Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21551 replies to this topic

#16241 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 11:19 AM

Big incident on the Saanich/Victoria border on Douglas at Tolmie. Douglas is shut down from roughly Cloverdale to Finlayson. Police are dealing with someone on crisis. Hard to tell where, but it could be the Tim Hortons. https://www.facebook...59661232044362/

Sincere question:

What does in mean when a person is "in crisis"? Have they forgotten their cell phone at home?

Also when missing person alerts say "high risk" person - high risk for what? 

These media alerts are so vague they could mean anything. 

How can the public properly understand the impact to themselves with no other details?

#16242 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 11:24 AM

Also when missing person alerts say "high risk" person - high risk for what? 

Now, anyone who fits several (or in some cases one) of the following criteria are considered high risk, prompting an immediate issuance of a missing person call out: if they are under 18, female, Indigenous, suffer from mental or physical health issues, suffer from drug addiction, are involved in high-risk trafficking, have a medical diagnosis of Alzheimer’s or dementia, or if going missing is uncharacteristic.

“It’s very quick for someone to be considered high risk,” Osoko said. “But for youth files it’s hard to balance out.”

https://www.vicnews....missing-person/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 September 2021 - 11:25 AM.

#16243 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 02:13 PM

sometimes tripping a guy up on conditions later is the easier and even better path.

except for the newest victim, who would have been spared if the guy hadn’t been released.

#16244 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 02:37 PM

^ I mean you get him on a curfew or substance violation or failure to check in.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#16245 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 03:38 PM

The discovery of a dead man at a Saanich home on Wednesday (Sept. 8) is being treated as a homicide, Saanich police say.

Officers responded to a 911 call at approximately 11:30 a.m. at a residence on Battleford Avenue and found the man’s body. The investigation has been taken over by the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit.

https://www.vicnews....y-was-murdered/

I am not sure we knew previously that the victim here was a male. that adds some intrigue.

Phlower Longia said he was working on a construction project about 10 or 10:30 a.m. Wednesday with two other people at a home a few doors down when they heard a voice that wasn’t recognizable as female or male.

The person said “Help me, help me, please” four or five times, he said.

A few minutes later, he heard: “Please don’t, please don’t” a couple of times.

https://www.timescol...p-me-1.24356952

Battleford was also the scene of the recent fire that was and then wasn’t deemed arson.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 September 2021 - 03:41 PM.

#16246 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 03:45 PM

Armed Man Deceased After Officer-Involved Shooting 

Date: Sunday, September 12, 2021 - Files: VicPD #21-37353, Saanich Police #21-20833

Victoria, BC – A man is deceased after an officer-involved shooting in Victoria this morning.

Shortly before 10 a.m. Saanich Police Department officers were called to the 3500-block of Douglas Street for a report of an armed man in crisis and making threats. While attending, officers learned of an additional report that the man had stolen from a nearby liquor store while armed.

Several officers from VicPD deployed to the scene at Douglas Street and Tolmie Avenue to assist with the incident, given the close proximity to VicPD’s policing area.

Officers engaged with the man until approximately 11 a.m. An interaction then occurred between VicPD officers and the armed man, and a VicPD officer shot the man.

VicPD officers then immediately transitioned to provide emergency first aid to the man, while BC Emergency Health Services Paramedics moved in to take over medical care. However, the man died of his injuries on scene.

The officers were not physically injured in the incident.

The Independent Investigations Office of BC (IIO) has been notified and will be conducting an independent investigation. If anyone has any information regarding the incident, please contact the IIO at 1-855-446-8477.

#16247 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 03:50 PM

a lot of work by the press release writer to tell us several times the man was armed. with what - they never tell us. when they turn it over to the IIO they don’t usually slip in their side of the story so strongly and quickly first.

between the headline and the article it says “armed” 4 times. no indication that he robbed the liquor store. just that he shoplifted while “armed”.

maybe if two police departments hadn’t diverged on him simultaneously just out of convenience he would have been less agitated.

I stand with the dead guy on this one until I know more (about 2.5 years from now).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 September 2021 - 03:58 PM.

#16248 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 04:32 PM

Now, anyone who fits several (or in some cases one) of the following criteria are considered high risk, prompting an immediate issuance of a missing person call out: if they are under 18, female, Indigenous, suffer from mental or physical health issues, suffer from drug addiction, are involved in high-risk trafficking, have a medical diagnosis of Alzheimer’s or dementia, or if going missing is uncharacteristic.

That's almost everyone. This needs a rethink.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#16249 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 04:35 PM

it seems broad.

#16250 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:15 AM

i think that the shots we hear as the guy runs south along the bank wall are probably not from an normal gun, but they appear to miss him.  hard to hit a running target.

but then they have him trapped in these bushes.

it's 10am on a sunday.  he's not too much of a danger there.  surely they could have found a better way to deal with him than just killing him.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2021 - 06:16 AM.

#16251 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:20 AM

What is the homicide total for 2021?

- Carberry Gardens
- Battleford Ave
- Sooke Road at Kangaroo
- Dallas Road af Beacon Hill Park
- police shooting on Douglas

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16252 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:28 AM

I stand with the dead guy on this one until I know more (about 2.5 years from now).

Why would you jump to the conclusion that the police were in the wrong when you have zero knowledge (beyond what is in the media) of the incident?

• A Girl is No one and Brayvehart like this

#16253 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:39 AM

Why would you jump to the conclusion that the police were in the wrong when you have zero knowledge (beyond what is in the media) of the incident?

• we know the weapon was only a knife.
  • we know at least a dozen cops were there.
  • we know it was sunday and nearby businesses were mostly closed, the street was barricaded, and there was very limited public risk.  he was mostly confined to a pretty small area

i do not doubt that this guy likely ran at cop/cops with knife in hand "suicide by cop" style.  i think he might have been de-escalated better.  he wasn't all there upstairs mentally.  and in that case i think the danger to cops was limited.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2021 - 08:40 AM.

#16254 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:56 AM

I don't think the onus is in any way on the public to simply accept a VicPD press release that attempts to explain a dead suspect on the grounds of a large public mall ... rather the onus is 100% on VicPD to prove that the killing was 100% (unquestionably) justified.

Asking probing questions and acting as devils advocate as to VicPD choices and actions is how the general public ensure that VicPD don't just assume that their press release is the end of the story.

#16255 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:58 AM

why does the video not include the actual shooting part? does it exist or did CHEK choose not to share that part?  was the person shooting the video pushed back by other officers arriving and thus could no longer shoot the video?  i suspect that might have happened as the initial video looks to be shot by someone closer than you'd expect cops to allow.  and that is a shame.  12+ cops there and we have zero video of the incident (maybe the bank has some).  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2021 - 09:05 AM.

#16256 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:25 AM

^ Maybe because CHEK thinks that showing a person being shot to death isn't good for kids!

#16257 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:28 AM

I don't think the onus is in any way on the public to simply accept a VicPD press release that attempts to explain a dead suspect on the grounds of a large public mall ... rather the onus is 100% on VicPD to prove that the killing was 100% (unquestionably) justified.

Asking probing questions and acting as devils advocate as to VicPD choices and actions is how the general public ensure that VicPD don't just assume that their press release is the end of the story.

Not questioning that, just wondering why the assumption is that the cops were in the wrong even before any investigation has taken place.

#16258 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:36 AM

how about a new rule.  when the 10th cops arrives on any scene like this, their job is to safely film it only.  at the very least we can avoid lots of investigation time afterwards and at best we can get right to the point and move on.

#16259 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:12 AM

“Based on what I know, I have every confidence that our officers acted appropriately based on their training and their experience,” Victoria Police Chief Del Manak said in a video statement Sunday night. He added he believes it’s important that no one rushes to judgement before an investigation is complete.

https://www.vicnews....saanich-border/

didn't he just do the very same thing?  rush to judgment.  he wasn't there.  and unlikely had interviewed dozens of both Saanich and Victoria police officers by the time he made this statement.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2021 - 10:13 AM.

#16260 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:23 AM

I'm also not sure that simply because a local Chief of Police dictates, in a rushed news conference, that "the public not rush to judgment" ... that folks are in any way obliged to follow that completely unsolicited directive.

There's a video, there's facts as they were presented ... and folks can piece together information as they see fit to.

I think most folks with access to the information as it's been presented to date would have exactly the same reaction - which is to question whether this guy really needed to die?

Totally legit.

Edited by Spy Black, 13 September 2021 - 11:24 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users

pontcanna, Bing (1)