• Please log in to reply
21535 replies to this topic

#15141 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:40 PM

Parents Warned After Suspicious Vehicle Encounter Near Central Middle School

May 4, 2021 - File: #21-17294

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers are warning parents while commending a student for their actions after encountering a potentially suspicious vehicle on their way to school this morning.

This morning, Patrol officers were called to Central Middle School, at 1280 Fort Street, after a student reported to their teacher that they had encountered a suspicious vehicle on their way to school. The student reported that at approximately 8:45 a.m. they felt they were being followed by a white panel van in the Fernwood/North Park area.

The student changed their route so that the van could no longer follow them and informed their teacher upon arriving to class. The teacher informed the principal and the school community is in the process of being notified about the incident out of an abundance of caution.

The student was not physically harmed in the incident and the driver of the van did not interact with the student.

This file remains under investigation.

If you have information about this incident and have not yet spoken with officers, please call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

#15142 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 08:52 PM

I'm glad that couple and other crime victims have come forward to put a face on the issue, so people (like the Mayor!) can't pretend it isn't happening.

I've been raising my kids in James Bay since they were toddlers many years ago, and none of the stuff that's been happening in and around BHP or Irving Park this year is at all normal. Been in and out of those washrooms and through the park with kids many times over the years - no issues. Things were fine until council turned the parks into open air shelters for addicts and the mentally ill. I'm sure they have their struggles, but kids and physically disabled people and old people are vulnerable people too. Their safety counts, too.

Some highlights from this year:

- searching for a geocache in Irving Park with my son under the relentless gaze of a couple of drugged zombies sitting in a tent (never found the cache because we didn't want to get too close to where they were)

- walking through BHP with my kids a couple of weeks ago and getting carefully looked over by a trio of rather fit looking middle aged men with some very nice bikes arranged around their tents (first time I ever played the don't-make-eye-contact game in BHP)

None of these events were crimes or resulted in a call to police, so according to the news and council, I must have been perceiving things that weren't there. And for the record, as of this morning, there were as many tents in Irving Park and Beacon Hill Park as at any time since council let them in, so I don't know what the mayor is talking about.

The Irving Park geocache is mine. The homeless have been commented upon a few times in previous logs, and I occasionally pass by to check on things. I've contemplated disabling the cache on a temporary basis, at least until the encampment has thinned out some. I'm reluctant to just shut it down altogether because it's a good location, and there were few good options for a hide in the park at the time I scouted it. Plus it gets lot of finders during cruise season, at least it did in 2019.

• Greg likes this

#15143 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:06 AM

The Northern Junk project can’t come soon enough.

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers arrested a man yesterday morning after he threatened two pedestrians with a knife.

Shortly before 10 a.m. on Tuesday, May 4th, Patrol officers were called to the 1300-block of Wharf Street for a report that a man brandished a knife and threatened to harm two men. The victims, who were working in the area, reported that they were standing in a parking lot near their vehicle when an agitated man approached them while brandishing a knife. The victims tried to de-escalate the situation, but the man became more aggressive and then abruptly left the parking lot.

Officers attended, located the suspect behind an abandoned building near the scene of the incident, and arrested him without incident. Officers searched the man and located a knife.

The man was the subject of conditions of probation not to possess weapons, stemming from a previous conviction for stabbing a man.

Officers transported the man to VicPD cells where he was held in custody. The man faces recommended charges of assault with a weapon, uttering threats, and breach of probation.

If you have information about this incident and have not spoken to officers, please call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15144 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:09 AM

I guess assaults with weapons are just a part of everyday life in Victoria now.

• sebberry and A Girl is No one like this

#15145 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:16 AM

It's truly sad that we have become so desensitized to this. None of this is acceptable and should be met with widespread outrage and protest. But we are then told we're only perceiving being threatened of getting stabbed with a knife. I just don't understand.
  • Nparker, A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#15146 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:16 AM

Haven't you heard?  The parks are for everyone, not just the law abiding residents of Victoria who intend no harm.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15147 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:18 AM

It's truly sad that we have become so desensitized to this. None of this is acceptable and should be met with widespread outrage and protest. But we are then told we're only perceiving being threatened of getting stabbed with a knife. I just don't understand.

And yet the 'perception' of safety was a key point in the push to lower speed limits, such that when people 'perceived' the roads to be safer they'd ditch their cars to head out biking and walking by the thousands.

• Nparker, Hotel Mike and Barrrister like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15148 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:22 AM

Helps is changing her tune a bit, but the others are doubling down.  I am just not understanding.  Are they brainwashed?  What are they thinking that makes them argue that black is white?

#15149 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:28 AM

Helps is changing her tune a bit, but the others are doubling down.  I am just not understanding.  Are they brainwashed?  What are they thinking that makes them argue that black is white?

I am fully convinced the Together Victoria contingent longs to see the destruction of our society (even while they suckle at its teat). If it takes violence to achieve that goal, so be it.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#15150 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:33 AM

Haven't you heard?  The parks are for everyone, just not the law abiding residents of Victoria who intend no harm.

Fixed that for you.

• Daveyboy, A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#15151 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:01 AM

And yet the 'perception' of safety was a key point in the push to lower speed limits, such that when people 'perceived' the roads to be safer they'd ditch their cars to head out biking and walking by the thousands.

« Safety » is brandished everywhere about everyone and everything with the exception of law abiding people. Apparently there is no end to the dangers they can be exposed to in the name of safety.
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

#15152 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:41 AM

Do what I do, share these notices broadly on social media and tourism boards. "Tweakin Hill Park" is a good one that I have circulated already.

Only way this gets addressed is if our "business and community leaders" start putting pressure on City Hall. They are afraid to do that now because they feel a risk from retaliation. The economic needle needs to move in the other direction to get them to act.

• Nparker likes this

#15153 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:28 AM

I am fully convinced the Together Victoria contingent longs to see the destruction of our society 

I don't think that they actually want to destroy anything, and in their minds are promoting noble change (decolonization, non-market housing, reductions of autos, etc.) but you would think at some point they would finally take note of the unintended consequences.  

It's a bit fascinating (in a morbid sort of way) watching this unfold.  How far will they take this game of chicken before putting on the brakes?  They are already in the ditch, but seem adamant to ignore the upcoming brick wall.

#15154 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:20 PM

I don't think that they actually want to destroy anything, and in their minds are promoting noble change (decolonization, non-market housing, reductions of autos, etc.) but you would think at some point they would finally take note of the unintended consequences.  

It's a bit fascinating (in a morbid sort of way) watching this unfold.  How far will they take this game of chicken before putting on the brakes?  They are already in the ditch, but seem adamant to ignore the upcoming brick wall.

The issue is that recognizing failures means admitting a mistake which is the one thing a politician or activist cannot do under any circumstance.

• Nparker likes this

#15155 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:47 PM

I don't think that they actually want to destroy anything, and in their minds are promoting noble change....

No, I am quite sure they want to destroy our capitalist society.

• A Girl is No one and Belleprincess like this

#15156 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:09 PM

Hate-Motivated Assault Under Investigation

May 5, 2021 - File: #21-17322

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers arrested a man yesterday afternoon after a hate-motivated assault on a woman and her children.

Shortly after 12 p.m. on Tuesday, May 4th, a non-uniformed VicPD officer, in civilian clothes and driving their personal vehicle, witnessed a shirtless man acting erratically in the 3000-block of Quadra Street. The shirtless man yelled and postured aggressively toward a man and his child. The man and child moved away from the suspect for their safety and were not physically harmed.

The suspect then headed towards Quadra Elementary School. The officer followed the man and called for additional uniformed police officers to attend. The suspect then obtained a broom handle and approached a woman walking with a stroller and her four children. The man spat at the family, narrowly missing a child, and yelled racial slurs regarding the family’s Asian ethnicity. The non-uniformed officer approached to intervene and the man then attacked the non-uniformed officer’s vehicle, damaging it.

Uniformed officers arrived and arrested the man moments later. The man was transported to VicPD cells where he was held in custody. He faces recommended charges of assault and mischief. The incident is being treated as a hate-motivated crime.

British Columbia and North America have seen significant increases in hate-motivated crime towards Asian persons. Thankfully we have not seen a similar significant increase in these crimes towards Asian members of our Victoria and Esquimalt communities.

If you have information about this incident and have not spoken to officers, please call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

#15157 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 06:00 PM

We have recently been made aware of graphic, detailed and sexually explicit letters that are being sent to women in sales positions at car dealerships and real estate offices locally and in other regions.

One letter contained a detailed account of graphic and forceful sex acts, another noted “you’re next” and each included the same explicit drawing of the sex act.

The recipients have contacted police and handed the letters over for forensic examination. Anyone that receives a similar letter should contact their local detachment as soon as possible.

#15158 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:16 PM

-And now for a change of pace. Hardly any bank jobs anymore...

Suspect Sought After Bank Robbery

May 5, 2021 - File: #21-17390

Victoria, BC – Detectives with VicPD’s Major Crime Unit are asking for assistance in identifying a suspect after a bank robbery in Victoria on Tuesday evening.

Shortly after 5:30 p.m. on TuesdayMay 4th, Patrol officers were called to a bank in the 1000-block of Douglas Street for a report of a robbery. The suspect used a note to commit the offence and then left the area. No one was physically injured in the incident.

The suspect is described as a Caucasian man standing approximately five feet, six inches tall. The suspect wore a black hooded sweater with the hood up, black-rimmed glasses, and a blue medical mask. The suspect also wore brown pants, red shoes, and a black backpack with a white patterned print on it. Images of the suspect are available below.

21-17390-Bank-robbery-suspect-1-722x1024

21-17390-Bank-robbery-suspect-2-717x1024

#15159 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:09 PM

A note ? A note ? I'll try this next time I'm accosted in downtown Victoria by some drugged up homeless. I'll keep a few in my pocket in case there's more than one of them.

#15160 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:17 AM

No, I am quite sure they want to destroy our capitalist society.

100 percent.. some even say so
  • A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users