Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21580 replies to this topic

#13701 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 12:02 PM

Yeah, but that assumes he has reason to have such weaponry in the first place.

I'm going to say a community has some pretty serious issues if street-level drug dealers need to be armed and ready for pitched battles at all times.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#13702 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, but that assumes he has reason to have such weaponry in the first place.

If we're concerned about the proliferation of guns, the response is "Don't worry, they're just for show, they don't actually use them for anything."

If we ask why they have guns in the first place, the response is "They'd be dead without them. Guns are essential for survival on Victoria's streets."

• Nparker likes this

#13703 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,732 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 12:18 PM

...If we ask why they have guns in the first place, the response is "They'd be dead without them. Guns are essential for survival on Victoria's streets."

And there you have it. If guns are needed for the "most vulnerable" to survive, possession of them is no longer a crime.

• TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

#13704 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 07:19 AM

The projectile itself is the same, but the casing is obviously very different. (I use the same 146gr 0.355" lead bullets when I reload/make both 9mm, .357 mag and .38. I think you read reloading to mean loading the gun, not creating the ammo)

That revolver has been prohibited in Canada since 1995, so it shows our criminals have respect for the gun control laws.

Yikes. I wouldn’t mess with any ammo that isn’t explicitly etched into the barrel of the gun.

Safety note to anyone reading: do not get your ammunition advice from random Internet forums. Use only what is etched into your barrel.

There. I feel better now. Nothing against Fox, at all, but this is not the place to be having these discussions and potentially giving someone somewhere one day a bad idea.
  • Teardrop likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13705 Fox

Fox
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:22 AM

You must not be understanding... I am talking about hand reloading ammunition, which is a common practice among target shooters. You used special tools and dies to combine bullets, brass casings, powder and primers. You buy bullets based on their diameter, 0.357 being considered for 9mm or .38 cal. If you are casting you own, you would likely size 38 to 0.358 whereas 9mm would get sized to 0.356. It's not uncommon however to use them interchangeably, especially if you load both calibers. Brass would be specifically stamped for either 9mm Luger or 38 Special, which is important as it must fit within your guns specific chamber. Powder charge is also different, you would refer to a reloading handbook for starting loads and pressures and develop from there.

Look at the SAAMI specs, which is who define each caliber.
9mm luger:
pvS9Qon.jpg
38 special:

1nfRjgZ.png

So, 0.3555-0.003 versus 0.3590-0.003. Thus why bullets for both are sold in the 0.356 range. Lead deforms to the bore. You wouldn't load a .40 cal bullet into either case, I'm not saying that. If you are buying your ammo, you also wouldn't put anything in the chamber which isn't specified on the gun barrel. If this still bothers you, go look up wildcatting cartridges.

The original point was that 9mm isn't super high powered compared to 38 special. It's a similar caliber, with a slightly higher energy.

Edited by Fox, 06 December 2020 - 10:28 AM.

• Matt R. and jasmineshinga like this

#13706 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:43 PM

The reason the 38 special revolvers are banned is due to the short barrel, right? Nothing do do with the caliber?

#13707 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:44 PM

All handguns are banned without a restricted license I believe

#13708 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:53 PM

Short barrel revolvers are prohibited, period. Unless you’re grandfathered in before 95.

#13709 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 01:37 PM

I just got one of these for free along with the new burglar alarm. Any idea who sells the ammo for it,

https://youtu.be/IeqeUyPlRRs

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Barrrister, 06 December 2020 - 01:37 PM.

#13710 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 02:33 PM

Question of the day: if you have in your possession a firearm and ammo without a proper license and you're not storing it properly, do you fall into the category of "the vulnerable"?

• GaryRanson likes this

#13711 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 02:35 PM

Is there a criminal vulnerable category?

#13712 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 03:18 PM

The original point was that 9mm isn't super high powered compared to 38 special. It's a similar caliber, with a slightly higher energy.

The original post was the rifle was a 9mm and that it’s the same ammo police use in their Glocks.

Then you went all Dirty Harry on us. Anyways, an internet forum is not the place educate people on DIY ammo hacks. You should know better.
  • pontcanna likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13713 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 03:45 PM

Not banned, restricted. You need a restricted license to acquire one. The word banned refers to firearms that are not legally available to regular citizens in Canada.

Know it all.

#13714 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 03:50 PM

Since we’re on the topic, I should mention that I see gross negligence among gun owners in the bush regularly. Yesterday I saw someone had made a target practice setup into a forest, which they were too stupid to realize is only 100 meters thick and the line of fire would have bullets screaming across Highway 14 that missed the target. Unbelievable that people with such a lack of safety awareness have firearms. But alas, there we go.

I’ve also seen people hunting deer, and scoping them towards a direct line of travel where there are logging roads. It’s shocking.
  • Brayvehart and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

Know it all.

#13715 Fox

Fox
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 06:06 PM

The reason the 38 special revolvers are banned is due to the short barrel, right? Nothing do do with the caliber?

Any handgun which has a barrel of 105mm or shorter, or is of .25 or .32 caliber is considered a prohibited firearm. Those who had them registered prior to 1995 can possess them under a 12(6) prohibited license. They may also be directly passed down to family members via 12(7) licensing.

Any other handgun would be considered a restricted firearm, and needs an additional license, on top of the mainly rifle non-restricted license. They also may only be fired at a licensed range and have stricter transport and storage requirements. In other words, you can't store them in your tent, nor can you ride around on your bike with them.

Edited by Fox, 06 December 2020 - 06:09 PM.

• JanionGuy likes this

#13716 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 06:21 PM

you can't store them in your tent, nor can you ride around on your bike with them.

you also can't buy them on craigslist or used victoria. 

#13717 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:49 PM

But you can buy them at any gun show in the USA.

https://gunshowtrade...how-crossroads/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#13718 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:02 PM

Stabbing report of a homeowner at Gorge and Washington. Heavy police presence in the area.

#13719 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 07:51 AM

Oh no!

Know it all.

#13720 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:29 AM

Now they’re hot-wiring building intercoms.

From Oak Bay PD:

December 5th: Investigation of a break and enter to multiple storage lockers at an apartment building off of Oak Bay Ave. The suspect pried open the intercom panel and accessed wires that he hot-wired to open the door. The suspect then pried open the basement door accessing the storage lockers. He used the pry bar to gain access to two lockers. CCTV footage captured the suspect that can be described as: Caucasian male, medium build, black Nike baseball cap, mustard yellow jacket, blue jeans, white shoes, black face mask covering his nose. Tools and hunting decoy supplies were stolen. File is still under investigation. (OBPD file 2020-3838)

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

mbjj