The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21442 replies to this topic

#11721 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:12 PM

Sombrio Beach vehicle break-in leads to identification and arrest of fraud suspect

On November 4th 2019, a vehicle was broken into while parked at the Sombrio Beach parking lot near Port Renfrew. The suspect who is identified as 43 year old Tomas SZALAY, is accused of stealing two phones and a wallet left inside the vehicle. SZALAY is further accused of using the stolen credit/debit cards at a store near Duncan.

The West Shore RCMP Crime Reduction Unit identified the SZALAY from video surveillance as a chronic offender and took over this investigation. SZALAY was caught on surveillance multiple times conducting nearly $300 in fraudulent transactions. On November 8th the Crime Reduction Unit located and arrested SZALAY in Langford. SZALAY has been charged with 1 count of theft, 3 counts of possession of stolen property and 2 counts of fraud.

"Tracking down a suspect who is traveling from jurisdiction to jurisdiction committing crime is a challenging task. Our Crime Reduction Unit not only located the suspect within days of the offence, but also gathered individual pieces of evidence regarding fraud at various locations outside of the West Shore. This is a testament to the skill and dedication of the unit," said Cpl. Fred Ritchie of the Crime Reduction Unit, West Shore RCMP.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11722 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:17 PM

What kind of idiot leaves his wallet in his car at the Sombrio parking lot?

#11723 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:03 PM

Huh. When I pulled into the lot at Sombrio last week and got out, the guy next to us said to take any valuables with us. He gestured to his passenger side window which was in pieces on the ground. Must be the same guy.

Obviously we didn’t leave any valuables in the car and didn’t even lock the doors.

Matt.

#11724 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:05 AM

CRD rankings for the 5-year change in the Crime Severity Index and 'all crime' rating.

https://www.macleans...us-places-2019/

Higher is better:

54 - Central Saanich
68 - Sooke
108 - Oak Bay
110 - North Saanich
159 - Saanich
170 - Sidney
179 - Victoria & Esquimalt
182 - Colwood
187 - View Royal
208 - Langford

n/a - Metchosin

n/a - Highlands

All crime:

36 - Victoria & Esquimalt
113 - Sooke
135 - Langford
163 - View Royal
186 - Central Saanich
196 - Oak Bay
197 - Sidney
198 - Saanich
208 - Colwood
222 - North Saanich

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11725 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:30 AM

^ Courtenay came in 7th on the CSI
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#11726 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:43 AM

It had the 7th fastest crime increase in all of Canada, and landed in 31st place for all crime, 45th for violent crime.

Victoria and Esquimalt landed at 27 for violent crime, literally on par with Edmonton and Saskatoon.

Know it all.

#11727 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:48 AM

The father of Lindsay Buziak, the murdered realtor whose case has gone unsolved for the past 12 years, has written an open letter to Saanich Mayor Fred Haynes pleading with him for help in finding his daughter’s killer.

“Sir — father to father — and for God’s sake please, as head of Saanich Municipality, do something about this problem you have inherited because your police department [is] obviously not capable,” pleads Jeff Buziak in the letter, which was posted on his public Facebook page and circulated through email.

https://www.vicnews....-saanich-mayor/

You have inherited a 12 year old situation in Saanich that your less than brilliant police are capable of finding any resolution to except for excuses; The Unsolved Murder of Lindsay Buziak

Sir, I'm certain you are very aware it doesn't take 12+ years to do a job or accomplish a task. I'm sure your formal education was concluded in far less time. As I review your credentials I see the following:

Very effective 1st term Councillor
Produces win-win solutions
Energetic problem solver
Small business owner
Decades of community service
Ph.D. in diabetes research
Former teacher
Father of three, with his wife, Cathy

Very impressive and very fitting, I must admit, for the messy situation of the Unsolved Murder of Lindsay Buziak Feb 2, 2008 file you have inherited as Chair of the Police Board and Mayor of Saanich. Now, please don't go blurting out you can't get involved in the work of the police. They are no different than Sanitation, Parks, Roads or any other department at Saanich that is failing, they need attention and assistance or reorganization. If any of the many departments in Saanich failed to complete their duties and put the Corporation of Saanich and/or its citizens at risk I'm sure it would be given a high priority to resolve.

Well Mr Mayor, there was a murder on your streets of a wonderful young woman while at work nearing 12 years ago now that is unsolved. The killers are freely roaming your streets and your Department of Police are doing nothing about it of any significance. This certainly should have been dealt with swiftly, efficiently and without delay; not calculated in years sir. All your Department of Police have accomplished on this task have been pay raises, promotions, retirements, creative excuses, blaming, explanations, threats and publicly clearing of main suspects. The citizens of Saanich are at risk; their lives are at stake!

Mayor Haynes, I see from your credentials you claim you are very effective, you produce win-win solutions, you are an energetic problem solver. you have done decades of community service, you are a former teacher, you have the highest degree formal education provides so you undoubtedly are very smart and disciplined and finally you are a father. Sir, these are the qualities required to solve the conundrum your Police Department have been facing with attempting to resolve the unsolved murder of Lindsay Buziak and make your community safe once again. They just can't do it! Mayor Haynes they are failing badly and need your assistance, direction and leadership skills you claim to have to resolve this file. It is clear by the time that has passed they are severely lacking in the skills you have that they desperately require. Their only strong points to this date are explanations and excuses why they have not done their duty to the citizens of Saanich. Lindsay Buziak was born, raised, educated and murdered in Saanich.

Sir, father to father, and for God's sake please, as head of Saanich Municipality, do something about this problem you have inherited because your police department are obviously not capable.

Mayor Haynes, the murder of my daughter Lindsay Buziak has drawn international attention and has been presented on a world stage. That exposure is not stopping and will continue with new projects in the works. It is clear your police department has exhausted their strategies of stalling, balking, defending, secrecy and defensiveness and silence to protect what little reputation they have besides probably in name only now. They just don't know how to do the job they have a mandate to do! Its way beyond time something is done here before Saanich is humiliated further worldwide and known as a murder free zone with useless police. You are new as leader Mayor and do you want to be known as "The Mayor Who Doesn't Care" or do you want to live up to and even exceed your reputation which is clearly stated above which includes energetic problem solver? You have a major problem here Mayor Haynes and ignoring it won't make it go away. Please prove yourself and go assist your Police Department as they are really lost and lacking the leadership, knowledge, know-how and other abilities you possess. The world is watching sir.

Sincerely

Jeff Buziak, father of Lindsay Buziak (murdered)

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 November 2019 - 10:50 AM.

#11728 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:40 PM

Disturbing trends in the sexual behaviour of youngsters and a significant climb in crime are increasing cause for concern, say a couple of counsellors well-versed in dealing with youth at risk.

“When we began dealing with youth gangs in 2013, what came to light was how significant the sexual exploitation of youth has become in all of the Capital Regional District,” said Mia Golden, co-ordinator of the Crime Reduction and Exploitation Division (CRED) with Pacific Centre Family Services Association. “I believe social media and **rnography are major factors behind the increase.”

One troubling recent trend is the increase in the numbers of youth sexual assaults and exploitation in children 12 and under, said Jennifer Munro, clinical director for PCFSA. “In my 30 years (of youth and family counselling), I’ve never seen that.”

That comprises a major portion of the calls related to CRED, Golden added.

“Another very concerning trend is the number of children, some as young as six, addicted to **rn,” Golden said. “This is a frightening new phenomenon, fueled by the fact that kids can access it on their phone. I’m having conversations regularly with youth who are struggling with the physiological impacts of **rn on the brain. That includes erectile dysfunction in young teens.”

“This particular issue is just starting to get attention,” Munro said.

https://www.vicnews....th-on-the-rise/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 November 2019 - 04:40 PM.

#11729 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:51 PM

Fentanyl, Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Vehicle, And Cash Seized As Three Arrested In Downtown Parking Lot

Victoria, BC – Three people were taken into custody while drugs, cash and a vehicle were seized in a downtown parking lot on October 30th.

Just after 8 p.m. on Wednesday October, 30th, 2019, an off-duty VicPD officer noted suspicious activity in a vehicle in a parking lot in the 1800-block of Store Street. She called on-duty Patrol officers, who arrived a short time later and began an investigation. The Patrol officers searched the three vehicle occupants and the vehicle and discovered significant amounts of cash and drugs, as well as weapons including knives and pepper spray. All three occupants were arrested.

Officers seized $17,454 CAD and $480 USD, as well as 96 combined grams of fentanyl and heroin, 66 grams of crystal meth, and 2.79 grams of crack cocaine. The Patrol officers also seized the vehicle and recovered evidence of alleged drug trafficking activity including mobile phones, scales, drug packaging and “score sheets”. Photographs of some of the evidence recovered are below.

The cash and vehicle have been referred for civil forfeiture. The three occupants face three recommended charges of drug possession for the purposes of trafficking each. They are considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Know it all.

#11730 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:10 AM

🚔West shore RCMP bike unit busts drug trafficker🚔

On November 7th 2019, the West Shore RCMP Bike Patrol Unit executed a search warrant on a residence located in a neighbourhood off of Happy Valley Rd in Langford.

The Bike Patrol Unit conducted covert surveillance on the property and observed evidence of drug dealing taking place at the residence. A 32 year old women, who is a resident of the home, was arrested for trafficking drugs.

During the search, the unit seized 178 grams of methamphetamine, approximately 48 grams of mixed opioids, almost $2000 cash and 2 replica handguns. This is a substantial seizure that is sure to impact crime and the drug trade on the West Shore. The Bike Patrol Unit plays a dynamic role here at the West Shore RCMP and we are proud of the work they do,” said Staff Sergeant Raj Sandhu, Operations NCO, West Shore RCMP.

Know it all.

#11731 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:08 AM

Maybe they need a lock on the coffee machine?

https://mobile.twitt...om/OakBayPolice

#11732 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:25 AM

I like to do a little patrol with my mag light in front of my house just before I go to bed make sure everything is locked up now I know I’m saving a life.

#11733 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:36 AM

employers are to blame too.  employer pays employee $1200 for a week's work.  employee blows $100 on some cocaine for friday night.  cocaine has some fentanyl in it and the user dies.

lay off your employees and save lives.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 November 2019 - 10:37 AM.

• shoeflack likes this

#11734 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:44 AM

I like to do a little patrol with my mag light in front of my house just before I go to bed make sure everything is locked up now I know I’m saving a life.

Maglite?  Welcome to 1999.

• GaryRanson likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11735 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:54 AM

Maglite?  Welcome to 1999.

Usually just use the AA version but I got the six D cell version use the pelican light if it’s raining.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#11736 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:42 PM

8C20FB5A-CD74-4C03-AC54-E329BFB52AD8.png

Oak Bay Police removed the post so I also removed it.

Edited by todd, 18 November 2019 - 12:42 PM.

#11737 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:04 PM

Oak Bay Police removed the post so I also removed it.

but the internet never forgets.

it was not misunderstood.  they said something along the line of "connect the dots" and "you are only a few steps away from causing fentanyl deaths".  

citizens' unlocked doors cause drug deaths.  or at least are "playing a role".

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 November 2019 - 01:08 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#11738 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:27 PM

It’s Monday morning

#11739 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:27 PM

Usually just use the AA version but I got the six D cell version use the pelican light if it’s raining.

Fenix is my go-to flashlight brand now. 

• todd likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11740 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:44 PM

This was bound to happen. Their conduct on social media can be highly inappropriate, we've talked about it in the past.

Alleging that leaving your car unlocked (which you have absolutely every right to do should you choose to do it) is causing drug deaths is highly, highly inappropriate and despite their retraction it does blame the victim. Maybe people leave their cars unlocked because they can't afford the $300 (or whatever) deductible to replace a smashed window, clean up the debris, miss time off work to bring their vehicle to a glass shop, etc. 

• Midnightly, jasmineshinga, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users