The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
11614 replies to this topic

#10901 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,975 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:32 PM

On February 15th, 2017, VicPD notified the public that Blair Young was missing. He had not been heard from by his family for over a week. The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit (VIIMCU) took over the investigation and worked with VicPD investigators.  The investigation into his disappearance continued until March 2nd, 2017, when Blair’s body was located on the Malahat.

The investigation is active and ongoing today, and investigators are asking for the public’s assistance. 

Investigators are releasing footage of Blair Young leaving his apartment building for the last time on February 8th, 2017 in the hopes that somebody will come forward with new information.

Homicide investigations are complex, and can be lengthy undertakings. Investigators are releasing the video and asking the public to come forward to help bring closure to Blair’s family. Investigators are asking anyone who has any information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, to please call us on the VIIMCU information line at 250-380-6211. There is no information to suggest that the public is at risk.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10902 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:06 PM

On the surface, it would appear that releasing footage of a murder victim leaving his apartment in the period prior to his murder likely couldn't do much to further the investigation ... but without VicPD making specific note of it, Mr. Young appears in the video to have the hood of his jacket up, and a baseball cap placed over top of that jacket hood.

Perhaps an odd combination of head wear for a guy leaving his apartment?

Was he trying to conceal his face?

Is there a message being sent by VicPD in releasing this otherwise quite short, and quite odd bit of video footage?

#10903 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:50 PM

police say they have suspects. and his banking and credit cards were used on the mainland to the tune of $30,000 after he went missing.

#10904 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,975 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:55 AM

Just to add to the above, the card was used both locally and on the mainland.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10905 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,975 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:49 PM

This press release refers to a single woman, not women, and sluppled is meant to read slumped.

Release:

Women sluppled over the wheel, police locate suspected Opioid
West Shore

A West Shore police officer was patrolling a neighbourhood in Langford at about 1:00 am on March 12th 2019, when he came across a vehicle parked at the curb on Hoffman Avenue at Winster Road.

The officer noticed there was a woman slumped over the wheel and initiated a traffic stop to check on her well being. In speaking with the women the officer observed signs of drug impairment. During the interaction the officer also noticed the women had a bag of white powered substance (suspected to be an Opioid), on her person.

The woman was arrested for Possession of a Controlled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking. A search of her person yielded 14 grams of the suspected Opioid which was seized by police.

"Opioid's are known to be highly addictive and can often be deadly. This amount of suspected Opioid was likely going to be trafficked into the West Shore community and was stopped solely due to the frontline officer's investigation. Yet another example of the great work being done by our frontline officers", said Cst. Nancy Saggar, Media Relations Officer for the West Shore RCMP.

In addition to this, the officer pursued an impaired driving investigation which included the use of a Drug Recognition Expert who determined that the woman was intoxicated by drugs and not able to safely operate a motor vehicle. The woman was the lone occupant of the vehicle. She was released by police and issued a 24 hour prohibition from driving. The vehicle was also impounded. The investigation is on going and once completed police expect she will be summoned to court regarding the above matters.

Know it all.

#10906 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,501 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:52 PM

"Opioid's are known to be highly addictive and can often be deadly. This amount of suspected Opioid was likely going to be trafficked into the West Shore community and was stopped solely due to the front line officer's investigation. Yet another example of the great work being done by our front line officers", said Cst. Nancy Saggar, Media Relations Officer for the West Shore RCMP.

Can you imagine how this same press release might have appeared if it had been vetted by one of the Victoria police board co-chairs?

• Daveyboy and Victoria Watcher like this

#10907 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:51 AM

Photos of the guns are on our pro-car Facebook page.

🚔 Weapons Trafficking intercepted by West Shore RCMP Crime Reduction Unit🚔

On March 2nd, 2019 the West Shore RCMP Crime Reduction unit undertook a weapons trafficking investigation in the West Shore area.

The firearm shown above is a semi-automatic SKS rifle. Investigators advise that the SKS rifle had been altered to include an aftermarket synthetic stock as well as a prohibited 21 round magazine.

The Crime Reduction Unit's mandate is to target drug dealers and prolific offenders in the West Shore. Through their use of intelligence, technology, and old fashion police work, they identified a male suspect who police believe was attempting to trade a firearm(s) for street drugs.

The investigation lead them to execute a search warrant at a residence in Langford where three firearms as well as hundreds of rounds of ammunition were seized. All firearms and ammunition where stored in an unsafe manner contrary to the Criminal Code of Canada.

Crime Reduction Unit member, Constable David MACDONALD said, This seizure of firearms and ammunition is a direct result of street level drug trafficking. The dangers of drug trafficking effect all communities in the Victoria area. The West Shore Crime Reduction unit will continue to aggressively investigate drug traffickers.

The investigation is on going with evidence remaining to be examined. A report recommending charges of weapons trafficking and unsafe storage of a firearm will be forwarded to Provincial Court at a later date.

Know it all.

#10908 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

The firearm shown above is a semi-automatic SKS rifle. Investigators advise that the SKS rifle had been altered to include an aftermarket synthetic stock as well as a prohibited 21 round magazine.

I think you can pick up an SKS with a synthetic folding stock and tactical furniture as a non-restricted semi-auto rifle for around $350, and it was more likely a 20 round magazine, possibly made from one of the 20 round magazines you can buy that are pegged to a 5 round capacity.  

I'm a little bothered by their attempt to spin this as some kind of "oooh, scarey!" piece of rifle tech - it's a 1940s rifle design that's incredibly popular in Canada right now because of Chinese surplus and cheap ammo.

In Victoria alone, I know at least 3 friends or friends-of-friends who have one.

#10909 RFS

RFS
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:24 AM

I'm a little bothered by their attempt to spin this as some kind of "oooh, scarey!" piece of rifle tech

That's literally anti-gun propaganda 101

#10910 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,996 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:24 AM

I'm a little bothered by their attempt to spin this as some kind of "oooh, scarey!" piece of rifle tech - it's a 1940s rifle design that's incredibly popular in Canada right now because of Chinese surplus and cheap ammo.

With a 21 round magazine, let me tell you, if I see a guy walk into a movie theatre carrying one I don't mind admitting that yes, I would be scared.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#10911 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,527 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:28 AM

$229 at Cabelas. They will deliver it right to your door (as long as your door address is the same as your PAL address)

https://www.cabelas....-hardwood-stock

#10912 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 846 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:28 AM

I think you can pick up an SKS with a synthetic folding stock and tactical furniture as a non-restricted semi-auto rifle for around $350, and it was more likely a 20 round magazine, possibly made from one of the 20 round magazines you can buy that are pegged to a 5 round capacity.  

In Victoria alone, I know at least 3 friends or friends-of-friends who have one.

I've got one, (though it looks much more like an original 1940s version)  they're dirt cheap, non-restricted, and a lot of fun on the range. It was about $200 for the older-style model with wooden furniture.

The 20 round mag is certainly illegal though.

• Mike K. likes this

#10913 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

There are guys in Victoria with AK’s, for gosh sake. And legal ones to boot.

Jason’s right. That’s a common rifle, as common as they get. They look mean because that’s part of the appeal to some, but it’s the same thing essentially that grandpa has on the farm.

Yes, guns are scary, and yes, they should not be in the hands of criminals. But when you see comments on Facebook like “there is no reason anyone should ever own a gun like that” you realize people know only what the media tells them about firearms.

Know it all.

#10914 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 846 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:49 AM

There are guys in Victoria with AK’s, for gosh sake. And legal ones to boot.

Jason’s right. That’s a common rifle, as common as they get. They look mean because that’s part of the appeal to some, but it’s the same thing essentially that grandpa has on the farm.

Yes, guns are scary, and yes, they should not be in the hands of criminals. But when you see comments on Facebook like “there is no reason anyone should ever own a gun like that” you realize people know only what the media tells them about firearms.

Well there are WR762s and CZ858, (Czech and Canadian knock offs) not honest to goodness Kalashnikovs. Real AKs are 100% prohibited. 

Edited by Mattjvd, 14 March 2019 - 11:50 AM.

#10915 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:02 PM

Through their use of intelligence, technology, and old fashion police work

i'll guess that even the officers laugh at some of these type of statements.

intelligence = the detachment receives a complaint phone call

technology = dispatch beeps a cop in his cruiser

ofpw = the officer knows the street location and how to get there without having to look it up

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 March 2019 - 12:05 PM.

#10916 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

Well there are WR762s and CZ858, (Czech and Canadian knock offs) not honest to goodness Kalashnikovs. Real AKs are 100% prohibited. 

If you owned one prior to their ban you're grandfathered. The gun must also be converted to semi-auto.

Know it all.

#10917 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 846 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

If you owned one prior to their ban you're grandfathered. The gun must also be converted to semi-auto.

Huh, I was under the impression there never was a period in which they were legal. 

#10918 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:52 PM

Huh, I was under the impression there never was a period in which they were legal. 

I believe the restrictions didn't kick in until 1998 or so; guns registered before then are grandfathered.

#10919 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:58 AM

It's not Victoria, but wow.

19 year old in Nanaimo is stopped for riding a bike without a helmet, police recognize the bike as possibly stolen, run the serial number, arrest the kid for possession of stolen property, then find out he's wanted in connection with a shooting in Toronto.

via https://www.citynews...eads-to-arrest/

#10920 RFS

RFS
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:01 AM

It's not Victoria, but wow.

19 year old in Nanaimo is stopped for riding a bike without a helmet, police recognize the bike as possibly stolen, run the serial number, arrest the kid for possession of stolen property, then find out he's wanted in connection with a shooting in Toronto.

via https://www.citynews...eads-to-arrest/

Never would have happened in Victoria. He'd still be riding around on his stolen bike

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Daveyboy