The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21540 replies to this topic

#16261 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 12:16 PM

my first thought was why didn't they use a taser if the guy only had a knife, but one of the witnesses on the chek story said (at one point anyway) he was holding the knife to his throat, so i guess he was out of range of a taser?

Edited by amor de cosmos, 13 September 2021 - 05:16 PM.

#16262 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 01:31 PM

Did anyone see the church on the corner of view and Blanchard today? I’m surprised it wasn’t all over the news

#16263 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 01:40 PM

Did anyone see the church on the corner of view and Blanchard today? I’m surprised it wasn’t all over the news.

I assume you mean St. Andrew's Cathedral. What was the issue?

#16264 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 01:41 PM

What about the church?

#16265 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 01:45 PM

Covered in red spray paint EVERYWHERE. Said things like murderer, racist… all over doors, Pilars. Made my heart stop when I walked by.
  • Matt R. likes this

#16266 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 01:48 PM

Erratic driving complaint results in arrest for stolen vehicle in Metchosin

September 13, 2021

Mounties say a woman was arrested on stolen vehicle charges in Metchosin Sunday after she was pulled over for a complaint she was driving erratically.

Nancy Klein, 48, now faces three charges related to possession of stolen property and one count of wilfully resisting or obstructing a peace officer.

Morehttps://www.cheknews...tchosin-883012/

#16267 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 01:55 PM

Church details on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.c...ral_vandalized/

#16268 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Covered in red spray paint EVERYWHERE. Said things like murderer, racist… all over doors, pillars

Just be thankful they didn't burn the cathedral to the ground. Apparently, hate crimes against Christian churches are not crimes at all anymore.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#16269 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Covered in red spray paint EVERYWHERE. Said things like murderer, racist… all over doors, Pilars. Made my heart stop when I walked by.

I am sure that there are a few video cameras in that area.

#16270 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 03:54 PM

my first thought was why didn't they use a taser if the guy only had a knife, but one of the witnesses said he was holding the knife to his throat, & i guess he was out of range of a taser?

There are times that a taser won't take someone down.   Highly unlikely that he was shot "just because" he wouldn't follow instructions.  Much more likely that he was shot because he threatened to use lethal force against someone or the police themselves.  Suicide by purposely confronting the Police is another possibility.  But it's all just guessing at this point.

One option is to have Police no longer attend these types of events regardless of knives and guns.  Have Potts and her merry band take change and lets see what happens.  

• Nparker and Vicrazy like this

#16271 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:27 PM

The union has released a statement: https://twitter.com/...0020267017?s=21

They are critical of the “revolving door” approach to individuals who struggle with mental health issues, and are involved in criminality.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16272 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:43 PM

The union has released a statement: https://twitter.com/...0020267017?s=21

They are critical of the “revolving door” approach to individuals who struggle with mental health issues, and are involved in criminality.

Finally!!!

#16273 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:06 PM

Man Arrested For Assault As Officers Work To Keep The Peace At The BC Legislature And Ensure Access To Medical Facilities During Protests

Date: Monday, September 13, 2021 - File: #21-37072

Victoria, BC – A man was arrested for assault during a protest at the BC Legislature today as officers responded to multiple locations to ensure protest gatherings remained safe, peaceful and lawful and that patients and staff had unimpeded access to Royal Jubilee Hospital and medical facilities.

Officers and staff, including members of Greater Victoria’s Public Safety Unit (PSU) - comprised of officers from Greater Victoria’s municipal police departments - as well as VicPD’s Community Services Division (CSD) Beat, Bike and VicPD Traffic sections, Patrol, Operational Planning and Community Engagement Division sections all worked to respond to the protests.

While protests at hospitals and other health care facilities took place in various cities across Canada, today’s protests in Victoria remained focused at the BC Legislature, Centennial Square and some local media outlets. In addition to attending the protests at the BC Legislature, officers provided routine patrols to Royal Jubilee Hospital and health care facilities.

One man was arrested during the protest at the BC Legislature after a person was assaulted by being doused with a hot liquid. Officers intervened and arrested the man. Some members of the crowd followed officers, the arrested man and the victim as officers moved the parties away from the area to gather additional information for the investigation. Additional officers responded to protect those involved in the incident and to allow the investigating officers to do their work. The victim sustained non-life-threatening injuries, but declined medical treatment. The man was transported to cells. No charges have yet been sworn in this incident, which remains under investigation.

If you have information about the incident, but have not spoken with officers, please call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 9945-7654 extension 1. You can report what you know anonymously by calling Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

#16274 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:07 PM

As a society, we have entirely failed those who suffer from mental illness for the sake of "rights & freedoms".

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#16275 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:25 PM

As a society, we have entirely failed those who suffer from mental illness for the sake of "rights & freedoms".

Problem is that everyone these days has a mental illness. It is the progressive's way of implying that no decision is anyone's fault, it is the illness that is making the poor choices.

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#16276 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:26 PM

Finally!!!

They are getting out in front of the inevitable calls to defund the police and limit their power. I am assuming the victim was Caucasian as else we would have had protests from the BIPOC groups by now.

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#16277 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:41 PM

Problem is that everyone these days has a mental illness. It is the progressive's way of implying that no decision is anyone's fault, it is the illness that is making the poor choices.

Can't say I entirely agree with you on this. Mental illness is not a "progressive" vs "conservative" matter, as some folks like to suggest.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#16278 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:52 PM

The discovery of a dead man at a Saanich home on Wednesday (Sept. 8) is being treated as a homicide, Saanich police say.

Officers responded to a 911 call at approximately 11:30 a.m. at a residence on Battleford Avenue and found the man’s body. The investigation has been taken over by the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit.

https://www.vicnews....y-was-murdered/

I am not sure we knew previously that the victim here was a male. that adds some intrigue.

Phlower Longia said he was working on a construction project about 10 or 10:30 a.m. Wednesday with two other people at a home a few doors down when they heard a voice that wasn’t recognizable as female or male.

The person said “Help me, help me, please” four or five times, he said.

A few minutes later, he heard: “Please don’t, please don’t” a couple of times.

https://www.timescol...p-me-1.24356952

Battleford was also the scene of the recent fire that was and then wasn’t deemed arson.

How do you hear someone say "help me" four or five times and not respond?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#16279 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 03:02 AM

yes it’s very strange. you have go over and see what’s up.

#16280 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 03:11 AM

Did anyone see the church on the corner of view and Blanchard today? I’m surprised it wasn’t all over the news

Similar graffiti showed up nearby at Lansdowne School in Saanich and at St. Andrew’s Cathedral in downtown Victoria. The words “killer” and “racist” were painted in red on the cathedral’s exterior.

Bernoties is hoping someone will have seen red or orange on hands or clothes and contact police.

“Enough paint was used that it is likely they have some on themselves.”

https://www.timescol...ting-1.24357607

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 September 2021 - 03:12 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)