The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21552 replies to this topic

#11641 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:18 AM

^ 10% of the eligible voters on salt spring. That’s a high bar!

Matt.

#11642 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:09 AM

This is being done via a counter petition, where unless 10% of eligible voters sign a petition against the new tax, it’s approved.

Ah, the old 'silence is consent' approach to governing.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11643 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:08 AM

VicPD Officers Cite 74 Distracted Drivers In September Blitz

Victoria, BC – Officers wrote 74 tickets to drivers who were using an electronic device behind the wheel during a plain-clothes operation that targeted distracted driving throughout the month of September.

Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of death and injury on B.C. roads. In an effort to help make our roads safer, the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General and ICBC provided support for focussed distracted driving enforcement this past month.

Traffic officers in plain clothes took to high-collision intersections and roadways once a week throughout the month of September as part of our efforts to curb distracted driving. These officers were backed up by officers in uniform who pulled the distracted drivers over and issued tickets.

Officers issued:

· 73 tickets for using an electronic device while driving;
· 1 ticket for email/text while driving;
· 2 tickets for using an electronic device while driving in violation of a driver’s license restriction;
· 6 violation tickets;
· 3 written warnings.

Our officers will continue to focus on distracted driving enforcement in the months ahead.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11644 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:15 AM

Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of death and injury on B.C. roads. 

while that might be true i suspect the actual area where these tickets were issued have very low rates of distracted driving death and injury rates.  by the very description of the police actions here it's probably pretty clear they did this with stopped cars at intersections.

Traffic officers in plain clothes took to high-collision intersections and roadways once a week throughout the month of September as part of our efforts to curb distracted driving

i think it's likely generally accepted that most people will text illegally most commonly when they are at a red light etc.  those people are not the ones causing spikes in injuries and deaths.  so while they are still guilty this particular enforcement action is not targeting the most dangerous offenders.  perhaps it wasn't meant to.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 October 2019 - 11:18 AM.

#11645 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:30 AM

https://www.nanaimob...-sparks-debate/

B.C. senior’s $368 ticket for cellphone in cupholder sparks debate

Woman had both hands on the wheel and was not using her phone

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#11646 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:12 PM

Man attacked with baton during Colwood road rage incident

On September 30th 2019, at 1:12 pm the West Shore RCMP responded to a report of a male victim being attacked by a man wielding a baton. The attack took place on Creekview Lane near Latoria Rd in Colwood.

Investigators believe the attack stemmed from a road rage incident between strangers. The 54 year old victim was driving south on Veterans Memorial Parkway and was being followed closely by the 67 year old suspect. After a brief encounter while driving, the pair pulled over on Creekview Lane. The suspect had a baton and began swinging it at the victim striking him several times. A physical fight between the two broke out resulting injuries to both parties.

The suspect was arrested for assault with a weapon and possession of a weapon dangerous to the public. The investigation is on-going and charges relating to the driving offences are also being considered.

A bystander called the police immediately and began shouting at the suspect to stop the fight. Officers were in the area and on scene within a minute of being dispatched. The responding officer, Cst. Forslund, advised that the bystander’s quick actions and shouting at the suspect definitely played a role in stopping the fight. We want to thank the brave bystander who even went a step further and offered the victim shelter in their own vehicle, said Cst. Saggar, West Shore RCMP Media Relations Officer.

The police want to remind the public that if they are involved in a road rage incident stay inside your vehicle and do not engage with the other individual. The best thing to do is find a safe public place to pull over and call the police. If you cannot pull over, drive to the nearest police station and seek help that way.

We take these investigations seriously. In April 2019, the West Shore RCMP investigated another incident of road rage where the suspect wielded a machete after a parking dispute at Costco. This investigation led to the suspect, 29 year old Neila Klein, being arrested and convicted of assault, said Cst. SAGGAR.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11647 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:13 PM

I have to wonder if those who text at red lights are predisposed to texting once moving. They send that text at a light, an instant response comes in, and now the driver feels compelled to immediately respond even though they’re moving.

Know it all.

#11648 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

67 year old with "baton" attacks 54 year old.  classic.

#11649 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:45 PM

I have to wonder if those who text at red lights are predisposed to texting once moving. They send that text at a light, an instant response comes in, and now the driver feels compelled to immediately respond even though they’re moving.

I think on most phones the first few words of a text flash on the screen for five seconds so there is an unbearable urge to glance down and look at it regardless of what's happening on the road. Although it appears the senior in this case is extra careful, I can see both sides.

#11650 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:20 PM

Don’t cell phones block incoming texts while the car is moving? Mine does so I thought they all did.

#11651 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:20 PM

Don’t cell phones block incoming texts while the car is moving? Mine does so I thought they all did.

#11652 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

I suppose it depends on whether you have 'Do not disturb while driving' turned on.  

I've had my car for 15 years.  For 15 years I've had my cell phone in the cup holder between the seats exactly as pictured in that news story. Either playing music back through the stereo, charging or most recently with my new phone, using CarPlay.  I've never felt the need to pick up the phone while driving, let alone actually do it and be distracted by it.  I guess I need to re-think my terribly dangerous driving habits, eh?  

• lanforod likes this

#11653 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

must give this guy credit.  very very rarely do petty criminals (not accused of white-collar offences) also simultaneously hold down decent public-sector jobs.  hopefully that will be a mitigating factor if he's convicted.

A Canadian Coast Guard employee suspected of robbing an RBC bank in Langford last week was arrested by Victoria police on Sunday after a series of encounters across the South Island.

The arrest occurred days after West Shore RCMP identified and located the man, 40-year-old Christopher Lee Lamoureux, last week. However, he fled from Mounties in a vehicle, according to police.

The pursuit began at approximately 5 a.m. on Sept. 25, when West Shore RCMP officers found Lamoureux sleeping inside a parked car.

https://vancouverisl...eries-1.4617333

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 October 2019 - 01:49 PM.

#11654 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

plus he’s pretty good looking.

total CILF. (criminals i’d like to..)

ya sure he robs the odd bank but that makes him a good provider no? evolution was built on that.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 October 2019 - 03:08 PM.

#11655 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:34 PM

I suppose it depends on whether you have 'Do not disturb while driving' turned on.

I've had my car for 15 years. For 15 years I've had my cell phone in the cup holder between the seats exactly as pictured in that news story. Either playing music back through the stereo, charging or most recently with my new phone, using CarPlay. I've never felt the need to pick up the phone while driving, let alone actually do it and be distracted by it. I guess I need to re-think my terribly dangerous driving habits, eh?

https://www.thestar....titute-use.html

B.C. judge rules ‘mere presence of a cellphone within sight of a driver’ does not constitute use

#11656 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:45 PM

However, 'charging' is a function of the device.  I think this will come down to whether 'operating' requires direct involvement/interaction with the device.  You could say the constant communication the device engages in with the cell towers is also a function of the device.

#11657 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:57 PM

this guy was found not criminally responsible for killing his mother.

https://www.timescol...ther-1.23963257

sounds just.

but this woman made a very bad series of mistakes. but not sure she had intent to murder.

https://www.nytimes....otham-jean.html

we will find out later how many years she gets.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 October 2019 - 04:00 PM.

#11658 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:15 PM

Ugh I often charge my phone in this exact way but never ever ever check it. I don’t need the heat, not to mention near total lack of cell service on my “commute”.

Guess it stays in the pocket from now on.

Matt.

#11659 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:24 PM

Guess it stays in the pocket from now on.

Matt.

Wear it on your belt but get a custom case with the words "Colostomizer II" and the cops won't ask questions.

• Mike K. likes this

#11660 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:52 PM

if my cellphone (well more likely ipod since my cell is old and is pretty much only good for texting and calls) is out of my bag it is usually in the cup holder, plugged into a charger and a secondary cord running to the stereo to play music.. if i get a ding or ring or anything it's ignored because i'm driving, it's not safe and i'm too cheap to want to pay that ticket lol.. and the cup holder is the most stable place in the car to put a phone to charge, it won't slide around and close to the charging outlet.. it's not uncommon for people to need to charge their device when they are not home

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

David Bratzer, pontcanna