The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21442 replies to this topic

#10741 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:25 PM

They smoke cigarettes with the drug dealers ... sadly, I'm not kidding

That may explain what I saw when I walked through.

#10742 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:25 PM

Social workers?

#10743 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:23 PM

Yup, it’s intense there. Maybe the physical confines of a square create a different mental state/territorial state for some folks who hang there?

Maybe it's staying to long in the place where they urinate. The smell probably affects their rational thinking.

#10744 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:31 PM

I walk home every day around the block surrounding Our Place and generally always feel safe and fine. You'll see depressing sights and uncomfortable situations, but nothing too scary.  Centenial Square though is the only place I've been yelled AT or followed,

When ever there's a stabbing or something it seems more often than not in Centennial square or that stretch of Douglas.

I don't know. I walked down Douglas past Johnson towards Pandora (where the bus stop is) and it gave me unease. It was like something out of a Walking Dead TV episode. street people riding their bikes on the sidewalk or milling about, someone asleep on the stairs in front of the shops (I recall they had security there for that building once) and some poor guy, walking with difficulty in a crooked line with his eyes fixed upward like he was on some really good high.

Edited by FawltyVic, 30 October 2018 - 09:33 PM.

#10745 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:00 AM

Convicted Victoria Killer Kelly Ellard has had her day parole extended, and she has gone through a legal name change. Her name is now 

Kerry Marie Sim

#10746 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:20 AM

Experienced my first bike equipment theft. Someone removed my bolted on headlight, tore through a steel mesh basket to remove it, all while I was locked up inside Market Square's "secure" bike storage. I am so pissed off at this town now. 12 years in Edmonton, no bike thefts, two years in Victoria and I lose my safety equipment. The hell?

• Awaiting Juno likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#10747 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:31 AM

I assume you reported this to a social worker.

#10748 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:43 AM

Have you all finished making your ridiculous jokes? No one is suggesting social workers should respond to reports of criminal activity and you know it. These comments are simply cruel.

More social workers, administering appropriate programs and supports, can reduce criminal activity. 

That is a reasonable subject for debate but if you would rather make stupid jokes about sending social workers to respond to a break and enter ...<shakes head>. 

• Rob Randall, gstc84, lanforod and 1 other like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#10749 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:00 AM

Have you all finished making your ridiculous jokes? No one is suggesting social workers should respond to reports of criminal activity and you know it. These comments are simply cruel.

More social workers, administering appropriate programs and supports, can reduce criminal activity. 

That is a reasonable subject for debate but if you would rather make stupid jokes about sending social workers to respond to a break and enter ...<shakes head>. 

tedward's right. Nobody would be sending social workers to an assault.

But when you've got Person A threatening suicide for the eleventh time, is sending VicPD to their home for the eleventh time the best use of our resources? Probably not.

• tedward, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10750 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:03 AM

I'll stop "joking" about it when the CoV council acknowledges that the employment of social workers is a provincial matter and not the responsibility of city governments.

• Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#10751 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:26 AM

I'll stop "joking" about it when the CoV council acknowledges that the employment of social workers is a provincial matter and not the responsibility of city governments.

If you stop running around in circles for a moment I will tell you how the ACT program is provincially funded and VICOT is mostly provincial with help from VicPD. Basically, VICOT gives the cops more tools to deal with besides chucking someone in the tank for a few hours.

• tedward and Awaiting Juno like this

#10752 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:07 PM

there is 24 hour security in the square but it's hard to know what they do.

I've asked security guards and I was told they can now only observe and report. They can no longer lay a hand on someone or intervene in a crime being committed unless someone's life is in danger, then it's their decision. It's because security companies don't want the expense of being taken to court and then paying out at the end. A guard who goes against these policies will be let go from employment and will find themselves under the bus that is driven by BC's legal system.

Edited by FawltyVic, 31 October 2018 - 12:13 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#10753 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:18 PM

I've asked security guards and I was told they can now only observe and report. They can no longer lay a hand on someone or intervene in a crime being committed unless someone's life is in danger, then it's their decision. It's because security companies don't want the expense of being taken to court and then paying out at the end. A guard who goes against these policies will be let go from employment and will find themselves under the bus that is driven by BC's legal system.

Security guards can make what's called a Citizen's Arrest if they chose to. But Security companies don't recommend it to their employees as it can be a dangerous thing where you can get hurt. A Citizen's arrest is the exact same arrest anyone can make to someone who is breaking the law if they chose to. However the catch is that you must physically read the persons arrest rights off a piece of paper or electronic text in order for the arrest to be valid. And then you have to call the police in order to complete the arrest.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 31 October 2018 - 11:19 PM.

#10754 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:45 AM

The security guards in Centennial Square are contracted by the COV, and as part of that contract they're required to not do anything to anybody, citizens arrest or otherwise.

They can only look.

Centennial Square security guards sit in their booth and watch people go in and out of the parkade bathroom.

#10755 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:23 AM

Sounds like there was an arsonist running around last night.  Two suspicious fires in the 3000 block of Alder street and I think a couple more later in the night elsewhere.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10756 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:52 AM

Arrest made for the Hallowe’en night fires:

A 31-year-old woman has been arrested in connection to suspicious fires that were sparked in Saanich and Victoria on Halloween night.

Saanich police say the woman, who has no fixed address, was arrested on Friday and charged with one count of arson in relation to inhabited property in the City of Victoria and one count of arson damaging property in the Municipality of Saanich.

The woman is in custody and is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.

https://www.cheknews...ria-505323/amp/

#10757 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:37 AM

That house is part of the "Topaz Heights" post-war development adjacent to Topaz Park.

#10758 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:42 AM

that's certainly a theory but unproven anywhere in north america so it just remains a theory.

now give drug users free food and housing and you might save them from breaking into a few car windows for spare change but giving drug users free anything encourages more drug users to saddle on up to the system.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 November 2018 - 08:45 AM.

• Wayne and Midnightly like this

#10759 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:23 PM

The Victoria Law Courts has been evacuated.

More to come.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10760 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:28 PM

Occupants have been ushered into the Christ Church Cathedral to stay warm.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)