Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21434 replies to this topic

#10581 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 06:27 AM

Yes these tent cities are full of criminals that use the homeless to give them some cover to operate. 

The cost to the taxpayer to have the police and fire department monitor this activity and can do nothing is huge.

• Nparker likes this

#10582 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 07:40 AM

Also if some of the people in the camp are genuinely vulnerable homeless people, why are "advocates" allowing them to be surrounded by gang members, drug dealers, etc? How is that helping them?
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#10583 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 07:57 AM

the advocates are unlikely to have much say over who lives at the camp.  jason sheena has been arrested at least twice locally on firearms charges.  probably nobody is gonna refuse him camp access.  even jordan peterson will tell you that a situation like this will evolve into some type of hierarchy system.  and sheena and nortenos will be at or near the top.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 September 2018 - 07:59 AM.

#10584 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:34 AM

the advocates are unlikely to have much say over who lives at the camp. jason sheena has been arrested at least twice locally on firearms charges. probably nobody is gonna refuse him camp access. even jordan peterson will tell you that a situation like this will evolve into some type of hierarchy system. and sheena and nortenos will be at or near the top.

Perhaps the advocates need to start being honest and admit that their camp is not the utopian village they claim it to be but that it has been infiltrated by criminal elements who profit from the genuine homeless folks and use them as cover. They'd be doing a lot more to help their cause if they were honest about that. Because otherwise a cynic might think they are there to advocate for organized crime, i.e. the very people who keep vulnerable people trapped in the cycle of homelessness and addiction. So whose side are the advocates on?

Edited by rmpeers, 01 September 2018 - 08:35 AM.

• Nparker, Bingo, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#10585 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:53 AM

i think the advocates feel that living among criminals and drug dealers is better than living in a situation where you must pack up your belongings daily.  and presumably the campers also feel this way at least the ones that can make their own rational decision on it. except on foul weather days this camp is likely more appealing than 844 johnson to some.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 September 2018 - 08:54 AM.

#10586 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:56 AM

i think the advocates feel that living among criminals and drug dealers is better than living in a situation where you must pack up your belongings daily.  and presumably the campers also feel this way at least the ones that can make their own rational decision on it. except on foul weather days this camp is likely more appealing than 844 johnson to some.

I think that the advocates feel that speaking out against the criminal element is a poor choice and lets face it, Ashley and Chrissy don't live there anyways. 

These situations always devolve to the "Lord of the Flies" type scenarios. 

• Nparker likes this

#10587 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:59 AM

Also if some of the people in the camp are genuinely vulnerable homeless people, why are "advocates" allowing them to be surrounded by gang members, drug dealers, etc? How is that helping them?

The more people there are in the camp, the more attention (money) they and their organizations get.

Must be a fine balancing act for the advocates. On the one hand they want you to believe that the campers are a bunch of well organized, responsible individuals who can care and look out for themselves. On the other hand they want you to believe that the campers are so incompetent and incapable that they cannot get jobs or roommates and work towards affording their own place to live. 

I was at the Macdonalds by Uptown the other day and a camper came up to me and asked that I buy him some fries. I told him that I wouldn't give him money but would buy him food. As we were waiting for the fries he volunteers that he is new in town and it is impossible to find a job. I replied that all he had to do was check and make sure he still had a pulse and he could get a job at $15 an hour pretty much anywhere he wanted to work. He then said that since he was a user nobody would hire him. I again replied that as long as he could show up for work on time sober nobody would care what he did on his off time. He then started with another excuse and I just cut him off.

When his fries arrived with my food he then asked if I would buy him a pop. I told him he could get a cup of water for free. Some other camper then comes up and says "this is how it is done". He goes to the counter and asks for water to which the cashier gives him a cup. He then takes the cup to the pop machine and fills it up!

Edited by spanky123, 01 September 2018 - 10:06 AM.

• Nparker and martini like this

#10588 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

...On the one hand they want you to believe that the campers are a bunch of well organized, responsible individuals who can care and look out for themselves. On the other hand they want you to believe that the campers are so incompetent and incapable that they cannot get jobs or roommates and work towards affording their own place to live...

This is the crux of the matter in a nutshell.

• martini, GaryRanson, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#10589 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

Looks like one Christine Margery Brett will be required to enter a plea on the charge of "obstruct a person in the execution of his/her duty" at 9;00 AM tomorrow September 17 in the Victoria courtroom #103.

https://justice.gov....ID=5908365.0009

Edit: Sorry the link does not seem to work with search results for Online Court Services. 

• Nparker, RFS and lanforod like this

#10590 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:33 AM

99% chance it does not happen tomorrow.  it will just be delayed to a later date.  she likely has the taps people as her legal counsel.

#10591 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:37 AM

^ This will be her 3rd appearance on this charge. The last one was postponed to consult legal council. I think a "Plea" will need to be entered tomorrow. 

• Love the rock likes this

#10592 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:45 AM

oh, my error, i thought this was her air horn charge.  must be another.

#10593 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:49 AM

Vic PD is asking for the public's help in finding a cyclist who stole a raincoat from a 71 year old blind man yesterday afternoon just before 1 pm around the Douglas/Fort Street area. The coat also contained a special device that helped him with his sight. 

#10594 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:53 AM

I sooooo want to make a remark about the Fort Street bike lane aiding in the cyclists's getaway, but I won't.  ;)

• rjag, martini, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#10595 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

oh, my error, i thought this was her air horn charge.  must be another.

I think it is the air horn charge.

I am typing poorly this morning.

#10596 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

I sooooo want to make a remark about the Fort Street bike lane aiding in the cyclists's getaway, but I won't. ;)

Glad you didn’t because then I’d have to bring up Lisa’s statements about criminals being misunderstood and they just need a hug
  • Nparker, spanky123, martini and 2 others like this

#10597 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:10 PM

Tc reports 3 arrests after assault with weapon at Bastion square late Saturday night.
  • weirdie likes this

#10598 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:14 PM

99% chance it does not happen tomorrow.  it will just be delayed to a later date.  she likely has the taps people as her legal counsel.

You were 100% correct. Rescheduled by the defence to October 15.
  • martini likes this

#10599 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 04:01 PM

You gotta hand it to Chrissy's legal team, they know how to play the system like a finely tuned instrument. Undoubtedly they hope to eventually get the charge dismissed due to "administrative delays". I sometimes think Shakespeare was right.

• martini, Love the rock, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#10600 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:32 PM

Just got a text from the other half:

"Looks like the whole police department is at Centennial Square or just by the theatre"
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users

Seechelle1969, lanforod