21582 replies to this topic

#15081 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:17 PM

nothing to see here.

Why many Victoria residents may perceive an increase in crime

Crime rates fairly level over last decade, significantly lower than two decades ago

https://www.vicnews....rease-in-crime/

Now we’re going back two decades.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15082 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:25 PM

The point at which Lisa Helps became mayor sees a reversal of the dropping crime rate.

Why would Black Press spin the data, when we can clearly see 2013 was the “low,” and reported crime incidents are 30% higher through 2019. We can only surmise they’re even higher through 2021.

Also, I think it’s pretty clear police stopped charging people with simple drug possession. In 1995 having pot on your person would make for an incident if you asked for it.

D9BA53E3-151A-4010-9121-98BC38DC11EE.jpeg
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15083 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:46 PM

Man With Extensive Criminal History And Wanted On Warrants Arrested By Patrol Officers In Beacon Hill Park

April 29, 2021 - Files: #21-16260, #20-45103, #20-20327

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers arrested a man in Beacon Hill Park, in the 100-block of Douglas Street yesterday, who was wanted on warrants for assault, failing to comply with court-ordered conditions and breaching a court order.

The man’s warrants stem from two incidents.

20-20327 - Replica Firearm Seized After Store Employee Assaulted During Theft

On May 20th, 2020, Patrol officers were called to a report of a theft and assault at a store in the 1600-block of Hillside Avenue. The man allegedly assaulted a store employee who confronted him after a theft. The employee suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the attack. When officers arrested the man, they discovered that he was in possession of a replica firearm, in breach of court-ordered conditions stemming from a previous conviction. The man was arrested, the replica firearm seized, and he was released on additional conditions pending a future court date.

20-45103 - Staff Member Assaulted After Theft

In a second incident, on November 13th, 2020, Patrol officers were called to a restaurant in the 100-block of Douglas Street for a report of a disturbance and an assault. Officers arrived and discovered that the man, who was staying in Beacon Hill Park, had attended the restaurant and allegedly stolen food.

When confronted by staff, the man allegedly caused a disturbance and assaulted an employee by spitting at them, despite the dangers of COVID-19 transmission. The man was taken into custody after a brief struggle with officers. He was released with additional conditions and a future court date.

The man has an extensive history of previous criminal convictions including convictions for assault, assault with a weapon, theft, mischief, being unlawfully at large, obstructing police, and breaching court-ordered conditions.

Warrants were issued for the man after he breached his court-ordered conditions.

He was arrested and transported to VicPD cells where he was held for court.

#15084 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:09 PM

...the man, who was staying in Beacon Hill Park...has an extensive history of previous criminal convictions including convictions for assault, assault with a weapon, theft, mischief, being unlawfully at large, obstructing police, and breaching court-ordered conditions...

And this is who Lisa Helps wants us to welcome into our neighbourhoods with open arms.  :whyme:

• Love the rock, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#15085 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:37 PM

"It’s reckless’: Alberta man hit with fine, impounded car after police say he was doing donuts in Victoria park

April 29, 2021

dylan.png
The driver, Dylan, told CHEK News there were no children around. Dylan had gotten into an argument with one of his friends who lives in Irving Park. He had been helping his friend move out of his tent and had some of his stuff in and on top of the car.

In his anger, Dylan said, he decided to get rid of his friend’s belongings.

“I pulled my car up here, slowly, gently, and I methodically cased it out, made sure there were no children around or anyone to bother,” Dylan said. “When I got just past that sign, I did give it a little bit of gas and did a sharp turn.” Dylan said “there were no donuts,” it was just a sharp turn.

“I like this park, I respect this park,” he said. “I didn’t tear the place up and I know that it does not give me a pass and it’s inexcusable the way I behaved but I am learning my lesson.”

“I came here to B.C. to go sailing with my friend and things didn’t work out,” Dylan said. “I was about to get my car and drive back home.”

He says he had stayed in the province to practice altruism and help out those who needed it, including the campers — and in this case, it was helping someone he had come to know move.

“It’s simply people helping people,” Dylan said. “If everybody helped, nobody would ever be in distress.”

Morehttps://www.cheknews...ia-park-776013/

#15086 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 09:10 PM

Stephen Andrew will be putting forward a motion to seek damages from “Dylan.”

Something tells me this gentlemen might not stick around for very long.
  • zoomer and todd like this

Know it all.

#15087 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 09:44 PM

"It’s reckless’: Alberta man hit with fine, impounded car after police say he was doing donuts in Victoria park

April 29, 2021

The driver, Dylan, told CHEK News there were no children around. Dylan had gotten into an argument with one of his friends who lives in Irving Park. He had been helping his friend move out of his tent and had some of his stuff in and on top of the car.

In his anger, Dylan said, he decided to get rid of his friend’s belongings.

“I pulled my car up here, slowly, gently, and I methodically cased it out, made sure there were no children around or anyone to bother,” Dylan said. “When I got just past that sign, I did give it a little bit of gas and did a sharp turn.” Dylan said “there were no donuts,” it was just a sharp turn.

“I like this park, I respect this park,” he said. “I didn’t tear the place up and I know that it does not give me a pass and it’s inexcusable the way I behaved but I am learning my lesson.”

“I came here to B.C. to go sailing with my friend and things didn’t work out,” Dylan said. “I was about to get my car and drive back home.”

He says he had stayed in the province to practice altruism and help out those who needed it, including the campers — and in this case, it was helping someone he had come to know move.

“It’s simply people helping people,” Dylan said. “If everybody helped, nobody would ever be in distress.”

Morehttps://www.cheknews...ia-park-776013/

he's claiming that he drove from Alberta to BC in an uninsured unregistered vehicle to "go sailing with a friend" who quite possibly lives in a tent at the park... and it didn't work out... hrm.. that doesn't seem to pass the smell test to me...

Edited by Midnightly, 29 April 2021 - 09:45 PM.

• Nparker, LJ, GaryRanson and 1 other like this

#15088 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:25 PM

^ It’s just people helping people, that’s all.

Matt.

#15089 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:58 PM

^ It’s just people helping people, that’s all.

Matt.

https://youtu.be/fPlQ6EtArSc

the luckiest people in the world

#15090 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:58 AM

Alberta is not sending their best sailors.

#15091 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:11 AM

That news story "Why many Victoria residents may perceive an increase in crime" omits some indicators that VicPD isn't just whining about whats going on in City of Victoria:

Image 1 below: Victoria-Esquimalt ranks pretty high nationally and very high provincially on the Maclean's serious crime ranking: https://www.macleans...us-places-2020/

Image 2 below: VicPD police officers carry heavier case loads than other independent police forces in the region according to provincial "Police Resources in British Columbia, 2019", page 10: https://www2.gov.bc....e-resources.pdf

Attached Images

• macleans ranking of crime in bc (1).jpg
  • case load crime rates.png

• David Bratzer and pennymurphy2000 like this
:)

#15092 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:47 AM

Black Press prints every single news release from VicPD, posts it to social media, then blames social media for creating an impression of too much criminality.
  • David Bratzer and rmpeers like this

Know it all.

#15093 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:58 AM

kudos to chek though.  interviewing the camaro guy.

it does not seem quite as egregious as the vicpd release said.

and the photo from adam stirling does not show any extensive "donut" marks.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 April 2021 - 05:59 AM.

#15094 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:25 AM

Stephen Andrew will be putting forward a motion to seek damages from “Dylan.”

Something tells me this gentlemen might not stick around for very long.

Good
  • todd likes this

#15095 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:24 AM

Good

If he really wants to make it up to us he can chain himself to a tree in the park where we will throw tomatoes(only tomatoes) at him.

#15096 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:43 AM

Dear Suspect
On the day that these pictures were captured of you, you made the decision to walk into the Best Buy at UpTown and commit a theft.
You made your way into the store and grabbed several hundreds of dollars worth of product and made your way to the till area. Sadly, you walked right passed the tills, where you were confronted by a keen eyed staff member.
The frightening part of this, is you decided that you would pull a knife on the staff member who was just trying to do their job.
Imagine how frightened the staff member was when they saw the knife, not knowing what you might do next, or if they would end up being hurt. Imagine the emotional trauma you have caused them and how your selfish actions affected them deeply.
So now, we are going to share your picture with our amazing followers and we will soon have your name to provide to Police.
See you soon
Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers
Yes, we understand the picture quality isn’t great, but someone out there must recognize the clothing.

SA #21-7647

180529969_3813956171991485_3637619029898 180599352_3813956468658122_2333284943755 179091351_3813961065324329_8787925252840 178502181_3813961201990982_5796006346623

#15097 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 10:10 AM

has survivor stories jumped the shark?

new allegations against a well known nightclub owner plus a reflexology business.

no news articles.

#15098 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 10:25 AM

has survivor stories jumped the shark?

new allegations against a well known nightclub owner plus a reflexology business.

no news articles.

I doubt it's their aim to generate news stories.  They've published several dozen stories over the past year and only a handful have received any media attention. 

#15099 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 10:40 AM

I doubt it's their aim to generate news stories.  They've published several dozen stories over the past year and only a handful have received any media attention. 

there is no doubt that less well-known people or businesses will be less likely to be featured in news stories.  that's the same for court trials and matters.  and i'm not saying survivor stories is trying to create media attention.

but i just wonder if the local media has already had enough.

#15100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 10:40 AM

The ones with media attention tend to revolve around businesses and/or employment scenarios, though. Stories between two adults are difficult for the media to pursue if the allegations are anonymous and the accused makes not formal or public statement regarding them.

We saw in the last round of articles a wait for statements from the organizations associated with the accused.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

David Bratzer