• Please log in to reply
21442 replies to this topic

#11121 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:06 PM

Another symptom of Victoria’s under-funding of its police force materializes:

Front Desk Hours Of Operation To Be Reduced June 17th

Victoria, BC – Citizens seeking service at VicPD’s headquarters are being notified of an upcoming change in our front desk hours.

On June 17th, VicPD’s service hours at the front desk of our 850 Caledonia Avenue headquarters will be reduced to 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday. The front desk and lobby area will be closed on Saturdays, Sundays and statutory holidays. This change is consistent with other public agencies and part of a series of service adjustments the department is undertaking to better realign our services with our resources.

After hours non-emergency reporting can be made by calling our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654, or by using our online crime reporting service: https://vicpd.ca/reportcrimeonline.

VicPD Esquimalt Division front desk hours are unaffected by this change.

So because Ben and his 4 disciples decided one day, while they were playing at Grown-up Government, that Policemen Are All Bad, now we are seeing even less and less access to services citizens need in our increasingly scary city. Can we please elect some representatives who have at least the most basic grasp of the concepts of public service and compassion?
  • Nparker, Lorenzo and Midnightly like this

#11122 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:30 PM

https://vancouverisl...-shop-1.4462066

Customers were streaming out of the Value Village on Store St. early Tuesday afternoon as the building's alarm system blared and fire crews arrived to ventilate the structure.

Victoria fire Capt. Cliff Kennell recovered the bear spray canister and said it's unfortunate the calls had to take two fire trucks out of service.

"This is the second time it's happened today so we're going to be contacting VicPD," he told CTV News. "The first incident was the exact same thing."

#11123 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:12 AM

https://vancouverisl...-shop-1.4462066

Customers were streaming out of the Value Village on Store St. early Tuesday afternoon as the building's alarm system blared and fire crews arrived to ventilate the structure.

Victoria fire Capt. Cliff Kennell recovered the bear spray canister and said it's unfortunate the calls had to take two fire trucks out of service.

"This is the second time it's happened today so we're going to be contacting VicPD," he told CTV News. "The first incident was the exact same thing."

One must wonder just how much "stock loss" occurred during the incident.

#11124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:11 AM

It looks like the Thetis Lake incident was fabricated.

RCMP conclude investigation into woman pushed off cliff at Thetis Lake; claim was misreported to police

On May 19th 2019 the West Shore RCMP investigated a report of a woman allegedly being pushed off a cliff at Thetis Lake in View Royal.

The West Shore RCMP would like to advise that the investigation is now concluded. While we cannot provide further specifics, Investigators have determined the incident did not occur as was originally reported and suspects are no longer being sought in relation to this matter, Cst. Nancy SAGGAR, Media Relations Officer, West Shore RCMP.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11125 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:17 AM

A 29-year-old woman was injured after being pushed over a 12-metre cliff into the waters of Thetis Lake, and West Shore RCMP are looking for the culprit.

It happened Sunday around 3:30 p.m., when the woman was hiking near the first beach cliff face. She encountered a group of three women she didn’t know who were drinking alcohol. She was looking over the cliff when someone pushed her from behind, sending her plunging into the water.

https://www.timescol...prit-1.23829387

also a strange story.

it seemed odd at the time if i recall. it’s still an odd story to make up too.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 June 2019 - 09:18 AM.

#11126 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:18 AM

Gang activity, violence on rise in Centennial Square, police chief says

https://www.timescol...says-1.23855624

#11127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:22 AM

No way!
  • GaryRanson and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11128 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:49 AM

in the only public place downtown we pay for 24/7 security. what are we doing wrong?

#11129 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:52 AM

That 24/7 security has specific instructions to take NO action beyond phoning VicPD if things get out of hand.

I've noted here before, the security in the Square does nothing related to security ... nothing at all.

I might amend my statement above slightly by noting that there's always two of them on duty, with one located in their little booth attempting to regulate traffic in and out of the washrooms.

But that's it as far as "security".

#11130 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:18 AM

in the only public place downtown we pay for 24/7 security. what are we doing wrong?

I believe this should answer your question.

Council Photo 2019.jpg

• martini, GaryRanson, mbjj and 2 others like this

#11131 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:01 AM

And for an investment of $500K Del can make it better.

• GaryRanson likes this

#11132 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:16 AM

Is the dark-haired lady on the right Potts? Don't think I've seen her picture before.

#11133 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:22 AM

...“We’re dealing continually with more and more youth that are coming from all over the region that love Centennial Square right outside here,” Manak told councillors Thursday.

And soon they'll be able to get there cheaper with taxpayer funded "free" bus passes. Good days indeed in the CoV.

#11134 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:43 AM

The police chief needs to rethink his statement and look at the supposed criminal activity through an equity lens. All things become clearer when that happens.

• Nparker, spanky123, Bob Fugger and 2 others like this

#11135 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:59 AM

The police chief needs to rethink his statement and look at the supposed criminal activity through an equity lens. All things become clearer when that happens.

And the gang activity is only as a result of inter-generational trauma and we all need to be sensitive of that.

• Nparker, Daveyboy and Love the rock like this

#11136 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:10 AM

So gang activity is bad now? Because not long ago there was a tent city near the courthouse that was well known to have a significant on-site gang presence, and they got an award from the mayor.

Probably the easiest thing is just to give the gangs a couple of Homes Not Hate signs or something and then they can just go about their usual business and it won't be a problem. There's a cost-cutting idea. You're welcome.
:)
  • Nparker, spanky123, martini and 3 others like this

#11137 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:03 AM

So gang activity is bad now? Because not long ago there was a tent city near the courthouse that was well known to have a significant on-site gang presence, and they got an award from the mayor.

:)

I think what we are seeing is a carefully managed strategy to increase police funding. As I suggested earlier, identifying key hot buttons and then asking for incremental funding to solve pressing problems in those areas will be the new normal. Now that Helps has Isitt back pedaling, it will be easier for her and the Chief to push these items through. 

Edited by spanky123, 14 June 2019 - 10:03 AM.

#11138 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:12 AM

I think what we are seeing is a carefully managed strategy to increase police funding. 

Not as far as Centennial Square goes.

The Square is a festering crap hole of trouble 24/7.

Whether Del is doing a good job of assigning available resources is open to question (he's probably not) ... but his comments on the Square itself aren't open to question.

#11139 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

That 24/7 security has specific instructions to take NO action beyond phoning VicPD if things get out of hand.

I've noted here before, the security in the Square does nothing related to security ... nothing at all.

I didn't get to read your original post Cassidy on the Centennial Square security but I find most security companies (through the security guards I've talked to) do nothing outside the boundary of observe and report. It has do with legal backlash for the owners of the entities they work for. I can understand it but I don't agree with it.

An example was a trip to Vancouver. I was at the bus depot.and managed to wander into a restricted area locked off to the public (where the trains are kept). A security guard confronted me and wanted my name and address but she could not lay her hands on me or arrest me. I complied, not to be polite in any way (she was too angry to be polite to) but to avoid her calling Vancouver PD as she so threatened. The last thing i needed was to be pulled off a bus on the way home by police and have the incident thought of as sinister.

Edited by FawltyVic, 14 June 2019 - 11:48 AM.

#11140 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:57 AM

Del Manak may be grasping at straws on this one. I don't recall ever seeing any sort of gang apart from the gangs of street people who occupy the square. I'm calling an attempt at increased funding on this one. And if this gang does exist and occupies space in the square with near impunity, then Manak's police force shares equal blame with Helps, the council and the city's bylaw officers for doing little to nothing about it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), Mike P.