Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21442 replies to this topic

#15201 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 05:20 PM

...Patrol officers were in the process of investigating a call regarding a report of a man with a gun in Beacon Hill Park just before 10 p.m. Saturday night, when they were also called to a multi-unit residential temporary housing building in the 1900-block of Douglas Street for a 911 call reporting that a man had been stabbed...

Do the "wraparound supports" include free shuttle service between BHP and Paul's Motor Inn?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#15202 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:04 PM

Rather than go on about outer communities suffering from crime as a result of Help's dreamtopia that is current Victoria, I figured I would make this post a show and tell.

This took place early today somewhere on Happy Valley Road. I've cut out the female victim's name on this Facebook post cause God knows she's been traumatized enough.

LangfordCrime.png

Edited by FawltyVic, 10 May 2021 - 08:07 PM.

• sebberry likes this

#15203 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:13 PM

And this is apparently "The Happy Valley Looney" running nearby:

looney.png

#15204 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:09 AM

He attacked a man with a hatchet near a Vancouver Sky Train station, punched a car salesman and a psychiatric nurse, threw feces at a correctional officer, threatened to kill doctors and talked about building a bomb, shooting people in a parking lot and giving them injections by force.

Andrew Agopsowicz was considered such a danger to public safety that when he was released from Royal Jubilee Hospital’s psychiatric intensive care unit on April 27, police set up surveillance and followed him.

Agopsowicz was arrested almost immediately for breaching court orders not to consume alcohol and drugs, after police watched him down two beers then smoke crack cocaine in a glass pipe outside 844 Johnson St., a supportive-housing facility.

At his bail hearing the next day, Victoria provincial court Judge Ted Gouge made it clear he believed Agopsowicz was a public danger and should be kept in hospital.

“Please convey to Andrew Agopsowicz’s physicians that I think the decision to discharge him from hospital was a mistake and we can only hope it does not have tragic consequences,” said Gouge.

https://www.timescol...-man-1.24317493

Agopsowicz was found dead of a suspected drug overdose at 2 a.m. on April 29, less than 12 hours after his release from custody.

hard to know what to do with a guy like that.  maybe it's just better that he's dead.  i mean better for nearly everyone else he seemed to come into contact with.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 May 2021 - 05:14 AM.

• jasmineshinga and A Girl is No one like this

#15205 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:15 AM

This is the tragic cycle that this system has created.

• Nparker, sebberry and A Girl is No one like this

#15206 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 07:51 AM

When I read that, sorry to say my first thought upon reading that he had died, was thank God. 

#15207 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:07 AM

Assault with Knife Leaves Youth with Minor Injuries

May 6, 2021 - File: #21-10075

On Thursday May 6th, 2021 at 2:45 pm Saanich Police received a call about an assault involving a knife that had just taken place inside a business at Saanich Plaza at 3995 Quadra Street.

One person was injured as a result of an assault with a knife. The suspect left the store but was located by one of our Bike Patrol officers not far from the plaza. They were taken into custody without incident, where it was discovered that they too had sustained minor injuries from the incident inside the business.

The victim and suspect were taken to the hospital to be treated for injuries that are not considered to be life-threatening. Our officers remain on scene at the plaza to gather evidence, speak to witnesses and continue with their investigation.

“Both involved were known to one another, are youth under the age of 16, and there is no risk to the public.”

Cst. Markus Anastasiades
Public Information and Communications Office

#15208 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 03:14 PM

Do You Recognize This Hit And Run Suspect?

May 11, 2020 - File: #21-16547

Victoria, BC – VicPD Traffic officers are asking for your assistance in identifying a suspect in a hit and run.

At approximately 1 p.m. on Thursday, April 29th, VicPD Traffic officers were called to a report of a hit and run in the parking lot of a multi-unit temporary housing facility in the 2900-block of Douglas Street. Officers attended and located a vehicle which had sustained significant front-end damage. The suspect vehicle and driver had already left the scene.

The suspect is described as middle-aged Caucasian man wearing a dark hooded sweater, jeans, and a baseball hat. The suspect drove a grey, four-door Dodge Ram 2500 truck with a chrome grill and bumper. The truck had black wheel rims and chrome running boards. Photographs of the suspect and truck are available below.

The incident is believed to have occurred at approximately 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 29th. This file remains under investigation.

If you witnessed this incident, or have information about the vehicle or suspect, please call our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654, extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

HR-1.pngHR-2.png

#15209 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:07 PM

Victoria police officers arrested a man the believe threatened two women and others downtown while brandishing a fishing knife on Monday.

Officers responded to the 1200-block of Commercial Alley just after 2:15 p.m. for a report about an agitated man threatening people with a knife.

Officers found a man who matched the suspect description and used crisis intervention and de-escalation techniques before taking the man into custody without further incident.

https://www.vicnews....ntown-victoria/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 May 2021 - 05:07 PM.

#15210 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:31 PM

-Yeah, he's a real stand-up guy all right :(

‘This is the part that I played’: Langford man says he drove 12-year-old Ally Thomas to buy drugs

May 11, 2021

210511-AL-Langford-Man.jpg
A Langford man says he's under investigation by RCMP for driving 12-year-old Ally Thomas downtown to buy drugs the night she died.

The 33-year-old man, who would only provide his first name, Cale, says he drove the Grade 6 student and her two friends downtown to buy heroin on April 14. While he insists he didn’t know Thomas, or how young she was, he says it’s something he’s done with numerous young people before.

“Knowing that they can’t overcome physical situations, like meeting a man downtown and he’s physically able to overcome her strength, I worry about that,” he said. “I’m able to at least get you to where you need to go and keep an eye out for you.”

Morehttps://www.cheknews...y-drugs-784833/

• Love the rock likes this

#15211 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:35 PM

Cale claims that he brought the trio to the McDonalds parking lot on Pandora Avenue, then walked them across the street. However, he says he didn’t see who they bought the drugs from.

across the street to the Our Place gang/dealers.  of course.

While Cale doesn’t do heroin or fentanyl, he says he does use other substances and also struggles with mental health issues.

“We definitely aren’t getting the help we need and I mean when does somebody finally stand up and say ‘hey this is what I did, this is the part that I played if you want to sit and judge me on that go ahead’, but I’m past that, I’m at the point where let’s fricking do something about this because there’s kids dying out there, and to me nobody should have to die,” he said, calling for the government to offer more mental health and addictions supports and services.

West Shore RCMP are now investigating the 12-year-old’s death. Police involvement is not common in most overdose deaths.

“Given the young age of the child it’s not surprising that there’s going to be some much greater scrutiny given to the circumstances that led to a 12-year-old having drugs that she might be able to use and ultimately die from,” said Michael Mulligan, a criminal defense lawyer in Victoria.

Mulligan says those involved could face anything from drug trafficking charges to criminal negligence causing death to manslaughter.

“If you had somebody convicted of trafficking fentanyl to a 12-year-old, jail would not only be a likelihood it would be a certainty,” he said.

Cale says he has undergone a five hour interview with RCMP and had his house searched but so far he has not been charged with any crime.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 May 2021 - 05:38 PM.

#15212 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:45 PM

Victoria police officers arrested a man the believe threatened two women and others downtown while brandishing a fishing knife on Monday....

I first read this as "fish knife" and I thought for a moment that one of the fine folks behind the tweed curtain had finally had enough of the CoV's nonsense.

fishknife.jpg

#15213 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:05 AM

across the street to the Our Place gang/dealers.  of course.

The only reason anyone gives a crap about this case is that it made the front page of the TC and the family has been outspoken. 

If we want to start sending drug dealers to jail then so be it, but lets not pretend that the blind eye the police have turned to street dealing for the last decade hasn't had an impact. 

Oh and the 'woke' crowd of course want to legalize all hard drugs since we all know that that will reduce the number of addicts we have and that nobody ever overdosed before fentanyl was developed.

• Nparker, rmpeers and Barrrister like this

#15214 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:15 PM

Victoria police aim to make sweeping arrests during #VicPDWarrantWednesday

Officers working to locate people with active arrest warrants

May 12, 2021

Victoria police officers will be working to nab as many people with active warrants as possible during their #VicPDWarrantWednesday enforcement project May 12.

A 25-year-old woman wanted for failing to appear in court related to an assault and breach of probation file was the first to be arrested Wednesday morning. Officers located her in the 800-block of Hillside Avenue.

#15215 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:20 PM

not this again. can’t this just be a daily program? then they don’t pile up in the community.

#15216 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 01:00 PM

11 arrests so far.....many if not most coming from "temporary housing facilities".  

• Nparker likes this

#15217 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 01:13 PM

I know. Maybe that could be a question on the application for housing form... you know like everyone else has to fill out when they want to occupy living quarters in a building.

Do you have any outstanding warrants? Yes No

Simple. That way the cops don’t have to wake everybody up Wednesday morning on the oft chance someone is just chillin’ after a graveyard shift.
  • kitty surprise, Victoria Watcher and Teardrop like this

#15218 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 01:15 PM

11 arrests so far.....many if not most coming from "temporary housing facilities".  

They are freeing up space to meet Eby's deadline. Cops get to spend the rest of the week doing paperwork and bad guys will be back out this afternoon.

Edited by spanky123, 12 May 2021 - 01:16 PM.

• sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

#15219 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 02:25 PM

They are freeing up space to meet Eby's deadline. Cops get to spend the rest of the week doing paperwork and bad guys will be back out this afternoon.

i don't think you lose your space just because you've been arrested.  not sure how long you'd have to be away for court and jail sentence before you lose your spot.  30 or 60 days maybe?

#15220 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 02:53 PM

Wouldn’t you love if someone asked these questions?
What proportion of beds is used each night, ie with someone sleeping in it (the person the room has been provided to)?
How long is a room held when someone stops showing up?
Very basic info. We would ask this for any other business other than the poverty business.
  • Nparker, Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), Mike P.