The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21542 replies to this topic

#11661 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 04:20 AM

Day parole has been denied for a Saanich man convicted in the deaths of a friend’s mother and grandmother nearly 30 years ago on the lower mainland in a murder-for-hire scheme.

The Parole Board of Canada denied parole to 46-year-old Derik Christopher Lord, who is serving a life sentence for two counts of first-degree murder.

Lord, who was 17 at the time of the murders, and David Muir were Mount Douglas Secondary School students in 1990 when another schoolmate, Darren Huenemann, asked them to be involved in a plan to kill Huenemann’s mother and grandmother.

They were promised part of a $4-million inheritance.

https://www.cheknews...-parole-609467/

Matthew de Grood, who killed five young people at a Calgary house party in 2014, has been granted unsupervised outings in Edmonton and area but remains a significant threat to public safety, the Alberta Review Board decided in an order released Tuesday.

Found not criminally responsible in 2016 on account of a mental disorder, de Grood — diagnosed with schizophrenia in full remission — has been in treatment at Alberta Hospital in Edmonton for the last year.

His treatment team can now allow him to visit locations in Edmonton unsupervised and grant him overnight passes for up to one week in order to help him transition to a group home.

https://calgarysun.c...obox=1569963394

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 October 2019 - 04:23 AM.

#11662 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:33 AM

All Derik has left in the world are his parents and admitting his own guilt would destroy their lives and everything they believe in. 

The parents are killing him with love.

#11663 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:45 AM

au contraire.  this is canada.  don't let a lifetime of incarceration stop you from having a wife and children.

Since January, Lord has been taking two eight-hour leaves a month to visit his family, Hill said. Lord has a wife and child and his parents also live in Chilliwack.

https://www.timescol...nces-1.23335366

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 October 2019 - 06:46 AM.

#11664 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

Don’t cell phones block incoming texts while the car is moving? Mine does so I thought they all did.

Mine offers to read the text message to me, then asks if I want to reply or not. If I say yes she just says go ahead and I dictate my message. Pretty simple.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11665 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:37 PM

Mine offers to read the text message to me, then asks if I want to reply or not. If I say yes she just says go ahead and I dictate my message. Pretty simple.

Yeh, that's why I installed a CarPlay capable head unit.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11666 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:42 PM

this guy was found not criminally responsible for killing his mother.

https://www.timescol...ther-1.23963257

sounds just.

but this woman made a very bad series of mistakes. but not sure she had intent to murder.

https://www.nytimes....otham-jean.html

we will find out later how many years she gets.

she has been sentenced to 10 years.

#11667 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:44 PM

this guy was found not criminally responsible for killing his mother.

https://www.timescol...ther-1.23963257

sounds just.

but this woman made a very bad series of mistakes. but not sure she had intent to murder.

https://www.nytimes....otham-jean.html

we will find out later how many years she gets.

she has been sentenced to 10 years.

#11668 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:44 AM

Oh no! I just bought a cell phone mount that uses my cup-holder...now what? I'm more distracted by that bag of Jolly Ranchers on the seat beside me (and that case o beer in the back seat)...but that doesn't mean I'm going to try and open either one.

#11669 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:49 AM

Police have issued an apology to the woman and shredded the ticket. It would not have held up in court.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11670 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:19 PM

It is legal to drive with an open liquor container beside you. It is not legal to drink from it and technically an officer would have to see you do that before he issued a ticket. In practice it is far better to put the bottle in the trunk to avoid the hassle.

The same is true of cellphones. If the phone is in your pocket or in a purse then there is no problem. If it isn't and the officer sees you (continually) looking down then the problem ensues.

#11671 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:23 PM

It is legal to drive with an open liquor container beside you.

You sure about that? I always understood it had to be out of the drivers reach.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11672 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

They should be cracking down on "distracted walkers". I just had a phone zombie (pushing a baby buggy, no less!) step right out in front of me as I drove through the Can West Mall parking lot. Then she shot me the hairy eyeball as if to say "watch where you're going!" My fault for startling her as I slammed on the binders to avoid knocking them off. As far as the open alcohol goes, it can't be "readily accessible" (there's a recipe for interpretation) to anyone in the vehicle, not just the driver.

#11673 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

Police have issued an apology to the woman and shredded the ticket. It would not have held up in court.

Part of me wishes it went to court.  The officer would have had to justify issuing it, then be laughed out of there by the JP.  Now VicPD is going on about how the screen of the phone, in the cup holder, needs to face down or away from the driver.  Where in the act is that specified?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11674 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:53 PM

how about these:

There are a few rules (police officer) Pannekoek says drivers need to follow:

• If your phone is in your cup holder or on your passenger seat make sure the screen is facing away from you or is upside down.
  • If you want to see your screen your phone has to be mounted. If it is mounted you can only touch the screen once, and only to pick up or hang up a phone call, not to navigate GPS or scroll through music.
  • You can only have one ear bud in your ear, not two.

https://www.cheknews...know-it-610016/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 October 2019 - 01:53 PM.

#11675 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:55 PM

"A driver must not hold, operate, communicate or watch the screen of a hand-held electronic communication device," the motor vehicle Act states.

But the Act also says you can "touch" your phone to accept or end a call:

A person may use an electronic device in a hands-free telephone function while driving if:

It is voice-activated or requires only one touch in order to initiate, accept or end a call;

So how can you not watch the screen of the phone, but be permitted to initiate a call with one touch?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11676 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:44 PM

You can touch once without looking down. Called an Al Franken.

• Mike K., SimonH and Victoria Watcher like this

#11677 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:52 PM

Does anyone know what’s happening on lower Pandora at Store? Lots of police on-scene.

Know it all.

#11678 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:38 PM

Tour de Rock was through north downtown recently. Could be that. A cop was controlling the intersection at Fort and Quadra and a truck was inching forward and the cop kept telling him to stay back until the truck went "to hell with it" and just drove through the intersection.

#11679 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:43 PM

Ah! Yes that sounds about right.

Know it all.

#11680 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:01 PM

I’m sure I’m not the only person that wonders what all these “high-risk” disappearances are about.

https://www.timescol...nces-1.23967206

Victoria police are asking for help locating a man who has gone missing under high-risk circumstances.

Jericho Labonte, 31, was last seen in the Oaklands neighbourhood on Monday, Sept. 30. Police said he may be headed to Salt Spring Island.

does it mean they are heavily invested in the homeless or drug or prostitution lifestyle?

indeed it seems most that are described this way are female.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 October 2019 - 12:02 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)