rapidly rising crime and citizen safety concerns ... and let the legal cards fall where they may.

• Hotel Mike, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#10535 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:31 AM

I'm under the impression there's some kind of legal precedent here where you need a court injunction to get rid of these camps. If that's the case whatever happened to the concept of our legislative and executive branches being supreme to the judicial branch? Do municipal governments need a permission slip from a judge to enforce other laws?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#10536 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

I'm under the impression there's some kind of legal precedent here where you need a court injunction to get rid of these camps. If that's the case whatever happened to the concept of our legislative and executive branches being supreme to the judicial branch? Do municipal governments need a permission slip from a judge to enforce other laws?

It's because they are city by-laws, not provincial or federal codes. So (correct me if I'm wrong) a person can only be fined, not arrested. Once an injunction is granted, it gives police the authority to arrest those who do not comply. 

#10537 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:53 AM

I think the injunction takes into account that nobody in a "tent city" is going to go peacefully, and therefore the injunction gives blanket legal authority to specifically do whatever it takes to get the specific folks in that specific tent city out of there.

I'm not sure the injunction authorizes arrest, as we saw with Chrissy Brett and her arrest at Uptown Tent city ... an arrest that occurred with no injunction in place.

Injunction or no injunction ... apparently if the cops feel you're breaking a law (which may not be camping, but may be kicking a cop in the kneecap) , they can and will arrest you.

#10538 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:35 PM

I think the injunction takes into account that nobody in a "tent city" is going to go peacefully, and therefore the injunction gives blanket legal authority to specifically do whatever it takes to get the specific folks in that specific tent city out of there.

I'm not sure the injunction authorizes arrest, as we saw with Chrissy Brett and her arrest at Uptown Tent city ... an arrest that occurred with no injunction in place.

Injunction or no injunction ... apparently if the cops feel you're breaking a law (which may not be camping, but may be kicking a cop in the kneecap) , they can and will arrest you.

Oh absolutely, if you are breaking some other law they certainly can arrest. (ie in Brett's case: preventing the firefighters from doing their job). But they can't arrest you for not packing up your tent and leaving without the injunction. 

#10539 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:40 PM

Any idea what’s going on on View and Cook? Lots of police, ambulance. Whole block closed for an hour.

#10540 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:16 PM

Motor vehicle incident involving a motorcycle. Sounds bad.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)