Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21544 replies to this topic

#11041 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:33 AM

You wouldn't think a hotel with its mostly credit transactions would be an easy place to steal cash. Why do they even have large amounts of cash unless the restaurant's take is also put there? Don't they have a drop safe or a timed safe? Why would HoJo put their employees at risk by giving them a combination to a safe full of cash in a hotel in the middle of the night?

• jonny likes this

#11042 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:04 PM

Scary stuff. A long time ago when I was working as a hotel night auditor in college, I was a little uncomfortable being the only employee in the building from about 1am to 5:30am. I never really considered being robbed, but I was always worried about groups of drunk roudy guests. When a room calls to complain about noise from a party at 2am it can get a bit dicey when one guys asks 12 people to keep the noise down (if they are feeling agressive). Only had the call the police once, thankfully.
  • Mike K. likes this

#11043 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

You wouldn't think a hotel with its mostly credit transactions would be an easy place to steal cash. Why do they even have large amounts of cash unless the restaurant's take is also put there? Don't they have a drop safe or a timed safe? Why would HoJo put their employees at risk by giving them a combination to a safe full of cash in a hotel in the middle of the night?

that's rt'sexactly why this points to ba serious security  lapse and/or inside information here.

• martini likes this

#11044 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:06 AM

Maybe I read it here or somewhere else that the timing of the front doors being unlocked. A small window when the #yyj flight crews would be leaving?

#11045 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

UPDATED: Former employer calls arrest of Saanich child care worker in connection to sexualassault ‘absolutely shocking’
Jesse Doig worked for The Cridge Centre for the Family
https://www.saanichn...t-with-a-knife/

Doig has been charged with sexual assault with a weapon, break and enter and forcible confinement.

Brandishing a knife, a suspect entered a townhouse in the 3900-block of Wolf Street on March 17 around 2 a.m. and sexually assaulted a woman who was visiting friends for the University of Victoria.
-----------------------------------------
Now I have no proof of anything, but I thought it was interesting that someone posted this story in connection to the above assault. His age would be right and woukd explain no criminal record?

https://www.oakbayne...an-in-her-home/
“We are proceeding on the premise that it was a sexual assault thwarted by the victim. It appears to investigators it was definitely a sexual-type attack,” Jantzen said.

“We certainly don’t see this every day. It’s very unusual. Usually there is some connection between people. This appears entirely random. This is quite disturbing.”

#11046 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:01 PM

This seems like the best thread to post this. I received my 2019 property tax notice from the CoV today and my taxes are up 22.5%!  :eek: Thanks Lisa.  :mad:

#11047 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:07 PM

This seems like the best thread to post this. I received my 2019 property tax notice from the CoV today and my taxes are up 22.5%!  :eek: Thanks Lisa.  :mad:

but but but wasn't one of her campaign promises about not raising taxes above inflation?

• Nparker likes this

#11048 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:09 PM

is some of that big increase crd/sewage? can you compare at that level?

#11049 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:13 PM

is some of that big increase crd/sewage? can you compare at that level?

I'll dig into the breakdown in more detail and comment in a more appropriate thread.

#11050 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,477 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:09 AM

🚔Drug dealer caught, weapons and cash seized🚔

On May 10th 2019 the West Shore RCMP’s Crime Reduction Unit, executed several search warrants on a residential property located on Moyes Road near Treanor Ave in Langford.

The Crime Reduction Unit has been working on targeting drug dealers in the West Shore. In this particular investigation, they executed two search warrants and arrested one male in his 30’s for drug Trafficking, Breach of Recognizance as well as Theft Under $5000.

The search warrant lead to the seizure of over $1200 cash, over 43 grams of crack cocaine, 175 grams of methamphetamine, 5.5 grams of fentanyl, drug packaging materials and a number of fake prescription drugs that are suspected to be opioids. The Crime Reduction Unit also seized a prohibited conducted energy weapon and bear spray.

The individual arrested is well known to police as a chronic offender and has been arrested previously for drug trafficking related offences. Getting drugs and weapons off the streets is a priority for the unit, said Cst. De Grey of the West Shore RCMP Crime Reduction Unit.

If you have information regarding drug trafficking call and report it to the West Shore RCMP at 250-474-2264 or anonymously through Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11051 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:12 AM

The individual arrested is well known to police as a chronic offender and has been arrested previously for drug trafficking related offences

And odds are they'll be back in business shortly.

#11052 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

Clearly, one of the things we don't get for those extra taxes is a downtown core in which we feel safe to walk around. I and a number of people I know take longer routes to avoid certain areas, but one still doesn't exactly feel safe.

Presumably, at some point, voters will figure out that having a local government who doesn't like either the police or laws is maybe not a good thing. And I know there are those who figure that as long as it doesn't happen to them it's not real, but if, or rather when, things get bad enough, presumably there will come a point where voters acknowledge that everyone has the fundamental right to be safe and respected. And that is not a right wing point of view. It's a basic, perhaps THE most basic human right.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#11053 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:35 PM

...everyone has the fundamental right to be safe and respected. And that is not a right wing point of view. It's a basic, perhaps THE most basic human right.

You labour under the misapprehension that CoV council cares about all citizens equally.

• mbjj, Midnightly and Cassidy like this

#11054 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:55 PM

You labour under the misapprehension that CoV council cares about all citizens equally.

True. If the mayor and Isitt Nation don't have polling data identifying you as a likely voter, you're out of luck. Their entire strategy is to stay elected and keep their jobs. They only care about other people in terms of their usefulness in terms of getting elected, I suspect. Hence, homelessness and drug addiction get worse, dealers thrive, etc simply to help the current crew keep their jobs.
  • Cassidy likes this

#11055 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:22 AM

44-year-old woman charged after stabbing near Central Saanich

https://www.cheknews...saanich-562262/

that’s a strange headline. one that might be normally reserved for talking about an incident on the ocean. the actual location is included in the story.

#11056 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

A 29-year-old woman was injured after being pushed over a 12-metre cliff into the waters of Thetis Lake, and West Shore RCMP are looking for the culprit.

It happened Sunday around 3:30 p.m., when the woman was hiking near the first beach cliff face. She encountered a group of three women she didn’t know who were drinking alcohol. She was looking over the cliff when someone pushed her from behind, sending her plunging into the water.

https://www.timescol...prit-1.23829387

also a strange story.

#11057 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:24 PM

Jeff Buziak really munged the Saanich Police on the Dr. Phil program by saying that because they won’t declare the case as cold,,,,he is not entitled access to any of the investigation information.

If it were up to me, I would hand the guy the file.

#11058 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:35 PM

I watched the Dr Phil episode as well.. some of his claims of a conspiracy seemed a bit outlandish. I think some of his gripes with the Saanich PD are over the top. He wants them to name suspects and declare that they have evidence, DNA, etc. Yet if they did I’m sure a good defence lawyer would tear the case apart if a suspect was ever arrested and it went to court. I feel for him, but also understand that there are procedures in place that SPD need to follow if they want to keep the investigation confidential and from becoming “bunged”.

#11059 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:42 PM

SPD have enough information that the case should be WAY further advanced than where they currently are.
... and Jeff knows that.
You’d be choked too ... she was his daughter.

Anyway, anybody who pays attention already knows who the top few suspects are - and that those few suspects are all personal friends and/or relatives.

Saanich police really need to hand this off to somebody else because regardless of the actual backstory, the optics are that they’ve completely bungled the case. I’d agree with that sentiment if only because they’ve been at it for 10 years and have nothing they can show for it.

Jeff is right ... 10 years makes it a cold case.
SPD need to let go of it.
  • martini likes this

#11060 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:01 AM

you can watch the episode here.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users

pontcanna, Facebook (1)