Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21442 replies to this topic

#13361 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:59 AM

...no fence or gate has been necessary in the 40 or so years the apartment building has been there. I wonder what has changed now?

My hunch would be too many rich condo and apartment dwellers.

• Nparker likes this

#13362 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:10 AM

Wowzers. It’s odd they didn’t have that fenced off already.

Was that space used as a public amenity or square, zoomer? I can’t picture it.

Isn't this part of the walkway through to Mason St.

#13363 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:43 AM

It just might be. It looks like there's a path along the edge of the new-build.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13364 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:12 AM

Isn't this part of the walkway through to Mason St.

It just might be. It looks like there's a path along the edge of the new-build.

The path from Pandora to Franklin Green runs directly alongside the new building. It was already fenced off from the older apartment building's driveway/parking.

#13365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:23 AM

Breaking news here.

Patrol officers have responded to a report of a man with an assault rifle in the 3000 block of Blanshard. They’ve located the man & are now securing a suite in a multi-residential temporary housing building to locate the reported weapon.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13366 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:35 AM

How is that even news in Victoria anymore? It would be more newsworthy if a day goes by when it doesn't happen.

• Nparker likes this

#13367 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:37 AM

What is it with the guns at the hotels? Is it just drug dealers, or are the non-dealer homeless arming up, too?

#13368 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:41 AM

Victoria Police @vicpdcanada

UPDATE | The “assault rifle” turned out to be a spray-painted Nerf gun. #allclear #yyj  #nerfherder

#13369 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:48 AM

Jesus christ, these people are literally like children. 

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#13370 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:57 AM

What is it with the guns at the hotels? Is it just drug dealers, or are the non-dealer homeless arming up, too?

#armedandvulnerable

• Karma2017 likes this

#13371 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,331 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

Jesus christ, these people are literally like children. 

i said that many many posts ago.   they play with guns like you and i might have when we were 11.  same with bikes.

• Mike K. likes this

#13372 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM

i said that many many posts ago. they play with guns like you and i might have when we were 11. same with bikes.

They also have fewer responsibilities than 11 year olds who are normally expected to go to school, do homework and help out with house chores.
  • LJ and Victoria Watcher like this

#13373 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:27 AM

My dad  and all his buddies messed around all the time with guns well into their twenties. I suspect that my dad exaggerated a bit but he claimed to have slept with his rifle all the way from Normandy to Holland.

Edited by Barrrister, 23 September 2020 - 11:27 AM.

• Mike K., LJ, North Shore and 1 other like this

#13374 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:30 AM

Every time I see someone on social media trying to split hairs over it being a replica I see a point being completely missed.

The reason for having a replica firearm (nerf gun or otherwise) and not storing it properly at home and using it at a airlift facility is only one:

For intimidation. Plain, simple. 

Intimidation for various reasons: to unlawfully gain something (robbery) or to establish fear (get others to leave you alone, perhaps to gain power through fear)

Intimidation in this way is not good for society and for mental health at large. Housed or not housed. 

There's not a wholesome reason to have a replica firearm outside of a home or paintball field facility (or similar). 

Is there? I feel like I'm going crazy every time I see someone defending that it'

s a replica or not a real gun. 

• Rob Randall, Nparker, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#13375 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:31 AM

They also have fewer responsibilities than 11 year olds who are normally expected to go to school, do homework and help out with house chores.

Depends on which services they access and whether those services have rules. Having no rules helps nobody. 

#13376 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:40 AM

The replica defenders are no different than the people brandishing them.

Anyone with a PAL understands the gravity of the situation. It’s the imbeciles who think waving a fake gun around is literally, no word of a lie, badass. They are, plain and simple, idiots, who couldn’t pass a firearms license test even if they took a year to learn the course materials. I don’t mean to offend anyone, but if you think playing with fake (non firearm) objects that look like firearms is a-ok, you’re not the brightest crayon in the box. And clearly, very clearly, you have absolutely no idea how to use firearms safely, otherwise you wouldn’t put forward such a pathetic argument before the adults in the room.

There. I’ve said it. Rant over.
  • SimonH, jasmineshinga, A Girl is No one and 4 others like this

Know it all.

#13377 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:48 AM

There's the ones who think its badass.

Then there's the one's who will make any and all excuses under the umbrella of "crimes of survival".

• Nparker likes this

#13378 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:59 AM

Oh gawd, so pathetic.

Know it all.

#13379 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:02 PM

Every time I see someone on social media trying to split hairs over it being a replica I see a point being completely missed.

As Canadians we've flipped attitudes about firearms almost overnight. Heck, I don't think we actually have flipped attitudes. We've flipped attitudes for certain categorizations of people. First we bought into the false categorizations, and then we bought into the flipped attitudes about those categorizations. We'll still call the cops when a guy and his kid are using a toy pellet gun in the backyard. We'll still chew out small children for their insensitivity when they're playing with toy guns.

If replica firearms are legit now then surely it would be fine if my wife carries a replica firearm around to defend herself? Nope, that would still be objectionable, distasteful, unjustifiable, etc. It's okay for the guy with a criminal record a mile long to be flashing a replica firearm (or even a real firearm), but my wife has no business doing the same.

Summary:

"There's no such thing as a responsible gun owner"... unless the individual in question has demonstrated a spectacular lack of personal responsibility for his entire adult life. That guy should be able to do whatever he likes, no hassles.

It's all just politics and making people crazy with cognitive dissonance, double-standards, categorizations and de-individualization, social division, etc.

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#13380 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:39 PM

Break And Enters To Underground Parkades, Residential Sheds, Storage Areas Up 100 Percent

Victoria, BC – Officers are warning the public after a 100 percent increase in break and enters to underground parkades, detached sheds, garages, and constructions site storage lockers.

For the time period of January 1st to September 14th 2019 there were 207 break and enters to these locations. For the same time period in 2020 there have been 414 break and enters.

Specifically, break and enters to underground parkades have risen 40 percent. For the time period of January 1st to September 14th 2019 there were 137 underground parkade break and enters. For the same time period in 2020 there have been 194 underground parkade break and enters. After entering an underground parkade, thieves often target storage lockers and vehicles.

Thieves are focussed on high value items such as bicycles, tech (phones, laptops, small appliances like vacuums and electronics) as well as tools often found in sheds, outbuildings and storage lockers.

While the 100 percent increase in these break and enters is concerning, there are key steps you can take to protect yourself, your family, and your property.

Photograph bikes, important tech and tools, and record serial numbers. Email them to yourself to make for an easy to find record in the event they are stolen. Marking these items with contact information also makes it easy for officers to reach you when they recover your stolen property.
Strengthen locks and lighting on sheds and storage areas. If an item is really high value, it may be safer inside your residence or unit.
Never leave valuables inside a vehicle.
Make your property friendly but clearly private with short hedges, plants, fences and lights.
If you see someone suspicious in your underground parkade, call VicPD’s non-emergency line at 250-995-7654, extension 1.

What to do if you are the victim of a break and enter

In the event that someone does enter your property, please don’t hesitate to give us a call. For incidents where you don’t have any suspect information like surveillance images or a description, you can even report the incident through our online reporting service, or by using our VicPD Connect App. Reporting these incidents helps us identify trends, target prolific offenders, link incidents, return recovered stolen property and proactively deploy officers to your neighbourhood.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users