The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21542 replies to this topic

#11201 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,856 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:50 AM

it’s 35 officers. I wrote the wrong number earlier.

#11202 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:52 AM

That's a lot of manpower being paid, but not working.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11203 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:56 AM

it’s 35 officers. I wrote the wrong number earlier.

Just how violent are the people VicPD is picking up off the streets that 35 officers are on leave at any given time?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11204 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,856 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:06 AM

other than family leave it’s likely mostly stress / mental health. not physical injury. and I’m sure just as in any profession with very generous medical leave provisions there is some employees that abuse the generosity of the plan.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 June 2019 - 07:08 AM.

#11205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:12 AM

Serious crimes unit investigates aggravated assault

2019-06-27 10:04 PDT

File # 2019-11906

The West Shore RCMP Serious Crimes Unit is currently investigating a report of an aggravated assault.

The incident took place during the late evening hours on June 26th 2019, at the Ruth King Elementary School grounds, located at 2764 Jacklin Road in Langford.

This investigation is in the very early stages and many resources have been deployed to assist the investigators. We will provide updates to the public and the media as the investigation advances, said Cst. Nancy Saggar, Media Relations Officer.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11206 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:00 AM

Michael Mulligan is on CFAX right now saying how difficult it is to overcome issues related to falling behind in providing policing services and keeping enough officers on the roster.

Know it all.

#11207 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,856 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:08 AM

is he suggesting that not having “patrol” officers just cruising around looking for trouble rather than attending call after call after call is leading to burnout? or is it finding dead people and notifying family etc. is leading to mental stress time off?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 June 2019 - 10:10 AM.

#11208 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,856 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 02:08 PM

https://www.vicnews....ia-area-couple/

UPDATED: Washington man found guilty of 1987 murders of Victoria-area couple

Tanya Van Cuylenborg and Jay Cook of Saanich, B.C., were found dead in 1987

hard article to read it's black press everett.  

but it's interesting.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 June 2019 - 02:18 PM.

#11209 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:19 PM

https://www.kiro7.co...urder/962010760

They went to the same high school as I did. They were nice kids. I hope this brings some comfort to their families. 

Apparently the original investigating officer broke down in tears when he was told that their killer had been caught. I am sure these kind of cases haunt the investigators. 

#11210 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:23 PM

To be fair to Del, he inherited the job during the most turbulent time in the force’s recent history.

And while he’s trying to build the force back up council decided they wouldn’t cover his $600,000 (or whatever it is) medical plan expense that they covered for all other municipal employees.

He’s also having to tip toe around Esquimalt’s position that it doesn’t care for additional funding as they perceive that money as being headed to Victoria.

He has a tough job and he’s being exceptionally cordial, all things considered. He’s trying.

And don't forget, Del is doing his part by handing out tickets personally.

• Mike K. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11211 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:03 PM

And don't forget, Del is doing his part by handing out tickets personally.

Well he already handed out his annual ticket for tossing a cigarette so he's pretty much freed up?

#11212 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 02 July 2019 - 02:22 PM

Saanich police ask for information on armed robbery at Chevron station Saturday

https://www.timescol...rday-1.23873680

Does it seem like this is a new(ish) normal?  The number of armed robberies (especially gas stations) seems to have escalated in the last year or so.  Or is that some sort of cognitive bias at work?

#11213 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 02:28 PM

Got the gas and dash down to zero though.

#11214 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:01 PM

Got the gas and dash down to zero though.

How about:1) No cash, so there is no cash to steal and 2) pre-pay to enter the store (e.g. tap your CC or DC at the door).  If you buy nothing (e.g. just use the washroom or change your mind) then it will be refunded on the way out.

Hey, we forced people to pre-pay for gas and there is no legal requirement for stores to accept cash, so don't think it can't/won't happen.  Even kids have tap debit cards.

It wouldn't stop all "shrinkage", but it might eliminate the the armed robbery opportunity.

Please proceed to ravage the idea.  I'll be back later.

• todd likes this

#11215 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,856 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:10 PM

How about:1) No cash, so there is no cash to steal and 2) pre-pay to enter the store (e.g. tap your CC or DC at the door).  If you buy nothing (e.g. just use the washroom or change your mind) then it will be refunded on the way out.

Hey, we forced people to pre-pay for gas and there is no legal requirement for stores to accept cash, so don't think it can't/won't happen.  Even kids have tap debit cards.

It wouldn't stop all "shrinkage", but it might eliminate the the armed robbery opportunity.

Please proceed to ravage the idea.  I'll be back later.

it was 10am. i think the suspect would have probably simply chosen another target.  grocery store pizza place bank etc.

#11216 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:37 PM

DustMagnet to be honest your avatar scares me a little....plus it looks like the bank robber.
  • sebberry likes this

#11217 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:46 PM

How about:1) No cash, so there is no cash to steal and 2) pre-pay to enter the store (e.g. tap your CC or DC at the door). If you buy nothing (e.g. just use the washroom or change your mind) then it will be refunded on the way out.

Hey lets tap our credit cards at the door to do all our shopping, before we shop!

Awesome idea! <sarcasm>

There, you got your wish.
  • DustMagnet likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#11218 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,856 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:54 PM

you might say costco has reduced shrinkage by using a similar model.

https://www.groceryd...-shrink/555998/

• Costco is leading competitors when it comes to combating in-store theft, reporting that its shrinkage rate was just 0.11% to 0.12% of sales compared to the 1.33% that retailers on average lost in 2017, according to Business Insider.
    • In its 2018 annual report, Costco said it mitigates theft through store layout, limited entrances and exits and its membership model, which helps the store control inventory. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 July 2019 - 05:02 PM.

#11219 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,856 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 05:11 PM

Across the industry, retailers have tried to automate systems and tighten up their operations to prevent product loss. Aisle-scanning robots being piloted by Walmart, Schnucks and other retailers can track sales velocity and identify products with inaccurate price tags. In the Netherlands, Ahold Delhaize ispiloting a system that discounts products as they reach their sell-by date.

Tech-based checkout options like self-checkout kiosks and scan-and-go could make it more tempting for shoppers to skip paying for some items, and retailers will need to reevaluate how they limit shrink and monitor theft activity. But new retail technology also adds the ability to more closely trace products and track shopper activity, so while people may feel it's easier to walk out without paying, retailers should have more tools available to reduce shrinkage.

the line i bolded there would seem like a no-brainer.  

#11220 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 02 July 2019 - 06:49 PM

DustMagnet to be honest your avatar scares me a little....plus it looks like the bank robber.

Don't sneeze on the coke mirror.  Trust me.

- or -

They've switch to putting explosive chalk packs in with the cash now.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users